By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

Slimebeast said:
Scisca said:

I have a huge window in my sidepanel, so I'll be seeing the GPU all the time I want it to look cool.

Right now I'm running on the integrated GPU that's on the i5 6600k. I've only recently built this PC and I've decided to wait for Polaris instead of going with a R9 390 and I'm happy I've waited

Ahh, cool. I regret I didn't buy a case with a window. I love how cool they look!! Where you can see through and your PC parts emit nice lights.

So, u on purpose decided to run with integrated graphics for a little while in wait for a GPU you would feel good about? And now the RX 480 with its price/perf feels perfect? What was your last GPU then?

The window is cool, since I have LED lights on the motherboard, CPU watercooling, even the power supply and I've bought very sexy RAM modules (G.Skill Trident Z). I want the GPU to be the crowning element and I hope it'll match all other elements, since they do match each other.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I've decided that 2-3 months won't hurt me since I have a lot of older games to play and I was right, since this iGPU is surprisingly good and runs all the games I want to play now at max settings. Right now I'm playing Witcher 1 with many mods and it works like a charm. Dawn of War 2 runs great as well, I'm downloading World of Tanks and I'll see how it works, I plan to play the Mass Effect Trilogy soon and try the Wii emulator out - I expect everything to run smoothly.

Previously I've used a laptop, didn't have a desktop PC at all, as I used to play on consoles. But I'm very happy I've returned to PC gaming.

@Shikamaru317 - right! Better OC capability is another argument for axial coolers. They are the better choice - simple.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Slimebeast said:

Ahh, cool. I regret I didn't buy a case with a window. I love how cool they look!! Where you can see through and your PC parts emit nice lights.

So, u on purpose decided to run with integrated graphics for a little while in wait for a GPU you would feel good about? And now the RX 480 with its price/perf feels perfect? What was your last GPU then?

The window is cool, since I have LED lights on the motherboard, CPU watercooling, even the power supply and I've bought very sexy RAM modules (G.Skill Trident Z). I want the GPU to be the crowning element and I hope it'll match all other elements, since they do match each other.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I've decided that 2-3 months won't hurt me since I have a lot of older games to play and I was right, since this iGPU is surprisingly good and runs all the games I want to play now at max settings. Right now I'm playing Witcher 1 with many mods and it works like a charm. Dawn of War 2 runs great as well, I'm downloading World of Tanks and I'll see how it works, I plan to play the Mass Effect Trilogy soon and try the Wii emulator out - I expect everything to run smoothly.

Previously I've used a laptop, didn't have a desktop PC at all, as I used to play on consoles. But I'm very happy I've returned to PC gaming.

Cool. Is this your first PC you built by yourself?

LED lights, watercooling, flashy looking RAM-sticks... sounds like you've put some money into this PC build. So naturally comes the question about GPU choice. With your budget, shouldn't you be aiming for the $500 price class?

It would be fun to hear how you reason about this, about budget, how much extra it's worth spending on "bling", and about balancing a system.

Slimebeast said:
Scisca said:

LED lights, watercooling, flashy looking RAM-sticks... sounds like you've put some money into this PC build. So naturally comes the question about GPU choice. With your budget, shouldn't you be aiming for the $500 price class?

It would be fun to hear how you reason about this, about budget, how much extra it's worth spending on "bling", and about balancing a system.

Yeah, it was my first PC built ever

It did cost a bit, but I've spent some time hunting for deals, so it was quite cheaper than MSRP for these parts

My reasoning was like this: I wanted a good CPU that will last for some time, so I went with the best i5 (i5 6600k), since I don't think I'd benefit from an i7 (I don't edit graphics), so it's not worth the extra money. I bought a gaming motherboard from the Republic of Gamers ASUS line, since gaming boards are of higher quality than regular boards, have better audio, USB 3.1 type A and C and a lot of cool options (I got a couple games, a gaming mouse and 40 Euro payback!) that can help you tremendously while overclocking - I recommend gaming MoBos and I love the ASUS interface.

