By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

Madword said:
I assume with these new cards we are also expecting new mobile graphics chipsets? Just wondering if I should get a laptop with a 980m in, but these new chips would be cheaper, less heat and faster? Anyone know?

It looks like AMD will use its Polaris 11 chips for notebooks, which are about half the power of Polaris 10. Don't get fooled by their naming, the 480M won't be using the chip of the RX 480, but the chip inside the RX 460.

If you want power, you might want to consider Nvidia. All signs points that they'll do what they did with the mobile 9xx chips, and use the full Pascal chips inside the 1070 and 1080  for their mobile parts.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

It looks like AMD will use its Polaris 11 chips for notebooks, which are about half the power of Polaris 10. Don't get fooled by their naming, the 480M won't be using the chip of the RX 480, but the chip inside the RX 460.

Speaking of Polaris 11, what is your take on the possibly of the chip being in the NX console?  When you factor in tdp, and Nintendo coming in  next gen at around previous gen performance, would this make more sense than say, a high end nvidia mobile chip (too expensive?), or 28nm where the tdp would still be too high?  

Looks nice but not sure if that could fit inside my computer.

se7en7thre3 said:
JEMC said:

Speaking of Polaris 11, what is your take on the possibly of the chip being in the NX console?  When you factor in tdp, and Nintendo coming in  next gen at around previous gen performance, would this make more sense than say, a high end nvidia mobile chip (too expensive?), or 28nm where the tdp would still be too high?  

Everything involved in NX is quite confusing and hard to guess.

I'd say that the option of Nintendo using an Nvidia chip is minuscule. When it comes to hardware, Nintendo tends to be very conservative and that makes them keep working with the same partners gen after gen. Given that they have always worked with ATI/AMD and that we've never heard of any problems between them, I don't see why they'll change to Nvidia (specially after how things went between Nvidia and MSoft and Sony in previous gens).

As for Polaris 11/RX 460, if the leaked 3DMark score is real, then it's a bit slower than the HD 7870, but faster than the GTX 750Ti that DigitalFoundry uses in its budget PC build against the PS4/X1 (and that usually performs better than the consoles). It's not a bad option but I would personally prefer if they go with the Tonga chip that powers the R9 285 or the R9 380 running at lower frequencies to reduce power consumption.

The problem is that, given that we don't know what kind of machine will the NX be and what's Nintendo's strategy with it, we don't know what power requirements it may need in terms of raw power or efficiency.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
se7en7thre3 said:

Everything involved in NX is quite confusing and hard to guess.

I'd say that the option of Nintendo using an Nvidia chip is minuscule. When it comes to hardware, Nintendo tends to be very conservative and that makes them keep working with the same partners gen after gen. Given that they have always worked with ATI/AMD and that we've never heard of any problems between them, I don't see why they'll change to Nvidia (specially after how things went between Nvidia and MSoft and Sony in previous gens).

As for Polaris 11/RX 460, if the leaked 3DMark score is real, then it's a bit slower than the HD 7870, but faster than the GTX 750Ti that DigitalFoundry uses in its budget PC build against the PS4/X1 (and that usually performs better than the consoles). It's not a bad option but I would personally prefer if they go with the Tonga chip that powers the R9 285 or the R9 380 running at lower frequencies to reduce power consumption.

The problem is that, given that we don't know what kind of machine will the NX be and what's Nintendo's strategy with it, we don't know what power requirements it may need in terms of raw power or efficiency.

The 7870 is a 2.5+ tf card, we know the PS4 is a cut down version (1.84).  

The R9 270, rated at 2.3 tf got a 7850 score, lower than the rx460.  So this card is a healthy bump over PS4 and they can cut it down further if nec. Im guessing.

You're right we don't know the requirements, but it seems to me if the goal for NX is to match current gen, it will have to be done on the new process node if Nintendo wants to avoid an unusually large tdp compared to their expected standard.

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:

JEMC said:

**too long to quote it again**

The 7870 is a 2.5+ tf card, we know the PS4 is a cut down version (1.84).  

The R9 270, rated at 2.3 tf got a 7850 score, lower than the rx460.  So this card is a healthy bump over PS4 and they can cut it down further if nec. Im guessing.

You're right we don't know the requirements, but it seems to me if the goal for NX is to match current gen, it will have to be done on the new process node if Nintendo wants to avoid an unusually large tdp compared to their expected standard.

