By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Neo GPU Is Point-For-Point A Match For RX 480

Pemalite said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm reading through the GAF thread to try and understand but failing at the moment.

It means the Playstation 4 will catch up to PC games in terms of graphics quality... Right now most Multiplats are a mix of medium/high quality settings 900/1080P and 30fps.

It means that they will be on Ultra settings, full 1080P and 60fps.

Games like Uncharted will be able to have larger, richer and more detailed worlds.

It should also be a boon for VR as it shouldn't need to rely on various tricks to get the job done which comes with it's own caveats.

This is what the Playstation 4 should have launched as IMHO, but I digress.

vivster said:

As long as we don't know the actual performance of the 480 and the clock speed in the PS4 APU it does mean nothing.

We do have an idea. Albeit, a rough idea.

taikamya said:

Not really. The CPU bottleneck depends on the resolution. The higher the resolution, the more GPU power is used, hence the lower bottleneck the CPU can produce. So in 1080p the difference may not be big against the current PS4, but in 4K the difference will be outrageous.

Not exactly.
If you are CPU bottlenecked at 640x480 and scale up the resolution and graphics... You will still be CPU bottlenecked, just GPU is constrained more.

Usually the CPU will just impact your minimum and maximum framerates if you are bottlenecked, but keep in mind these are consoles, developers have an intimate knowledge of the amount of resources they have.

An example would be when I was running a Phenom 2 and Mass Effect 3 was released, I had Dual Radeon 6950's at the time, I was CPU bottlenecked, even at 5760x1080 as the CPU wasn't able to feed the GPU regardless if I was gaming at 1920x1080 or 5760x1080, I wasn't able to have full GPU utilization.
I eventually upgraded to a Core i7 3930K and such issues were a thing of the past.

taikamya said:

Very low clocked. By the specs, the 480 is going to have around 5.5TFlops and it's performance should be a little over the 390.

If rumors are to be considered, the PS4Neo has 4.something TFlops, but that's the whole system, not only the GPU. So basically the GPU is cut down in half. Talk about a low clocked version!

Probably still looking at Radeon 7970/280X/380X/ levels of performance though, which let's be honest, is what the console should have launched with to begin with and is nothing to sneeze at.

JRPGfan said:

This also means they re useing a cheap chip with high power effeciency.

At 14nm FinFET this chip clocked at 911mhz probably wont generate all that much heat.
The 1200mhz+ version of the RX 480 is probably around 135watts (with a 150w limit)
At 911mhz clock speed, it ll be under 100watts for the GPU.

The chasis for the PS4 might not have to change too much.
Basically the new PS4 neo could end up looking much like the older model (same small form factor).

Depends on the rest of the SoC and the binning.

Consoles typically have conservative binning due to not being able to die-harvest parts that meet certain clocks/voltages/functional units, so they usually are a little less efficient in regards to performance/watt.
And with this node being so new and the chips being so large, we have no idea what yields are like.

But a 900mhz~ chip should be able to get impressively low, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire SoC was 150w.

aLkaLiNE said:
Was there any speculation about Sony utilizing a semi custom version of the 480? Because while the OG Ps4 architecture was structured after AMD Pitcairn, there were features not available in the retail version found on PC. Wondering if Sony applied the same practice here

Having a Polaris GPU in a SoC alone means it's a semi-custom design as no such other chip exists. - Which also means Sony would have given AMD some ideas of what they want.
How much farther they went with that though will likely be something we need to wait on Sony to answer as AMD is likely under various NDA agreements.

JRPGfan said:
This is really smart though... if AMD can sell a intire card at retail for 199$, and make profits of it, the chips themselves cant be that expensive to make.

Thats good news for the PS4 neo, it means it wont be to expensive.
Those 399$ rumors for the PS4 neo look likely at this point.
Which also means the normal ps4 at its 349$ price, is soon going to see a price drop (299$ or less).

The chips themselves are cheap as chips.

Keep in mind when Sony buys the chip it will include the CPU, chipset, various pieces of logic, GPU etc'. - That helps keep costs low as they are only buying the one giant chip, only have to design traces on the board for one chip, reduced licensing fee's etc'.

Sony isn't buying their hardware like PC gamers either, they are buying in Bulk with a special price from AMD and they don't need big vapor chamber, copper blower coolers, packaging, OEM overheads, or the lots-of-layers PCB.
So pricing will be allot different, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was paying $150-$200 for the complete SoC, or less.

JRPGfan said:
This is really smart though... if AMD can sell a intire card at retail for 199$, and make profits of it, the chips themselves cant be that expensive to make.

Thats good news for the PS4 neo, it means it wont be to expensive.
Those 399$ rumors for the PS4 neo look likely at this point.
Which also means the normal ps4 at its 349$ price, is soon going to see a price drop (299$ or less).

4k will be reserved for media and simpler casual/indie games, probably.
Quad-High Definition should be more than possible for more complex games like Uncharted 4 maybe?

