By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

I really want to try a build with this card. I wonder if a decent rig can be built that takes full advantage of the card could be had for less than $500. If so then it would be a great boon for VR's future.

Around the Network

There are some new "leaks" and benches going on in the web, but there are some things to consider:

• All this comes from Chiphell.
  • The Catalyst software names the 67DF:C7, or RX 480, as AMD Radeon RAGE. Is it a mistake or are they going back to use that brand?
  • Maybe in relation with the Rage brand, AMD's marketing campaign for Polaris is "The Uprising". Here's a Forbes interview about it.
  • Three different "sources" have the card running at three different speeds: 1080, 1227 and 1266 MHz. Some people on the net say that this is because of AMD, that has given different BIOS to manufacturers to catch possible leakers and/or confuse us before the actual launch. f course it can also be because they are fake.
  • Tomorrow there's the PC Gaming Show and AMD, that's one of the sponsors, wants us to watch it. Could we get a bit more info on Polaris?

• It looks like there's a guy that has samples of both a 4 and 8GB RX 480, and I say that it's someone because I don't think there's a lot of people with access to unreleased cards, with a Samsung monitor and a pink smartphone...
  • The high temperature of the 8GB card is due to the leaker having replaced the stock cooler with the one from another card, doing a bad job in the process.
  • The 4GB card running at 1080MHz has a Firestrike ultra score of 3268. The 8GB version running at an unknown speed scores 3515.

These are the screenshots and videos that I've found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_qg2PITCts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUG9jgERvEQ

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

This is disappointingly great news. For Christmas I bought my brother the gtx 970? I think it was. Looks like he'll be receiving another gpu upgrade here soon

aLkaLiNE said:
This is disappointingly great news. For Christmas I bought my brother the gtx 970? I think it was. Looks like he'll be receiving another gpu upgrade here soon

Rumors suggest that the RX480 won't be a big improve over the 970. I don't think the upgrade will be worth it, it will be more like a side-grade.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Still rocking a HD7870, at this stage RX480 is looking like my next upgrade.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Rumors suggest that the RX480 won't be a big improve over the 970. I don't think the upgrade will be worth it, it will be more like a side-grade.

Ok well I paid like $350 so it still hurts ._.

Can't wait to see benchmarks of this card and of the inevitable RX 480X. I'm so excited about these cards Finally AMD has done everything right and is in prime position to make a big splash on the market. Not only is their card affordable, but the fact that the chip is smaller than the one in 1070/1080 means they won't struggle as much with supply as nVidia will. They'll be able to keep the market more saturated with their GPUs, which should do wonders for their marketshare.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

aLkaLiNE said:
JEMC said:

Ok well I paid like $350 so it still hurts ._.

That's what rumors say. Let's wait until we have official game benchmarks to see how the RX 480 ends performing.

Scisca said:
Can't wait to see benchmarks of this card and of the inevitable RX 480X. I'm so excited about these cards Finally AMD has done everything right and is in prime position to make a big splash on the market. Not only is their card affordable, but the fact that the chip is smaller than the one in 1070/1080 means they won't struggle as much with supply as nVidia will. They'll be able to keep the market more saturated with their GPUs, which should do wonders for their marketshare.

I've read that there won't a 480X.

Apparently, AMD found out that people got confused with the X and non-X versions of their cards, as well as their R9, R7 and R5 steppings. Because of that, they'll simplify their lineup and change the naming. From now on, if rumors are true, the R5, R7 & R9 classes will be replaced by R & RX cards, and there won't be X named cards.

We'll go from: R5 330 - R5 340 - R7 350 - R7 360 - R7 370 - R9 370X - R9 380 - R9 380X - R9 390 - R9 390X

to: R 430 - R 440 - R450 - R460 - RX 470 - RX 480 - RX 490

But of couse, that's just rumors.

JEMC said:
Scisca said:

Apparently, AMD found out that people got confused with the X and non-X versions of their cards, as well as their R9, R7 and R5 steppings. Because of that, they'll simplify their lineup and change the naming. From now on, if rumors are true, the R5, R7 & R9 classes will be replaced by R & RX cards, and there won't be X named cards.

We'll go from: R5 330 - R5 340 - R7 350 - R7 360 - R7 370 - R9 370X - R9 380 - R9 380X - R9 390 - R9 390X

I think that would be a good move on their part. Their lineup was confusing and they probably had too many different chips priced too tightly, especially with different custom OCed versions made by 3rd party manufacturers. nVidia has a lineup that much simpler and easier to uderstand without so many in-between GPUs.

Still, I'm hoping for a full version of the RX 480 chip with 40 CUs and 2560 SPs (which normally would be the 480X), no matter how they call it. I have a feeling that this GPU with 8 GB RAM costing $279 would be the ultimate 1080p GPU and I'd buy it for that price.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
JEMC said:

I think that would be a good move on their part. Their lineup was confusing and they probably had too many different chips priced too tightly, especially with different custom OCed versions made by 3rd party manufacturers. nVidia has a lineup that much simpler and easier to uderstand without so many in-between GPUs.

Still, I'm hoping for a full version of the RX 480 chip with 40 CUs and 2560 SPs (which normally would be the 480X), no matter how they call it. I have a feeling that this GPU with 8 GB RAM costing $279 would be the ultimate 1080p GPU and I'd buy it for that price.

Maybe that card with 40 CUs exists and is the 490, with Vega being the new Furys.

If that was the case and AMD had that card hiding until launch (something highly unlikely and illogical), even at $300 that card would be a steal.