The R9 285/380 is a newer chip (GCN 1.2 vs GCN 1.0) than those that's not only more powerful (3.2TFlops and almost 11,000 3dMark score) but also more efficient in both power consumption an memory usage thanks to newer memory compression.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that those +1,500 MHz rumors may be more than that. I was checking another forum when someone posted a link to this post at overclock.net:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1603252/wccf-amd-rx-480-can-hit-1-5ghz-new-overclocking-tool-with-voltage-control-coming/390#post_25267966

Earlier here today i posted some info on two different AIB vendors releasing $300 dollar 1500mhz Rx 480 Editions. There is some clarity i wanted to update on what exactly this means. Its quite simple, There will be some "superclocked" editions (< not the exact name) released with a bios option set at 1500mhz, its as simple as that. As for how many others vendors will release these Rx 480's that have the bios option switch to 1500mhz is unknown outside of the two companies that i am aware of. I cannot share which companies are releasing this but honestly I am told that all 6+8 pin Rx 480's are said to get this 1500mhz mark with software, Let me just quote what they said...this is a C/P from my email that was forwarded to me by my brother just a few hours ago.

This particular $300 Rx 480 OC Edition will have toggle with two bios options - Standard bios of 1266mhz and Extreme bios of 1500mhz - All 6+8 pin models will be able to reach the 1500mhz mark - the only difference is some editions will have a overclock bios setting that will be set at the 1500mhz mark - while other cards will have to be done manually although today its easy to do manually by just a few clicks of a button with software - While running at 1570mhz - the OC edition runs at 72c with 99% gpu load with 65% fan - one impressive feat to say the least - This bodes well for AMD's new Polaris cards as it shows these cards are capable of even more than this impressive 1570mhz mark - In fact, in a closed box setup, we were able to "easily" obtain 1600mhz while running Battlefield 4 for over an hour with zero crashes or artifacts all while keeping below the 75c mark while using 99% gpu load - Even more impressive is the fact that the voltage usage leaves room for even a bit further tweaking to further our overclock past 1600mhz - One has to wonder what AMD has with the entire lineup of Vega right now - we can only imagine pure bliss in terms of performance at the top enthusiast level - AMD really does have something special on their hands. The Rx 480 while running 1500mhz is on par with the stock 1070 in-game, it even beats it on some games at this clock, anything more and the 480 begins to put some distance between the two cards. Keep in mind this is Dx12 games, this is where GCN 4 truly shows off.

And then, someone mentioned that the italian branch of Sapphire shared the WCCFTech article about those +1,500MHz cards on both Facebook and Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/SapphireTechnologyItalia/photos/a.339371192758661.98675.208837312478717/1294753827220388/?type=3&theater

Can those cards be real?

shikamaru317 said:
Dang, 1600mhz in a closed case running Battlefield 4, that is impressive overclockability. If this is true I will most definitely get one of these later this year with a pretty good factory overclock.

It's worth remembering that just because the chip/card can overclock to 1500 or 1600MHz, it doesn't really mean that it's a good idea. After all, If AMD has decided to launch those chips at <1300MHz it must be for a reason(s), and those may be higher costs for the cooling and power circuitry and of course, efficiency.

That said, have any of you looked at the GPU Clock of the GPU-Z screenshot that I posted earlier? Because if that's doable with just the reference PCB and cooler, it's a good sign for non-reference cards.

Just built a PC with a GTX 960 4GB but this card looked interesting :).

shikamaru317 said:
Werix357 said:

Obviously check Wccftech for the article/s

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-faster-than-nano-980/

and

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-control/

That is really impressive for a $200 card. AMD is killing it in price/performance it seems. I should be able to play most games maxed out at 1080p for a couple of years it seems.

Yeah they weren't joking when they said Polaris would be great price/per GPU's

Videocardz has made a round 2 of 480 rumors

AMD RADEON RX 480 RUMORS, PART 2

http://videocardz.com/61225/amd-radeon-rx-480-rumors-part-2

New day and new leaks. This time however we have a proof that leaker is in the possesion of Radeon RX 480.

MD Radeon RX 480 in 3DMark

The leaker posted 3DMark results of RX 480. The results seem to be quite close to our results: 5492 (stock?) and 5856 (OC?) in FS Extreme, versus ours 5708. The ultra GPU score is not visible, so we can’t compare it to our results. The overall score is 2708 points though.

The software used in this comparison is probably not fully supporting RX 480 yet, as Radeon Settings software shows incorrect clock speed.

We also get to see the first ‘temperature test’, but it’s hard to say what is exactly measured with this infrared thermometer. One reading is probably under load, while the other is at idle. More leaks to come soon.

24cm is about 9.5 inches