By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Neo GPU Is Point-For-Point A Match For RX 480

Random_Matt said:
JRPGfan said:
This is really smart though... if AMD can sell a intire card at retail for 199$, and make profits of it, the chips themselves cant be that expensive to make.

Thats good news for the PS4 neo, it means it wont be to expensive.
Those 399$ rumors for the PS4 neo look likely at this point.
Which also means the normal ps4 at its 349$ price, is soon going to see a price drop (299$ or less).

No new consumer will buy the older model, or at least not many. It's inevitable Sony will get into a situation where it will have the production ceased, and developers would unfortunately be in a situation to support 40m suckers or not.

It's smart not to talk for all humanity. If the older model is $100 cheaper then you can bet your ass there'll be people who opt for it, millions in fact. Devs won't be in any situation where they have to make their own choices what they support. Og PS4 support is mandatory by Sony.

Around the Network

How can APU be as powerful as a dedicated mid to high end video card? Wouldn't it make sense to replace all video cards with APUs then?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

So neo/4k have slightly upscaled GPUs to account for 4k additional use of resolution?

Bryank75 said:
Hope the case and cooling is good enough that they can up-clock it through firmware. I'm sure they could anyway.

Anyway I'm up for another upgrade in 2018... time for Playstation nation to put the boot in. Everyone that can, should upgrade day 1. Keep the momentum going, loads of games coming, firmware is getting so good...loads more coming on that front too.

Changing names, Neo, R*, Dead don't ride, GOW4 and Spider-man down the line a bit. Hoping for an elite style PS4 controller too....

Was saying that Xbox are fighting a war on two fronts....if Valve and Sony decide to partner up to keep games off xbox, that would shut them down.

well I'm doing my part, waiting to drop some cash on PSVR + Neo this year, probably sell off my vanilla PS4 around that time too. This news with the 480 just made me a lot more bullish on the prospects of the Neo, the pricepoint is a beauty, maybe the upgraded CPU might be secured with the GPU being so inexpensive. Also it must mean they are getting great yeilds with is good for everyone.

Pemalite said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm reading through the GAF thread to try and understand but failing at the moment.

It means the Playstation 4 will catch up to PC games in terms of graphics quality... Right now most Multiplats are a mix of medium/high quality settings 900/1080P and 30fps.

It means that they will be on Ultra settings, full 1080P and 60fps.

Games like Uncharted will be able to have larger, richer and more detailed worlds.

It should also be a boon for VR as it shouldn't need to rely on various tricks to get the job done which comes with it's own caveats.

This is what the Playstation 4 should have launched as IMHO, but I digress.

But hardware like this didnt exist in 2013 at a price or form factir that could fit in a $400 box. Hell even $600 box.

taikamya said:

Not really. The CPU bottleneck depends on the resolution. The higher the resolution, the more GPU power is used, hence the lower bottleneck the CPU can produce. So in 1080p the difference may not be big against the current PS4, but in 4K the difference will be outrageous.

Not exactly.
If you are CPU bottlenecked at 640x480 and scale up the resolution and graphics... You will still be CPU bottlenecked, just GPU is constrained more.

Usually the CPU will just impact your minimum and maximum framerates if you are bottlenecked, but keep in mind these are consoles, developers have an intimate knowledge of the amount of resources they have.

An example would be when I was running a Phenom 2 and Mass Effect 3 was released, I had Dual Radeon 6950's at the time, I was CPU bottlenecked, even at 5760x1080 as the CPU wasn't able to feed the GPU regardless if I was gaming at 1920x1080 or 5760x1080, I wasn't able to have full GPU utilization.
I eventually upgraded to a Core i7 3930K and such issues were a thing of the past.

Exactly, this is why i find it funny reading people thinking that games already running at 30fps on the base PS4 would suddenly be at 60fps on the neo. Thats just not gonna happen unless the CPU in the neo literally has double the performance of the base PS4, cause you would have to drop a CPU pass from 33ms down to 16ms to hit 60fps. well, that and/or if the game already was internally running at 40-50fps but locked down to 30fps. 

taikamya said:

Very low clocked. By the specs, the 480 is going to have around 5.5TFlops and it's performance should be a little over the 390.

