By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you Married, dating, single or...other?

I'm...

Married. 213 20.44%

Engaged. 50 4.80%

Dating (long term) 121 11.61%

Dating (Short term) 40 3.84%

In a polygamous, polyamar... 22 2.11%

Single. 543 52.11%

Other....in comments. 53 5.09%

Total:1,042

Single but not really ready to mingle.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

I could say that I'm either single at the moment, or kinda sorta into an unorthodox long distance relationship.

trasharmdsister12 said:
maverick40 said:

What do you mean by the bolded part?

What do you think is stopping you talking to women? 

Is it a lack of self confidence? Afraid of rejection? 

I may be ill informed but dating seems to have physical expectations that I'm not interested in meeting. As I've mentioned here, I'm a virgin and that's totally fine by me. If it wasn't, there are plenty of ways for me to have rectified the situation. But dating is tough in the western world unless you're religious and seem to get married at any early age or don't seem to have any hang ups about physical relationships. 

Let me get something clear. Socially I'm a very personable individual. I'm funny, decent looking, in decent shape, well dressed, well spoken, and not awkward.  I make friends really really easily and most of my friends growing up were female and I still feel more comfortable around women than men. But being of low self esteem and having my insecurities constantly reinforced through rejection in a multitude of forms constantly has me questioning my worth to anyone. 

But even while I push through all that and try (I've been on a multitude of dating services for nearly 2 years now) I'm faced with no reciprocating interest from anyone. It doesn't exactly bode well for my esteem when you get no matches on 4 different services over the span of more than a year. Forget fear of rejection. I'm not even given the opportunity to be rejected. 

It doesnt make sense man, sounds like you would be fine with women!

Maybe it is how you present yourself on your dating profile? Also what age are you? As you get into your mid 20's it becomes easier to get women as they don't hold on to the childish notions they had in high school like "Buff dude with loads of money etc"

John2290 said:

it's not that  hard to get a shag

Not for you maybe.

trasharmdsister12 said:

I may be ill informed but dating seems to have physical expectations that I'm not interested in meeting. As I've mentioned here, I'm a virgin and that's totally fine by me. If it wasn't, there are plenty of ways for me to have rectified the situation. But dating is tough in the western world unless you're religious and seem to get married at any early age or don't seem to have any hang ups about physical relationships. 

Let me get something clear. Socially I'm a very personable individual. I'm funny, decent looking, in decent shape, well dressed, well spoken, and not awkward. I make friends really really easily and most of my friends growing up were female and I still feel more comfortable around women than men. But being of low self esteem and having my insecurities constantly reinforced through rejection in a multitude of forms constantly has me questioning my worth to anyone. 

But even while I push through all that and try (I've been on a multitude of dating services for nearly 2 years now) I'm faced with no reciprocating interest from anyone. It doesn't exactly bode well for my esteem when you get no matches on 4 different services over the span of more than a year. Forget fear of rejection. I'm not even given the opportunity to be rejected. 

If it helps at all, I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I'm 27 as well, and while I have dated in the past, I started much later than my peers, (first date at 23) I've been in a total dry spell for some time now, and I too have tried multiple dating services and had absolutely zero success. Basically, you're not alone in finding dating a basically unwinnable game.

curl-6 said:
Metallox said:
The institution of marriage is slowly dying

I don't think that's true.

It may no longer be as widely seen as an essential prerequisite for sex or a serious relationship, (which isn't a bad thing in my opinion) but it's certainly in no danger of disappearing.

It doesn't need to be in danger in order to be "slowly dying", but, anyway, I said that based on some responses here and on some declarations I have heard in many places over the years. I know that (naturally) this experience doesn't represent the whole trend, so I may be completely wrong.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think that's true.

It may no longer be as widely seen as an essential prerequisite for sex or a serious relationship, (which isn't a bad thing in my opinion) but it's certainly in no danger of disappearing.

It doesn't need to be in danger in order to be "slowly dying", but, anyway, I said that based on some responses here and on some declarations I have heard in many places over the years. I know that (naturally) this experience doesn't represent the whole trend, so I may be completely wrong.

I think due to the demographics on VGChartz, we're getting a disproportionate amount of people uninterested in marriage compared to the general population.

A 2013 poll in the US, for example, found that while its importance has dropped, only 5% of respondents had never married and never wanted to.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163802/marriage-importance-dropped.aspx

maverick40 said:

In a long term relationship for 5.5 years at this stage. She is starting to hint at a ring but I won't worry about that until next year at least

Also, the amount of single people voting is frightening. 

To be fair, not all of us are single because we're loners. Had the chance to be in a relationship several times- just didn't choose to. 

haven't liked a girl since the beginning of middle school. That's over 5 years ago for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I will have been married for 4 years next month.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

curl-6 said:
John2290 said:

it's not that  hard to get a shag

Not for you maybe.

trasharmdsister12 said:

Let me get something clear. Socially I'm a very personable individual. I'm funny, decent looking, in decent shape, well dressed, well spoken, and not awkward. I make friends really really easily and most of my friends growing up were female and I still feel more comfortable around women than men. But being of low self esteem and having my insecurities constantly reinforced through rejection in a multitude of forms constantly has me questioning my worth to anyone. 

If it helps at all, I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I'm 27 as well, and while I have dated in the past, I started much later than my peers, (first date at 23) I've been in a total dry spell for some time now, and I too have tried multiple dating services and had absolutely zero success. Basically, you're not alone in finding dating a basically unwinnable game.

HOT CHICKS WANT YOU!

SEXY ASIAN GIRLS WITH DDD+ BREASTS NEAR YOUR HOME!

BIG BOOTIES LESS THAN THREE MILES FROM YOU!

RUSSIAN GIRLS ARE THIRSTY FOR YOU!

WWW.CLICKBAIT.COM/THIS_WEBSITE_IS_OBVIOUSLY_FAKE_AND_MOST_LIKELY_HAS_A_VIRUS/BOOBIES/BUSHDID911/LOADSOFADS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

married