By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 Reactions - Colin, Kinda Funny

Microsoft's show was kinda boring? Yeah, let's go with boring.

Sony's was more entertaining, less talking heads and more games was a nice change of pace. Way too many of the former in the MS show.

Nintendo had a Zelda trailer so I guess that's something.

THE DEFINITIVE RANKING:

Sony>Nintendo(Zelda)>MS>don't care about the others

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Lrdfancypants said:

aren't their card game, moba and FPS new IP's?  I've only tried over watch.  

You mean Heroes of the storm, and Heartstone that are absolutely dominating? Yes. Heartstone is a very big card game that everyone is currently trying to copy and rip off.

Fairly strange since Azzanation wrote an entire article about blizzard and how they are the best in the industry. Writing an article about how they are "the best in the industry" only to then make a point trashing them.

That's  what I didn't understand. He talked about their new ip over watch and how they were the best because of trying new things. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

While I'm still excited for more Xbox games shown at e3, I'd still say Sony won just for their format: very minimal talking, non-stop trailers is where it should be at next year, as well as exciting new IPs.

But I feel there is an exaggeration in this win. None of the games announced have a release date, not even the vague 2017 or Holiday 2017 usually for these types of announcements. It's hard for me to get excited for games that are so untangible, so far away. It's basically a repeat of last year, where some people thought Sony won because of TLG, Shenmue 3, and FFVIIR. Yet a year later, none of them are released, and we haven't heard from 2 of them in a long time. Is anyone really still that hyped for Shenmue 3 of FFVIIR?

this is basically a repeat of last year

Aonuma's dick must be pretty cold from how long he had it out on display today.

Lrdfancypants said:
Azzanation said:

Blizzard havent made a new IP for 10 years until Overwatch just recently. You have just proved my point even further. Blizzard use the games that there fans want to play, they tackle new genres all the time however they use there beloved franchises to do it. Yes a new IP is good every so often however it isnt a must. For example, I wouldnt buy or even look at Halo Wars 2 if it wasnt related to the Halo universe because i just simply wouldnt care enough, regardless how good it is.

lol I was just about to say the moba, card game, and Overwatch all seem like new IP's to me; I can't find much to criticize in Blizzard's approach over the past two decades.

hiccupthehuman said:
While I'm still excited for more Xbox games shown at e3, I'd still say Sony won just for their format: very minimal talking, non-stop trailers is where it should be at next year, as well as exciting new IPs.

But I feel there is an exaggeration in this win. None of the games announced have a release date, not even the vague 2017 or Holiday 2017 usually for these types of announcements. It's hard for me to get excited for games that are so untangible, so far away. It's basically a repeat of last year, where some people thought Sony won because of TLG, Shenmue 3, and FFVIIR. Yet a year later, none of them are released, and we haven't heard from 2 of them in a long time. Is anyone really still that hyped for Shenmue 3 of FFVIIR?

Yeah, I agreed with that sentiment. Sony had the games I was most interested in outside of Zelda, but it seems to me that they've gotten too much credit two years in a row for games that had distant release dates. Microsoft's stuff is mostly coming out in the near future.

Still, I think Last Guardian got a solid date and such, and while it will eventually be on the PC FFXV is coming out soon. Sony's presentations certainly make it look like there's some amazing years ahead, if not in the immediate future.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Lrdfancypants said:

lol I was just about to say the moba, card game, and Overwatch all seem like new IP's to me; I can't find much to criticize in Blizzard's approach over the past two decades.

hiccupthehuman said:

Yeah, I agreed with that sentiment. Sony had the games I was most interested in outside of Zelda, but it seems to me that they've gotten too much credit two years in a row for games that had distant release dates. Microsoft's stuff is mostly coming out in the near future.

Still, I think Last Guardian got a solid date and such, and while it will eventually be on the PC FFXV is coming out soon. Sony's presentations certainly make it look like there's some amazing years ahead, if not in the immediate future.

Yep, I am not criticizing blizzard either.

I just do not understand how he went from their the best dev ever for leaving their comfort zone and trying new things (while criticizing other devs people liked as one trick ponies) to now saying new IPs "are not normally a good thing".

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

I edited the thread title, but I'm leaving the OP as is. Not really an image I need in my head, and certainly not a thread title I want to see while going through the recent topics.

And though the quote in the OP isn't much better, please keep the tasteless comments out of here.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Lrdfancypants said:
Azzanation said:

Blizzard havent made a new IP for 10 years until Overwatch just recently. You have just proved my point even further. Blizzard use the games that there fans want to play, they tackle new genres all the time however they use there beloved franchises to do it. Yes a new IP is good every so often however it isnt a must. For example, I wouldnt buy or even look at Halo Wars 2 if it wasnt related to the Halo universe because i just simply wouldnt care enough, regardless how good it is.

Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are not new IPs, Hearthstone uses the Warcraft franchise hence why its called Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft and Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA game that uses already existing Blizzard IPs. OverWatch is Blizzards first new IP in 10+years.

Theres a difference between IPs and Game Genres. Example, Halo Wars 2 is not a new IP because its a RTS version of Halo.

Azzanation said:
Lrdfancypants said:

Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are not new IPs, Hearthstone uses the Warcraft franchise hence why its called Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft and Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA game that uses already existing Blizzard IPs. OverWatch is Blizzards first new IP in 10+years.

Theres a difference between IPs and Game Genres. Example, Halo Wars 2 is not a new IP because its a RTS version of Halo.

I suppose that's true, would be more accurate to call it them new franchises as opposed to IPs. Really little need to make the distinction though, as those games are entirely unique within their library and do indeed represent a step outside of their comfort zone.

Besides, how could they NOT use Warcraft for the card game and multiple franchises for their moba? Their lores are so incredibly fleshed out and stock full of great characters at this point that they'd be foolish not to lol

Personally, I think Blizzard should make a new Lost Vikings for mobile; it's a game that would work perfectly there, would be cheap to create, and I suspect would make them a fortune. I loved the snes one! :)

Btw I just realized that Colin guy is about the most insufferable game journalist I've encountered as I looked through his articles haha, you can even tell just from the videos that he has the kind of personality that would have your skin crawling in time.

Seriously, check out him featuring in this youtube video, it's pretty hilarious and the dude can't admit when he's wrong.

https://youtu.be/T2T1t05WLPs?t=330