Since I knew I wanted to wait for Polaris, I had to use the iGPU, so I went with very fast (and cool looking) 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz CL15 (I got fast RAM, cause the iGPU uses it as VRAM, thus faster RAM makes a difference. I can expand it to 32GB in the future if that's needed). I also went with watercooling, since I don't like a huge, heavy aircoolers hanging in a case - it may even damage the motherboard after all (especially when moving the computer and I am about to move), and I wanted to OC my CPU, since I don't have a GPU yet. I got the Corsair H110i with a 25 Euro rebate and I'm happy I fitted it with the new best fans from Noctua (NF-A14 Industrial 2000 RPM PWM), so that I get great cooling and great temps. I got a modular 850W platinum rank power supply from Super Flower - the company in Taiwan that manufactures the award winning power supplies for EVGA, but since it's not branded as EVGA, they were A LOT cheaper I got a fast 250 GB SSD from Good RAM - the only company that manufactures RAM and storage in Europe instead of Asia and a 3 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD for storage. I put it all into a stylish, but conservative case (I'm no longer a teen, so cosmic style isn't for me ) and I went with the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 Pro - awesome case, it allows me to put 6 140 mm fans and have absolutely insane air circulation. Since it's modular, CM plans to release new fronts with new USB formats and even HDMI-out for VR, so it can be connected here instead of the back of the PC! Awesome case, I recommend it, it looks great.

I've decided I wanted an ultrawide monitor with FreeSync (screw G-Sync!). Since these monitors are developing very fast, almost every month a new one hits the market and takes the top spot, but none looks like it will keep the crown for long, I've decided to go for a cheaper monitor till manufacturers reach the ultimate goal in monitors - a curved 34" 144Hz Ultrawide U4K (resolution 5120x2160p) IPS with FreeSync. Till that happens, I'm rocking a 29" IPS 75Hz 2560x1080p FreeSync monitor from LG and I love it. Ultrawide is totally worth it! Once you get it, there's no turning back. I can't imagine using a 16:9 monitor anymore.

Now, why am I thinking about the RX 480 and not something more? I have a FreeSync monitor, so AMD is natural. It seems that RX 480 will be performing almost at the levels of a 980 (maybe almost 980Ti after OC?) and that is an expensive GPU But most importantly, I have a 75Hz monitor, so I won't be seeing more than 75 fps. And since it's still only a bit more pixels than fullHD 1080p, I don't need a 1080 to get that performance even at ultra settings. I plan to change the monitor only when the one I've described above hits the market, so until then I don't need a better GPU. When I upgrade the monitor (in a year or two?), I'll upgrade the GPU and will be fine for years again Until then, all I need from my GPU is to give me 60-75 fps @ 2560x1080p @ ultra settings and I think RX 480 after OC is pretty much there. I'd rather get the RX 480X, but I don't know if it comes out. Vega will most probably be overkill for me, but we'll see.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Slimebeast said:

Yeah, it was my first PC built ever

It did cost a bit, but I've spent some time hunting for deals, so it was quite cheaper than MSRP for these parts

My reasoning was like this: I wanted a good CPU that will last for some time, so I went with the best i5 (i5 6600k), since I don't think I'd benefit from an i7 (I don't edit graphics), so it's not worth the extra money. I bought a gaming motherboard from the Republic of Gamers ASUS line, since gaming boards are of higher quality than regular boards, have better audio, USB 3.1 type A and C and a lot of cool options (I got a couple games, a gaming mouse and 40 Euro payback!) that can help you tremendously while overclocking - I recommend gaming MoBos and I love the ASUS interface.

