By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

JRPGfan said:

This is a axial fan:

They usually sit inside the card, blowing air along the cooling vents and outsides of the pc case.

They are more effective at moveing air outsides your pc case (which is a good thing, why all the newer cards have them).

"my Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce, what are those fans?"

those are blower type fans, and most of the air is just re-circulated inside your pc case.

I think it's the other way around.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
JRPGfan said:

This is a axial fan:

They usually sit inside the card, blowing air along the cooling vents and outsides of the pc case.

They are more effective at moveing air outsides your pc case (which is a good thing, why all the newer cards have them).

I think it's the other way around.

I got them mixed up? I can never remember which is which.

I just know that this type is the better type... they make less noise, and move more air outsides the case.

Its the reason nvidia started useing them for all their cards, and amd too.

That 1080 doing well over 60fps at 4k is also pretty nice. Still it's most likely going to be the card I grab next year for a new build, unless AMD release one better than the 1080 at a cheaper price (likely won't happen).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JEMC said:
Slimebeast said:

I have never heard about this. How can I see the difference between a blower fan and axial fan? If I look inside my computer case, is there an easy way to see which is which from all the fans inside (PSU, GPU, CPU etc)?

I assume blowing fan is most common from the way you two speak.

For example my Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce, what are those fans?

That's an axial card.

A blower card, which tipically are all reference cards, have a fan in one extreme that moves air through the card and the heatsink and exhausts the warm air out of back of the card, out the case.

An axial cooler, as most if not all third party coolers like the Gigabyte Windforce one of your pic are, directs the air directly to the heatsink(s), but the resulting warm air is exhausted in the case, not out. That means that you need a case with good airflow or your components will get cooked by their own generated heat.

Ahh... so they're fundamentally different. And for CPU it's always axial cooling, yes?

So in simple terms, axial is better to cool the card but at the expense of the whole system?

My computer case is open because I've been lazy to put back the case wall after I've been tampering with the hardware. Is that good or bad for the cooling of the system?

Chazore said:
That 1080 doing well over 60fps at 4k is also pretty nice. Still it's most likely going to be the card I grab next year for a new build, unless AMD release one better than the 1080 at a cheaper price (likely won't happen).

That depends on when is next year. After all, early next year Nvidia will launch the GP102 chipset that will power the next Titan and Ti cards. And, unless Nvidia has completely lost its mind, the GTX 1080 will lower its price accordingly.

Oh, and who knows when Vega will launch: http://videocardz.com/61361/amd-confirms-vega-10-gpu-reaching-development-milestone

Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

That's an axial card.

A blower card, which tipically are all reference cards, have a fan in one extreme that moves air through the card and the heatsink and exhausts the warm air out of back of the card, out the case.

*pics*

An axial cooler, as most if not all third party coolers like the Gigabyte Windforce one of your pic are, directs the air directly to the heatsink(s), but the resulting warm air is exhausted in the case, not out. That means that you need a case with good airflow or your components will get cooked by their own generated heat.

Ahh... so they're fundamentally different. And for CPU it's always axial cooling, yes?

So in simple terms, axial is better to cool the card but at the expense of the whole system?

My computer case is open because I've been lazy to put back the case wall after I've been tampering with the hardware. Is that good or bad for the cooling of the system?

There are actually two kind of CPU coolers too (three if we add the closed liquid coolers): towers and low profile.

The low profile ones are like the reference coolers from Intel or AMD, although there are some big monsters from other brands like Noctua. They work like an axial cooler from a GPU: a fan that pushes air through a heatsink that sits on top of the CPU. They have the advantage that they also cool the components  surrounding the CPU, but they do it with hot air.

Tower coolers are the most common ones, and also the ones that give best results. There are lots and lots of examples and sizes, with some of them weighing over 1Kg. The cooler sits on top of the CPU, with heat rising over the heatpipes to a stack of fins where the air from one or two fans get rid of them.

And no, you shouldn't have to had any problem for having your case open. There are plenty of open air cases our there. As long as you CPU and GPU are well cooler by their respective coolers, you'll be fine.

Many review sites test their CPU and GPU on an open air bench, to make the work of replace the components a lot easier.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Chazore said:

That depends on when is next year. After all, early next year Nvidia will launch the GP102 chipset that will power the next Titan and Ti cards. And, unless Nvidia has completely lost its mind, the GTX 1080 will lower its price accordingly.

Oh, and who knows when Vega will launch: http://videocardz.com/61361/amd-confirms-vega-10-gpu-reaching-development-milestone

Slimebeast said:

There are actually two kind of CPU coolers too (three if we add the closed liquid coolers): towers and low profile.

The low profile ones are like the reference coolers from Intel or AMD, although there are some big monsters from other brands like Noctua. They work like an axial cooler from a GPU: a fan that pushes air through a heatsink that sits on top of the CPU. They have the advantage that they also cool the components  surrounding the CPU, but they do it with hot air.

