By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

JEMC said:

There are some new "leaks" and benches going on in the web, but there are some things to consider:

• All this comes from Chiphell.
  • The Catalyst software names the 67DF:C7, or RX 480, as AMD Radeon RAGE. Is it a mistake or are they going back to use that brand?
  • Maybe in relation with the Rage brand, AMD's marketing campaign for Polaris is "The Uprising". Here's a Forbes interview about it.
  • Three different "sources" have the card running at three different speeds: 1080, 1227 and 1266 MHz. Some people on the net say that this is because of AMD, that has given different BIOS to manufacturers to catch possible leakers and/or confuse us before the actual launch. f course it can also be because they are fake.
  • Tomorrow there's the PC Gaming Show and AMD, that's one of the sponsors, wants us to watch it. Could we get a bit more info on Polaris?

• It looks like there's a guy that has samples of both a 4 and 8GB RX 480, and I say that it's someone because I don't think there's a lot of people with access to unreleased cards, with a Samsung monitor and a pink smartphone...
  • The high temperature of the 8GB card is due to the leaker having replaced the stock cooler with the one from another card, doing a bad job in the process.
  • The 4GB card running at 1080MHz has a Firestrike ultra score of 3268. The 8GB version running at an unknown speed scores 3515.

These are the screenshots and videos that I've found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_qg2PITCts

Lots of information but where's the comparison to existing cards? By how much will an RX 480 beat a GTX 980?

About the RX 480, I think it was a huge disappointment that AMD is only releasing a mid-range card and leaving the whole high-end market to Nvidia, but more importantly, not offering a choice for us who want the high-end even if it means $700 for a GPU.

It feels stupid because it also solidifies the common view that AMD is the poor man's budget choice.

It's also worrying for Vega. If they really had the tech, by all logic they should have made a big chip 490 Polaris right now, so it must mean they just don't have the performance. I don't understand with all the talk about "big" Polaris and "small" Polaris in the past year, how can the best they offer from a brand new generation be a $229 card?

I'm beginning to think that Vega will be a disappointment. It won't come out until December and only beats the 1080 by 5-10%, and right after, Nvidia counters with a GTX1080 Titanium that is over 20% faster than a GTX1080.

Damn it, because I want to replace my R9 290 as fast as possible, and as a fan, AMD is my only choice. It's already been 2.5 years and I still can't make an upgrade.

What GPU was it u had JEMC? A GTX970?

Around the Network

There's a new RX 480 leak involving 3D Mark Fire Strike benches that goes against the latest benchmarks I posted yesterday. In my opinion, they are a bit more credible.

New AMD Radeon RX 480 3DMark Benchmarks

http://videocardz.com/61005/new-amd-radeon-rx-480-3dmark-benchmarks

We are assuming that these are stock results (but bear in mind that it is PC Partner sample, which might be slightly factory-overclocked). We are working on obtaining overclocking scores, but it may take a while. Of course these are 100% legit scores, unlike some strange charts you saw on Chinese forums. Anyway, this puts RX 480 in between R9 390X and GTX 980. There are no Fire Strike Performance Preset scores yet (which could alter overall % figures a bit).

Between the R9 390X and GTX 980 isn't bad result for a $200 card.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

First images of the RX 480 from the different vendors, although all of them come with the reference cooler:

XFX Radeon RX 480 pictured, features 1288 MHz clock http://videocardz.com/61147/xfx-radeon-rx-480-pictured-features-1288-mhz-clock
Sapphire and PowerColor Radeon RX 480 pictured as well http://videocardz.com/61162/sapphire-and-powercolor-radeon-rx-480-pictured-as-well

XFX:

Sapphire:

PowerColor:

Apparently, only the XFX card comes with a slight overclock and a backplate.

Also, caution rumor!

AMD RX 480 Can Hit 1.5Ghz+, New Overclocking Tool With Voltage Control Coming

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-control/#ixzz4BqetC885

AMD is launching a new overclocking tool for the RX 400 series with voltage control, oh and the RX 480 is capable of 1.5Ghz+ clock speeds.

With the Radeon RX 480 and the RX 400 series in general AMD wants every user to be able to extract even more value out of their RX 400 series graphics card. Beyond what they’d normally get straight out of the box. The key to achieve this is to make overclocking more accessible, more convenient and more valuable. This is where AMD’s new overclocking tool will play an instrumental role in supercharging the bang behind every buck.

We’ve detailed sometime ago that AMD’s new RX 400 series featured more sophisticated boost function and on-chip and voltage regulation hardware. The new tool takes full advantage of that to make overclocking easier, more straightforward and deliver better results. AMD’s new overclocking tool will include an assortment of features, including voltage control.