Since I knew I wanted to wait for Polaris, I had to use the iGPU, so I went with very fast (and cool looking) 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz CL15 (I got fast RAM, cause the iGPU uses it as VRAM, thus faster RAM makes a difference. I can expand it to 32GB in the future if that's needed). I also went with watercooling, since I don't like a huge, heavy aircoolers hanging in a case - it may even damage the motherboard after all (especially when moving the computer and I am about to move), and I wanted to OC my CPU, since I don't have a GPU yet. I got the Corsair H110i with a 25 Euro rebate and I'm happy I fitted it with the new best fans from Noctua (NF-A14 Industrial 2000 RPM PWM), so that I get great cooling and great temps. I got a modular 850W platinum rank power supply from Super Flower - the company in Taiwan that manufactures the award winning power supplies for EVGA, but since it's not branded as EVGA, they were A LOT cheaper I got a fast 250 GB SSD from Good RAM - the only company that manufactures RAM and storage in Europe instead of Asia and a 3 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD for storage. I put it all into a stylish, but conservative case (I'm no longer a teen, so cosmic style isn't for me ) and I went with the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 Pro - awesome case, it allows me to put 6 140 mm fans and have absolutely insane air circulation. Since it's modular, CM plans to release new fronts with new USB formats and even HDMI-out for VR, so it can be connected here instead of the back of the PC! Awesome case, I recommend it, it looks great.

I've decided I wanted an ultrawide monitor with FreeSync (screw G-Sync!). Since these monitors are developing very fast, almost every month a new one hits the market and takes the top spot, but none looks like it will keep the crown for long, I've decided to go for a cheaper monitor till manufacturers reach the ultimate goal in monitors - a curved 34" 144Hz Ultrawide U4K (resolution 5120x2160p) IPS with FreeSync. Till that happens, I'm rocking a 29" IPS 75Hz 2560x1080p FreeSync monitor from LG and I love it. Ultrawide is totally worth it! Once you get it, there's no turning back. I can't imagine using a 16:9 monitor anymore.

Now, why am I thinking about the RX 480 and not something more? I have a FreeSync monitor, so AMD is natural. It seems that RX 480 will be performing almost at the levels of a 980 (maybe almost 980Ti after OC?) and that is an expensive GPU But most importantly, I have a 75Hz monitor, so I won't be seeing more than 75 fps. And since it's still only a bit more pixels than fullHD 1080p, I don't need a 1080 to get that performance even at ultra settings. I plan to change the monitor only when the one I've described above hits the market, so until then I don't need a better GPU. When I upgrade the monitor (in a year or two?), I'll upgrade the GPU and will be fine for years again Until then, all I need from my GPU is to give me 60-75 fps @ 2560x1080p @ ultra settings and I think RX 480 after OC is pretty much there. I'd rather get the RX 480X, but I don't know if it comes out. Vega will most probably be overkill for me, but we'll see.

Wow, one can feel how you enjoy this. Down to all the little details.

Very interesting to read. Thanks for all the details including your reasoning.

About cases, yes that case of yours is very nice. And mature looking. The trend of gamer cases has died off, most people think they're nerdy and "too much". I will look into a similar case when I build my next comp, important to have that window.   Is it a midi tower or bigger? I right now have this one, a NZXT phantom 410 and it already feels huge, even though it's labeled only as a miditower.

Yes, screw FreeSync! I do only AMD so it's G-sync for me.

About monitors, I'm so conflicted whether I should get a 16:9 or an ultrawide monitor next time. I'm thinking of the Acer XR341CK 34 inch curved (3440x1440 res), but I'm not sure. Like you say, new kings come up so fast and I too have that dream of 144Hz, but I'm not sure about 5120x2160 resolution, that seems very hard to run for years to come. But I'm glad that the technology is improving fast with monitors too, they're so nice nowadays. Nice to hear that you are so happy with an ultrawide. Hm...

Your GPU strat of "2560x1080p @ ultra settings" sounds pretty wise and really thought out. Perhaps correspondingly it's wise to think of Vega and a GPU that can at least match the Geforce GTX1080 if you plan on getting a 3440x1440 monitor like I do, what do you think?

Spambot.

Around the Network

Spambot.

Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

That depends on when is next year. After all, early next year Nvidia will launch the GP102 chipset that will power the next Titan and Ti cards. And, unless Nvidia has completely lost its mind, the GTX 1080 will lower its price accordingly.

Oh, and who knows when Vega will launch: http://videocardz.com/61361/amd-confirms-vega-10-gpu-reaching-development-milestone

There are actually two kind of CPU coolers too (three if we add the closed liquid coolers): towers and low profile.

The low profile ones are like the reference coolers from Intel or AMD, although there are some big monsters from other brands like Noctua. They work like an axial cooler from a GPU: a fan that pushes air through a heatsink that sits on top of the CPU. They have the advantage that they also cool the components  surrounding the CPU, but they do it with hot air.

Tower coolers are the most common ones, and also the ones that give best results. There are lots and lots of examples and sizes, with some of them weighing over 1Kg. The cooler sits on top of the CPU, with heat rising over the heatpipes to a stack of fins where the air from one or two fans get rid of them.

And no, you shouldn't have to had any problem for having your case open. There are plenty of open air cases our there. As long as you CPU and GPU are well cooler by their respective coolers, you'll be fine.

Many review sites test their CPU and GPU on an open air bench, to make the work of replace the components a lot easier.

Oh yeah, those types of CPU fans!! Somehow I only think of the default fan when I think of CPU fans.

I use the bottom type, the tower cooler. Is that classified as an axial fan?

Good to know about the open case! Friends who visit me always clame I will decrease the lifetime of my comp when I do that.

Those fans are simply called... fans. Or case fans as they have the frame that holds them and allows you to install them in your case.

And your PC will be fine as long as you keep it clean from dust. A can of compressed air does wonders.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

We have more info:

New AMD RX 480 CrossFire benchmarks hit the web, exclusive first look at new overclocking tool

http://videocardz.com/61396/new-amd-rx-480-crossfire-benchmarks-hit-the-web-exclusive-first-look-at-new-overclocking-tool

New benchmark results were posted at Chiphell.

The clocks were bumped by 22 MHz (to 1288 MHz). Jugding from GPU-Z graphs the clocks are quite stable, but it’s temperature that is worrying. It seems that FireStrike has really pushed these cards to their thermal limits, as the primary CrossFire card reaches 87C and the secondary 82C.

AMD Radeon Settings Overclocking tool

Here’s first detailed view on RX 480 overclocking tool. The user will be able to control the GPU frequency and voltage for each power state. It is also possible to create similar states for memory clocks. User has control over maximum and minimum values for temperature and fan speeds.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

We have more info:

New AMD RX 480 CrossFire benchmarks hit the web, exclusive first look at new overclocking tool

http://videocardz.com/61396/new-amd-rx-480-crossfire-benchmarks-hit-the-web-exclusive-first-look-at-new-overclocking-tool

The clocks were bumped by 22 MHz (to 1288 MHz). Jugding from GPU-Z graphs the clocks are quite stable, but it’s temperature that is worrying. It seems that FireStrike has really pushed these cards to their thermal limits, as the primary CrossFire card reaches 87C and the secondary 82C.

It seems that Radeon's reference cooler is not that good compared to Nvidia's 1070/1080 reference cooler, 80c + with a 22mhz overclock isn't very good at all. I'll definitely be waiting for a good axial card from one of their 3rd party partners, probably MSI or ASUS. Hopefully then I'll be able to get at least a 100 mhz overclock.

The temps are indeed worrying, but there are a few unknows that could explain, at leadt in part, those high temps like what airflow did the cards have or how long was the test.

And to me, it's surprising that the second card has lower temps despite its fan being slower. Doesn't the second card always run hotter because it doesn't have room to get fresh air?

JEMC said:

We have more info:

Where is the benchmark lol? And I don't understand how they can reach thermal limits from a 22Mhz overclock. How do you interpret this JEMC?

I love the overclocking tool. So nice that they're officially providing that and encouraging it.