By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

I'm waiting for the first passive cooled AMD GPUs that will allow 1080p gaming at mid-high FX and 60fps or higher.
If it won't be possible next year, I'll start my next major upgrade with a Polaris+Zen APU and I'll upgrade with a discrete GPU later.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

So there's a guy on Youtube that has up supposed RX 480 benchmark videos. He seems to be legit, he posted a video of the card itself on his instagram. If the benchmarks are real, the results are underwhelming to say the least, but it's worth noting that AMD's release drivers aren't out yet apparently, hopefully they make a big difference.

Overwatch 1080p Ultra: 90-105 fps
Witcher 3 mix of High/Ultra: 55-70 fps
CS:GO High/Very High: 200-240 fps
GTA V High: 49-65 fps

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc87nj5wQB4EK-Ssa1S9Dhg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG-TWLWwDHp/?hl=en

There's something about those results that look fishy, although that may be because of the lack of proper drivers.

For example, looking at Guru3D's review of the GTX 1070, testing at 1080p and MAX settings, the 7950 nets 49 fps, and the 7970 GHz (that became the 280X) 64 fps. Can the RX 480 be slower than those two cards? And I say slower, because one is running GTA V at high and the other two at max. settings.

I don't think so.

I could also mention The Witcher 3, but given that he's using a custom setup, it's almost impossible to compare... but I can use TechSpot's review of Overwatch that also uses Ultra settings:  A result of 90-105 would make the 480 slower than the 7970 GHz/280X.

And again, I don't believe it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

There's something about those results that look fishy, although that may be because of the lack of proper drivers.

For example, looking at Guru3D's review of the GTX 1070, testing at 1080p and MAX settings, the 7950 nets 49 fps, and the 7970 GHz (that became the 280X) 64 fps. Can the RX 480 be slower than those two cards? And I say slower, because one is running GTA V at high and the other two at max. settings.

I don't think so.

I could also mention The Witcher 3, but given that he's using a custom setup, it's almost impossible to compare... but I can use TechSpot's review of Overwatch that also uses Ultra settings:  A result of 90-105 would make the 480 slower than the 7970 GHz/280X.

And again, I don't believe

Yeah, it smells fishy to me too. For starters his methodology is poor, using mixed settings instead of presets. Secondly, his benchmarks are showing results in line with the 280x, a 2 generations old 80 level card, which is way too low. The 5+ teraflops rating and 3D Mark results suggest it should at least match the 390x, not a 280x. Witcher 3 should be 60 fps or more at Ultra, not 50 fps at high/ultra mixed. Overwatch should be about 110fps at ultra. Maybe it's just the lack of updated drivers causing the lackluster performance, but I wouldn't think drivers would make that big of a difference. He must be using a weaker card and passing it off as as an RX 480. He does have 8GB of VRAM in GTA V though, is there a weaker card with 8GB of VRAM?

Where did you see the 8GB in GTA V? I see about 4GB in The Witcher 3 and about 5GB in Doom.

And I only remember the 290X having 8GB versions, but not any other.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

Where did you see the 8GB in GTA V? I see about 4GB in The Witcher 3 and about 5GB in Doom.

And I only remember the 290X having 8GB versions, but not any other.

In this video he has 8 GB of VRAM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ69NZzrB2E

I think 390 is the only other 8GB card that would have weaker performance than people are expecting from the 480, so maybe he faked this with a 390 and badly outdated drivers. 

I failed to see the bar at the top of the menu.

And yes, that's the only other option, but it would be a lot of work to just put the 480 in bad shape.

In any case, in 6 days we'll know if the 480 is a worthy card or if AMD has failed again.

There was a youtube video of a RX 480 doing Overwatch at 4k with max settings, and doing so at over 60 fps.

I know overwatch isnt the most demanding game but still.... its able to do it with 4k and everything maxed.

To me thats still impressive.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

There was a youtube video of a RX 480 doing Overwatch at 4k with max settings, and doing so at over 60 fps.

I know overwatch isnt the most demanding game but still.... its able to do it with 4k and everything maxed.

To me thats still impressive.

That is actually quite impressive. That puts the performance exactly where I was hoping it would be, on par with the 300 series Fury's:

Hopefully this other guy is just some Nvidia fanboy that's trying to make AMD look bad with fake benchmarks.

^ this video.

its a "teaser" video, he doesnt show the fps, but implies its 4k and maxed settings, avg over 60fps.

I think the RX 480 is around R9 Fury & maybe slightly above the Nvidia 980.

But slightly behinde the 980ti & Fury X.

Still I think once its had a few driver updates, and you OC these things... they will fly.

JEMC said:
shikamaru317 said:

Nice. I'm hoping to see MSI and ASUS release some axial 480's before too long, I tend to prefer their cooling systems because they're low noise but still very cool. An MSI 480 leaked, but MSI confirmed it was a fake sadly.

I'm sure MSI will launch a Twin Frozr version of the 480, just like Asus will have a Strix and Gigabyte a Windforce/G1 cards.

Personally, I prefer blower coolers because they exhaust the hot air out of the case, but some of those cards axial cooler cards have the advantage of having a 0 Fan mode while on idle.

I have never heard about this. How can I see the difference between a blower fan and axial fan? If I look inside my computer case, is there an easy way to see which is which from all the fans inside (PSU, GPU, CPU etc)?

I assume blowing fan is most common from the way you two speak.

For example my Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce, what are those fans?

Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

I'm sure MSI will launch a Twin Frozr version of the 480, just like Asus will have a Strix and Gigabyte a Windforce/G1 cards.

Personally, I prefer blower coolers because they exhaust the hot air out of the case, but some of those cards axial cooler cards have the advantage of having a 0 Fan mode while on idle.

I have never heard about this. How can I see the difference between a blower fan and axial fan? If I look inside my computer case, is there an easy way to see which is which from all the fans inside (PSU, GPU, CPU etc)?

This is a axial fan:

They usually sit inside the card, blowing air along the cooling vents and outsides of the pc case.

They are more effective at moveing air outsides your pc case (which is a good thing, why all the newer cards have them).

"my Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce, what are those fans?"

those are blower type fans, and most of the air is just re-circulated inside your pc case.

Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

That's an axial card.

A blower card, which tipically are all reference cards, have a fan in one extreme that moves air through the card and the heatsink and exhausts the warm air out of back of the card, out the case.

An axial cooler, as most if not all third party coolers like the Gigabyte Windforce one of your pic are, directs the air directly to the heatsink(s), but the resulting warm air is exhausted in the case, not out. That means that you need a case with good airflow or your components will get cooked by their own generated heat.

Scisca said:
Arrr! Can't wait for these cards! For the full lineup of custom versions and OC tests. I hope stock is around the performance of 980, while after OC it gets near 980Ti. It would be the greatest steal in history of GPUs

Though unfortunately I really don't like what Sapphire showed, which is sad, considering I wanted to buy their card. I hope MSI and others release a sexy looking card.

lol the card will be inside a case, what does it matter how it looks?

But yeah I know, psychologically it's important. I love the feeling when you've just bought a new graphics card and opened the package.

What GPU do u have now?