By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Minecraft passed 100 million sales!!! (106million) 53k a day in 2016..

crissindahouse said:
konnichiwa said:
copied from neogaf:

Going by their numbers that's

10.600 PC copies a day
21.200 console copies a day
21.200 mobile copies a day

Which puts it at roughly
10.600 * 27 = $ 286.200
21.200 * 20 = $ 424.000 (minus 15 % (Xbox Live and PSN) = $ 360.400
21.200 * 7 = $ 148.400 minus 30 % (Android and iOS) = $ 103.880
-------------------------------------------------------------------
= a cool $ 750.000 a day

or about 114 million in game sales this year alone. Merchandising is probably another 100 million a year by now, so they make about 370 million a year. Of which 90 % will be pure profit. That is insane. At this rate the two billion they paid for will be recouped by 2021. And that's not even including potential movies or a successor.

How did they calculate that? Is their any information about which continent got how many sales percentual? Otherwise I'm not sure how they want to know the real WW numbers between the different platforms.  

guesstimates.  Based on the % of what the market is today. Minecraft always made 200 million in profts but was mostly around 100-130 million a year because Notch got his insane cut. The PC one is easy to calculate because it has sales clock (well it had one just saw the price went up and had a new site) also their are realms to subscripe on but we don't know how popular it is. The realms are + 7 euro a month but yeah how many have it? 10K? 500K?.  What about the popular theme packs on PSN/Xbla/Eshop? All of those are not calculated.

Around the Network

This is such an insane number!!! No words to describe this beast!!!

I've never understood the fac inaction in this game, Tryed several times to get into it but literally really disliked it everytime. Each to their own I guess.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

There is a reason this game isnt exclusive to MS platform. This game sells everywhere.

BraLoD said:
Angelv577 said:
There is a reason this game isnt exclusive to MS platform. This game sells everywhere.

The reason it's not exclusive to MS is because contracts were made before MS bought Mojang, it wasn't born or raised as a MS game, it always already very solidified as a multiplaform once it was sold. Maybe MS just can't make it exclusive even they want to, actually.

But yeah, it's actually a wise decision to keep it multiplaform if it's a decision that can be done.

MS might make it exclusive as time goes on.

Around the Network

My nephew has three copies (PC, PS3, and mobile). It is an obsession among him and his friends, staggering how many hours they've played it in past four years.

Bandorr said:
Notch really nailed it with this game

From what I've heard, by copying infiniminer :/

konnichiwa said:
V-r0cK said:
Dam, and those are like actually all bought copies and not those "bundled" sale?

Bundled sale?  So far Minecraft is the only game that never got on sale on PSN/XBLA/PC except for the beginning when it was free and downloaded 10k...But that is nothing compared to now. Really didn't understand that MS never had a bundle with xbox 360/Xone or other consoles a themed cheap one could be popular.

Wasn't there a themed 360 Minecraft, painted as a ground tile? 

Snoopy said:
BraLoD said:

The reason it's not exclusive to MS is because contracts were made before MS bought Mojang, it wasn't born or raised as a MS game, it always already very solidified as a multiplaform once it was sold. Maybe MS just can't make it exclusive even they want to, actually.

But yeah, it's actually a wise decision to keep it multiplaform if it's a decision that can be done.

MS might make it exclusive as time goes on.

Not going to happen with these numbers. They might not release it for non-MS future platforms, but I doubt it, considering the direction MS has been taking lately. And they will definitely not remove it from the platforms it's already on.

Insane numbers. No wonder Microsoft bought them!

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).