Tower coolers are the most common ones, and also the ones that give best results. There are lots and lots of examples and sizes, with some of them weighing over 1Kg. The cooler sits on top of the CPU, with heat rising over the heatpipes to a stack of fins where the air from one or two fans get rid of them.

And no, you shouldn't have to had any problem for having your case open. There are plenty of open air cases our there. As long as you CPU and GPU are well cooler by their respective coolers, you'll be fine.

Many review sites test their CPU and GPU on an open air bench, to make the work of replace the components a lot easier.

Oh yeah, those types of CPU fans!! Somehow I only think of the default fan when I think of CPU fans.

I use the bottom type, the tower cooler. Is that classified as an axial fan?

Good to know about the open case! Friends who visit me always clame I will decrease the lifetime of my comp when I do that.

Slimebeast said:
Scisca said:
Arrr! Can't wait for these cards! For the full lineup of custom versions and OC tests. I hope stock is around the performance of 980, while after OC it gets near 980Ti. It would be the greatest steal in history of GPUs

Though unfortunately I really don't like what Sapphire showed, which is sad, considering I wanted to buy their card. I hope MSI and others release a sexy looking card.

lol the card will be inside a case, what does it matter how it looks?

But yeah I know, psychologically it's important. I love the feeling when you've just bought a new graphics card and opened the package.

What GPU do u have now?

I have a huge window in my sidepanel, so I'll be seeing the GPU all the time I want it to look cool.

Right now I'm running on the integrated GPU that's on the i5 6600k. I've only recently built this PC and I've decided to wait for Polaris instead of going with a R9 390 and I'm happy I've waited

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

shikamaru317 said:

It could happen, there have been rumors that Vega may release earlier than AMD originally said, in October this year. Considering the fact that full Vega has nearly twice the CU's as the RX 480, it's very possible that full Vega will outperform the 1080 and maybe even the 1080ti. So in the end it'll most likely come down to pricing, will the Vega cards be cheaper than 1070, 1080, and 1080ti.

Might but I'm not holding out hope for it happening, not unless they want to lose money on being both more powerful than the 1080/Titan while also being cheaper. I just don't see AMD taking back all the market with very cheap and powerful card, covering all of Nvidia's bases and doing tons better, not within their current position. Also we've yet to see what the Titan line will do, for allw e know Nvidia could stomp whatever high end card AMD puts out, Nvidia isn't out for the count just yet.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

shikamaru317 said:

Basically the difference is that centrifugal (blower) coolers lock hot air inside the card's cooler shroud and continuously reblow it over the heat sink with greater air pressure than axial fans produce. Axial fans exhaust hot air outwards from the card, where the exhaust fans on your computer case can then blow the hot air out of your case, while your case's intake fans let in fresh cool air to replace it. It's my understanding that centrifugal (blower) fans run at higher speeds than axial fans usually, and therefore are a bit louder. Generally speaking both styles work well, it's just a matter of personal preference. I prefer my cards to be quiet, so I like axial fans. Others like to keep hot air trapped inside their graphics card, instead of letting it out into the computer case with the other PC components.

Edit: Sorry, I got part of that wrong. Blower coolers don't trap hot air in, they exhaust it out the back of the card, instead of into the case. However, because they only have 1 fan, that 1 fan typically runs at higher speeds than the 2 or 3 fans you usually find on axial cards, and therefore they produce more noise. So it's basically a choice between a quieter card that warms up the inside of your case more, or a louder card that exhausts hot air directly out of your case.

Lets not forget that blower fans do a singnifantly worse job at cooling the GPU. The only situation I can ever imagine them being the better choice is when you live in a very, very warm climate and have a very, very crappy case with no airflow. Or when you plan to construct a hybrid watercooled card, where the GPU is watercooled, while the VRAM and rest is cooled by the blower fan.

But lets face it, realistically, the blower fans are the worst choice. The GPUs run hotter, suffer from thermalthrottling (just look at all the videos with complains about the Founder Edition 1080s thermalthrottling), the card is lauder and the whole "cooking your hardware" argument is absurd, especialy when it comes to the new generation of 14 nm card. I'd never buy a card with blower cooling, unless I was going for watercooling and was about to ditch this cooling either way. Let's face, the GPU is the part that needs cooling the most, so the better you cool it, the better for you PC. And my case has 6 140mm fans, so I have no problem with airflow

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Slimebeast said:

lol the card will be inside a case, what does it matter how it looks?

But yeah I know, psychologically it's important. I love the feeling when you've just bought a new graphics card and opened the package.

What GPU do u have now?

I have a huge window in my sidepanel, so I'll be seeing the GPU all the time I want it to look cool.

Right now I'm running on the integrated GPU that's on the i5 6600k. I've only recently built this PC and I've decided to wait for Polaris instead of going with a R9 390 and I'm happy I've waited

Ahh, cool. I regret I didn't buy a case with a window. I love how cool they look!! Where you can see through and your PC parts emit nice lights.

So, u on purpose decided to run with integrated graphics for a little while in wait for a GPU you would feel good about? And now the RX 480 with its price/perf feels perfect? What was your last GPU then?