By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu polls Japan for their top 10 most memorable games per console

Some great choices there, as someone said ask the western audience and you will get fifa, cod, gta, madden, battlefield, and things like that. Looks like the japanese really don't like star fox, f-zero or metroid in the Nintendo consoles, also did't see some Silent Hill for the PS consoles.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Quite a few as you'd expect really. Some games that I've never even heard of too, maybe they were Japan only games or something?

A few surprises other than that though. No Persona 4 on the PS2 list? I know it tops the Vita list, but #3 made both the PS2 and PSP lists, so how come #4 couldn't do the same?

Glad to see Super Mario 64 above Zelda on N64. I just don't get the Zelda love, I played it when it was still new but it just didn't seem that great (it's probably aged poorly as well). While Mario 64 was great and when I replayed it again last year it was still great.

Also glad to see that the low point of the Final Fantasy series (12) never made the list. Kinda disappointed the low point of the Resident Evil series (4) did, but at least it was still lower on the list than the original game's remake, so that's something.

Kinda wondering what happened to Pokemon though. Gens 1/3 both did really well. 2 was probably held back some by being on the same console as #1 and people voting for that instead, but it still did well. Then gen 4 sees quite a decline. And then gen 5/6 don't even show up. The gen 3 remakes at least appeared but X/Y didn't.

The thing about the DS and the 3DS is that I feel like they had an enormous amount of memorable games, and limiting to only the top 10 games feel like a crime. I was expecting Pokemon mystery dungeon to be on this list but I guess Japanese players like dragon quest a lot more :/

Kresnik said:
Slarvax said:

Are you kidding me? Wind Waker HD? Ugh. It's a great game, don't get me wrong. But the 8th most memorable game of the Wii U is... a remake. We/they should eliminate remakes from this type of lists.

I don't get all these outrages at the lists.  It's a snapshot of dedicated Japanese gaming users.  They like what they like, and if a remake is memorable that's a testiment to the game itself (same with Persona 4 I'd say).

This. People here fail to realize that this is about as representative of overall Japanese gamers sentiment as our own annual top greatest games event is, ie. not much at all.

Wait they didn't vote for Super Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds?? But Animal Crossing #1 -.-

I'm so glad to see Xenoblade #1 in the Wii list

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Slarvax said:

Are you kidding me? Wind Waker HD? Ugh. It's a great game, don't get me wrong. But the 8th most memorable game of the Wii U is... a remake. We/they should eliminate remakes from this type of lists.

I don't get all these outrages at the lists.  It's a snapshot of dedicated Japanese gaming users.  They like what they like, and if a remake is memorable that's a testiment to the game itself (same with Persona 4 I'd say).

I actually find the lists very good. There are a few unexpected games, yet very deserving. I just don't stand 1 game being memorable for 2 different generations...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Boutros said:
Wait they didn't vote for Super Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds?? But Animal Crossing #1 -.-

There's also no Metroid on any list, or ALttP on SNES.

To be fair, that list shows how huge and varied the 3DS library is.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Boutros said:

There's also no Metroid on any list, or ALttP on SNES.

To be fair, that list shows how huge and varied the 3DS library is.

As far as I know the 3DS has the smallest library of any Nintendo handhelds though.

I think it shows more how specific Famitsu readers are. They definitely don't stray too far away from RPGs in most cases.

And for something like Project X Zone to beat Super Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds is just downright weird lol

Final Fantasy X is where it deserves to be.

This list proves X1 is a lot better than PS4... the best game on PS4 (MGS V) is the 4th place on X1 topped by 3 exclusives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."