If rumors are to be considered, the PS4Neo has 4.something TFlops, but that's the whole system, not only the GPU. So basically the GPU is cut down in half. Talk about a low clocked version!

Probably still looking at Radeon 7970/280X/380X/ levels of performance though, which let's be honest, is what the console should have launched with to begin with and is nothing to sneeze at.

I dont know where he is getting that 4.something is the whole system and not just the gpu. If this GPU is clocked at the rumored 900mhz+ then 4.something is exactky what we would get. Amd thats just the GPU. I don't think thats going to be the case though, it wont be clocked as high as the scorpio if thats released next year cause by then the scorpio has a more stable fab process to pick from, but i see it being clocled at at least 1000mhz+. 

JPGfan said:
This is really smart though... if AMD can sell a intire card at retail for 199$, and make profits of it, the chips themselves cant be that expensive to make.

Which also means the normal ps4 at its 349$ price, is soon going to see a price drop (299$ or less).

The chips themselves are cheap as chips.

Keep in mind when Sony buys the chip it will include the CPU, chipset, various pieces of logic, GPU etc'. - That helps keep costs low as they are only buying the one giant chip, only have to design traces on the board for one chip, reduced licensing fee's etc'.

Sony isn't buying their hardware like PC gamers either, they are buying in Bulk with a special price from AMD and they don't need big vapor chamber, copper blower coolers, packaging, OEM overheads, or the lots-of-layers PCB.
So pricing will be allot different, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was paying $150-$200 for the complete SoC, or less.

JRPGfan said:

4k will be reserved for media and simpler casual/indie games, probably.
Quad-High Definition should be more than possible for more complex games like Uncharted 4 maybe?

Anything above 1080p if not 4k is useless to consoles being that home tvs only support 1080p/4k. Quad hd is not a living room standard. I think in most cases the extra poerr would be used to give more IQ polish and maybe used as an upscaler to get the games to output at 4k even though its built natively in 1080p. Kinda like how a lot of the XB1 games are built at 900p natively but output at 1080p.

Replies in bold :)

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

4k will be reserved for media and simpler casual/indie games, probably.

Quad-High Definition should be more than possible for more complex games like Uncharted 4 maybe?

Anything above 1080p if not 4k is useless to consoles being that home tvs only support 1080p/4k. Quad hd is not a living room standard. I think in most cases the extra poerr would be used to give more IQ polish and maybe used as an upscaler to get the games to output at 4k even though its built natively in 1080p. Kinda like how a lot of the XB1 games are built at 900p natively but output at 1080p.

Rumours seem to suggest games that run natively at 1080p may be upscaled to 4k etc. So anything above 1080p but not 4k is not useless.

Rendering natively at 1440p then upscaling to 4k will look better than rendering natively at 1080p then upscaling to 4k.

Also a lot of tv's support many resolutions my 1080p TV for example supports 640x480,800x600,1024x768,1366x768,1600x900,1824x1026. etc etc.

If it can give me FF15 in 60 fps then im happy or release it on PC. thats all I want :) please and thank you.

How will a neo even work? Will we be able to put our old/current PS4 games in and they will just somehow run? (presumably with better fps) Will devs need to put out a patch? Will devs even bother? if past PS4 games dont work doesnt that mean its essentially a PS5?

Chevinator123 said:
How will a neo even work? Will we be able to put our old/current PS4 games in and they will just somehow run? (presumably with better fps) Will devs need to put out a patch? Will devs even bother? if past PS4 games dont work doesnt that mean its essentially a PS5?

Every new game will come with both modes, Regular and Neo, all other games will run on Neo like they did on OG Ps4s unless they are patched.

Chevinator123 said:

The Neo is just a ps4 with better hardware, old games will run and most likely they will run exactly the same as they do on the original ps4 (however performance issues such as framerate drops may not be present even without a patch, but old games will need to be updated to take full advantage of the upgraded hardware.)

New games will release on the original ps4 still but will also feature a "neo mode" which will need to be put in by developers. It's unlikely many dev's will bother to patch previous games however new games will almost certainly take advantage of the upgraded hardware.