By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

shikamaru317 said:
Pemalite said:
Not sure if I want to wait for Vega or Navi or just get four Radeon 480's.

I was under the impression that each extra card you add in an SLI/Crossfire setup offers diminishing returns, so more than 2 cards is pretty much a waste. You'd be better off getting 2 1070's and overclocking them than 4 480's probably, you'd spend less money too. 

It does. And I am aware, I have been running eyefinity since the Radeon 5000 series, but I also game at higher than 4k, which is something to keep in mind.

nVidia is out of the question.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:
Not sure if I want to wait for Vega or Navi or just get four Radeon 480's.

Do you still have your eyefinity setup?

I have the monitors and the stand and such, but not currently running triple screens due to using a Radeon 5450, I sold my old cards prior to the Polaris announcements in anticipation so I could recoupe as much cash as I could, but then got burnt when leaked benches showed it wasn't a high-end part. Then AMD properly announced the Polaris cards.

I had four Radeon R9 290's before.

Just sick of using my Xbox One as my primary gaming device, 720P-1080P is killing me.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
JEMC said:
shikamaru317 said:

8,000 for the whole US sounds really low to me. That would probably sell out in less than an hour. I realize that Radeon 400 and Geforce 1000 are using new 14/16nm fabrication so yields will be really low at first, but dang, I wasn't expecting stock shortages this bad. Oh well, I won't be buying one until around November anyway, so there should be plenty of stock by then. 

It doesn't sound like a lot (at launch day), but that's still a lot more than what Nvidia had of their latest cards.

We'll see how are the shortages, but with the folks that will buy them for their mining farms, there could be some.

To add some more info, Gibbo from overclockers posted this two days ago:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29671486&postcount=6902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauller
Is the RX480 art piece ready and photographed?
Yes and nearly 1000 in stock and ready for launch with more on standby should we need if sales are strong.

Not bad for one store and just for one market.

Also, we can be sure that Guru3D will have a review of the RX 480 on launch day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUG6Ae10yOQ

And PCPer will even have a Live stream with Raja Koduri (for those that don't know, he's the boss of the RTG, or the man behind the Polaris cards) the same June 29th. And they'll be giving some RX 480 away during the stream!

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/PCPer-Live-Radeon-RX-480-Live-Stream-Raja-Koduri

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Another round of leaks and rumors. Honestly, the only thing missing by now are actual game benchmarks, because I think that we already know everything else.

AMD Radeon RX 480 Rumors, Part 6

http://videocardz.com/61422/amd-radeon-rx-480-rumors-part-6

Availability of custom cards from RX 400 series

Hermitage Akihabara reports on the availability of non-reference Radeon RX 400 cards. According to their information custom RX 480 cards are expected mid-July. Meanwhile custom RX 470 will be available end of July, and finally RX 460 are expected early August.

AMD Radeon RX 480 temperature and clock stability test

This was posted on reddit. According to this screenshot there is no thermal throttling present on RX 480, GPU clock is stable and power draw is around 112W.

AMD Radeon WattMan?

Sapphire had a RX 480 page online for a brief moment. What caught my attention is the name for Radeon Settings overclocking tool. According to this description this application will be called Radeon WattMan.

AMD Radeon RX 480 failed to OC to 1400 MHz

Like I said 2 days ago, most review samples are having trouble reaching anything beyond 1350 MHz. The highest reported clock is 1379 MHz. The member of the PCGamesHardware team confirmed that their sample did not reach 1400 MHz.

^That's a roughly translated (by Google Translator) post from the original german one. You can read the original one following the provided link. And remember that this is about reference cards with 1x6-pin power connector, we don't know what custom cards with different power settings may be able to achieve.

Radeon RX 480 Stress Test

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1609649-1-1.html

We get new GPU-Z screengrabs showing overclocked settings and TDP at 147.3W.

Look that the card is clocked at 1328 MHz, but the results show that it achieves 1322.6 MHz with a 100% load, reaching 88ºC with the fans at 58% and using the mentioned 147.3 W.

These are the results:

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Interesting that AMD's Global Foundries 14nm built cards aren't scaling in clocks...
Whilst nVidia's built TSMC 16nm are breaking records.

nVidia must have opted for transistors that operate at higher frequencies and AMD went for transistors that were more conservative in frequency to gain an efficiency edge.