We’re told AMD has been debating what kind of voltage control it should make available to RX 400 series users. It’s understandable as to why anyone inside AMD would be hesitant to making such a feature available in the company’s own software. After all it’s a risky endeavor to take on as a vendor. Not all gamers are enthusiasts or experienced overclockers.

Now let’s talk more about what the RX 480 can do in terms of overclocking. Many RX 480 graphics cardsfrom AMD’s Add-In-Board partners will be capable of  ~1.4Ghz boost clocks after some very basic overclocking. The cards can be pushed beyond that with voltage adjustments. The “Beast Mode” RX 480 $299 cards that we had talked about two days ago will come with pretty hefty factory overclocks right out of the box and some will be able to hit 1.5Ghz+ on air after some over-volting and fine tuning.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Obviously check Wccftech for the article/s

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-faster-than-nano-980/

and

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-control/

These may be some of the last RX 480 "leaks" before the NDA ends in 10 days. All courtesy of Videocardz:

AMD RADEON RX 480 RUMORS

http://videocardz.com/61193/amd-radeon-rx-480-rumors

Rather than posting each of those news pieces separately, I think it would make more sense to post them all here.

XFX Radeon RX 480 on production line

First up, Radeon RX 480 waiting for final packaging on production line. Unlike other cards we saw, this one has full cover backplate. It’s hard to say from this angle if these cards are using reference design, but they do seem to utilize short PCB and blower type cooler.

XFX Radeon RX 480 GPU-Z

Next up, a screenshot allegedly showing custom XFX RX 480 specs (could be the same card you can see above). GPU-Z does yet support Polaris architecture, so all release related information is not displayed. Interestingly base clock is not detected as well, and as a result pixel fillrate and texture fillrate are not calculated. This picture would confirm that some RX 480 cards will ship with high factory-overclocking (+100 MHz).

RX 480 without the shroud

Here’s how RX 480 looks after removing cooler shroud.

AMD Radeon RX 480 preorders available in China

Expreview discovered that all popular GPU brands in China are already taking preorders for RX 480. For now it’s only reference design, but who knows what will be available next week?

Yeston Radeon RX 480

Finally new set of RX 480 pictures from company called Yeston. Some of you were asking for better photo of the back, so here it is.

AMD Radeon RX 480 supports DVI

Some people were worried that RX 480 may not support DVI. Well the good news is that AMD confirmed DVI support for Polaris 10. The DVI port was simply not installed on reference model, but proper connections are available on the circuit board. So it’s totally up to add-in-board partners to decide if they want to offer DVI-capable RX cards.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Are none of the partners releasing axial cards at launch? That's a shame, I tend to prefer axial fans over centrifugal/blower fans. Hopefully we'll see some axial 480's by the end of the year when I plan to upgrade.

Sapphire has shown pics of their RX 480 Nitro, with two fans.

http://videocardz.com/60992/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-pictured

But when they will release it? Nobody knows.

There was a rumor about them overclocking to 1500mhz+ on air.
Apparently takeing one of these with a base clock of like 1200mhz and OCing them to 1500mhz speeds them up quite abit.

This card is the budget card to get.
One of these at 199$ with a OC will give unmatched performance pr $.

Im expecting better than 980ti performance (once oc'ed) for 199$.

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

Sapphire has shown pics of their RX 480 Nitro, with two fans.

http://videocardz.com/60992/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-pictured

*pic*

But when they will release it? Nobody knows.

Nice. I'm hoping to see MSI and ASUS release some axial 480's before too long, I tend to prefer their cooling systems because they're low noise but still very cool. An MSI 480 leaked, but MSI confirmed it was a fake sadly.

I'm sure MSI will launch a Twin Frozr version of the 480, just like Asus will have a Strix and Gigabyte a Windforce/G1 cards.

Personally, I prefer blower coolers because they exhaust the hot air out of the case, but some of those cards axial cooler cards have the advantage of having a 0 Fan mode while on idle.

I assume with these new cards we are also expecting new mobile graphics chipsets? Just wondering if I should get a laptop with a 980m in, but these new chips would be cheaper, less heat and faster? Anyone know?

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

JRPGfan said:

There was a rumor about them overclocking to 1500mhz+ on air.
Apparently takeing one of these with a base clock of like 1200mhz and OCing them to 1500mhz speeds them up quite abit.

This card is the budget card to get.
One of these at 199$ with a OC will give unmatched performance pr $.

Im expecting better than 980ti performance (once oc'ed) for 199$.

I've heard that 1.5+GHz overclocks rumor, but I find it a bit optimistic.

There are other sources that claim that a 10% overclock is doable, which would put it right about the 1,400MHz mark, which isn't too shabby.