Could also be a sign of aggressive binning so AMD can use parts that clock higher later.

Videocardz has made a part 7 of the RX 480 rumors

AMD Radeon RX 480 Rumors, Part 7

http://videocardz.com/61475/amd-radeon-rx-480-rumors-part-7

XFX to offer RX 480 with 1328 MHz clock

XFX is preparing two or three RX 480 cards for launch, all equipped with reference cooler. The so-called Black Edition OC (RX-480M8BBA6) will feature backplate and factory-overclocked configuration to 1328 MHz (this card is also bundled with DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter). The second XFX Black Edition model (RX-480M8BFA6) will ship with slightly lower 1288 MHz clock, which is still 22 MHz above the specs.

XFX RX 480 Black Edition OC was tested by a member of Baidu, who took it for a spin with Fire Strike, Fire Strike Stress Test, GTA 5 and some Chinese MOBA game I don’t recognize.

http://imgur.com/a/3iTkS#yJJocNF

AMD Radeon RX 480: Fire Strike, Steam VR

Now let’s look at the leak from TechPowerUP forums. User named gasolina posted some very interesting stuff there. Starting with Fire Strike. GPU score at 1266 MHz (stock) is 12779 points. At 1330 MHz we get 13403 points

Let’s move on to SteamVR benchmark. According to AMD, Radeon RX 480 scores 6.3 points in this benchmark. Meanwhile ‘gasolina’ achieved 6.8 points at stock and 7 points with some overclocking (1315 MHz). So it means that Radeon RX 480 is no longer just VR-capable, but also VR-Ready.

AMD Radeon RX 480 offers good overclocking at stock voltage

The editor of Italian website Bits and Chips decided to share more light on overclocking potential of RX 480, despite signed NDA

AMD Radeon RX 480 OpenCL performance

AMD Radeon RX 480 was tested with CompuBench software. Here’s a comparison between RX 480, R9 390(X), R9 Fury (X), GTX 980 and GTX 970. Radeon RX 480 seems to be quite close to R9 390 Series.

AMD Raden RX 480 driver leaked

Lastly TPU member shared a pre-release driver for RX 480. If someone wants to try it, or mod it for other cards, then here’s the link. I wonder if Radeon WattMan is available for other cards with this driver?

Around the Network

There are leacked benchmarks of the 480 against heavily overclocked 970 and 380X

First Radeon RX 480 gaming benchmarks hit the web

http://videocardz.com/61512/first-radeon-rx-480-gaming-benchmarks-hit-the-web

Polish magazine called CD-Action shares some information about RX 480 performance in three games, Metro Light Light Redux, Witcher 3 and World of Tanks.

Those results are a bit disappointing... if true. Because there's a little extra bit of info from that leaked review:

According to the review, 5% overclocking causes severe artifacts in 3DMark, while 7% overclock causes system to freeze. Not a word about drivers uses though.

Let's think about that for a second: we know that the card has a boost clock of 1266MHz, and a 5% increase would put that to 1330MHz. If that's the limit without having troubles, how can XFX launch a reference card with a factory overclock (meaning, guaranteed to work) to 1328MHz? It doesn't make sense.

Solid card for 1080P gaming. Higher than that and things get questionable.

Little bit disappointed both in performance & power consumption.

Its somewhere between a 970 and a 980, and it uses near its 150w max (the 8gb version) when playing games.
The performance / watt isnt that fantastic, it basically uses as much power as a 1070, thats much more powerfull.

The one key area its great in, is just its price / performance metrix.

Here's a list of RX 480 reviews, courtesy of videocardz:

AMD Radeon RX 480 Video Reviews:

I was expecting a bit more, something in between the 390X and the 980, not the 390 & 970, and I think that going with 32ROPs limits its performance at resolutions higher than 1080p.

It's a good and well priced card, but if you can, it's worth waiting for the launch of the GTX 1060, to see how it compares to this card.

Its a side grade or tiny bit faster than the 970.

However I dont think its worth paying for the 8gb version.
This card is ment for 1080p only (you wont need 8gb for that).
***** NOTE: in DX12 games its usually faster than the 970. (the future isnt DX11).

A 199$ this card is still a fantastic buy in terms of value.
Its also more future proof than buying a 970.