I was waiting for someone as you to come explain =] thanks perma.

And if the chip is 4x stronger than what we had on PS4, shouldn't we have 4k for a game with 1080p if all other aspects are kept the same?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

lol wasnt i telling it days ago when i saw the APUs? Now you hear it from DF, lol and i am not even a pc gamer anymore.

Yeah i hope Sony aims for the Polaris architecture and decides to beef up the specs in the last minute,

They should increase clockspeed, ram and ram mhz.

The Neo could be the bargain of the decade with having the latest amd gpu (200$) and a 4k (500$) blueray player

m0ney said:
How can APU be as powerful as a dedicated mid to high end video card? Wouldn't it make sense to replace all video cards with APUs then?

Because not everyone wants to game with an AMD cpu which is still way weaker than an Intel or full fledged AMD CPU clocked over 2 GHz, it would also require different motherboards etc. There is no market yet to make whole APUs as upgradable components in the PC space.

iNathan said:

Every new game will come with both modes, Regular and Neo, all other games will run on Neo like they did on OG Ps4s unless they are patched.

Barkley said:

The Neo is just a ps4 with better hardware, old games will run and most likely they will run exactly the same as they do on the original ps4 (however performance issues such as framerate drops may not be present even without a patch, but old games will need to be updated to take full advantage of the upgraded hardware.)

New games will release on the original ps4 still but will also feature a "neo mode" which will need to be put in by developers. It's unlikely many dev's will bother to patch previous games however new games will almost certainly take advantage of the upgraded hardware.

Makes sense i guess. Id be very intrigued too see how old games would be patched, would love to replay Witcher 3, Bloodborne or UC4 again. I feel like there are some devs that you know would go the extra mile to patch the old games like CDPR, ND, Fromsoft. Hell id expect most of Sonys first party to go back and patch their games.

m0ney said:
How can APU be as powerful as a dedicated mid to high end video card? Wouldn't it make sense to replace all video cards with APUs then?

Thats the future of PCs.

Intel or AMD, and useing the integrated gpu (thats on chip).

The reason why this never happend was because of memory bandwidth issues.

System ram are slow, even DDR4 isnt enough to make it work well enough at those GPU amounts.

However Hybrid Memory Cube technology is going to change that when it ends up getting used as system memory.

Nvidia cant make x86 cpus.... so they cant offer a APU that can run windows.

Which is why they started doing android stuff... trying to get into Smart phones & tablets.

Nvidia fears a future where motherboard manufactures dont sell a PCIe lane for graphics cards (forces nvidia out of the pc market)

Where everyone just uses a IGPU from a APU.

Ruler said:
m0ney said:

Because not everyone wants to game with an AMD cpu which is still way weaker than an Intel or full fledged AMD CPU clocked over 2 GHz, it would also require different motherboards etc. There is no market *yet* to make whole APUs as upgradable components in the PC space.

Yet is the keyword.

I think once hybrid memory cube tech can be used as system memory, amd would be crazy not to release a APU thats about as beefy as the RX 480.

A quad Zen Cpu + RX 480, APU with new memory technology for system ram would be pretty nice.

Around the Network
Michelasso said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Not a tech expert, what does all this mean?

It should be more than twice the GPU power so most likely a [usually] stable 1080p60fps on PS4 Neo for all new PS4 games. Possibly also upscaled to UHD (thus still native 1080p) internally on the PS4 Neo. That's all it is about after all, the OS will be identical.

It won't be 60 fps. It will need a better CPU to achieve that. As they are basically just upgrading the GPU, you can count on higher res, more effects, better lightning. The fps will probably just be a bit more stable because of the marginally higher CPU clock + GPU.

Ruler said:

lol wasnt i telling it days ago when i saw the APUs? Now you hear it from DF, lol and i am not even a pc gamer anymore.

Yeah i hope Sony aims for the Polaris architecture and decides to beef up the specs in the last minute,

They should increase clockspeed, ram and ram mhz.

The Neo could be the bargain of the decade with having the latest amd gpu (200$) and a 4k (500$) blueray player

Unless I am mistaken... I don't think anyone doubted it wasn't going to be that a few days ago... We just had people doubt that its going to be running at full 480 clock speeds which is still yet to be proven for obvious reasons...

PS: If it's the thread we are thinking of, I was the first one that suggested it :P http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7921263

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Pemalite said:

It means the Playstation 4 will catch up to PC games in terms of graphics quality... Right now most Multiplats are a mix of medium/high quality settings 900/1080P and 30fps.

It means that they will be on Ultra settings, full 1080P and 30fps 60fps.

Games like Uncharted will be able to have same sized larger, richer and more detailed worlds.

It should also be a boon for VR as it shouldn't need to rely on various tricks to get the job done which comes with it's own caveats.

This is what the Playstation 4 should have launched as IMHO, but I digress.

It will most likely run an overclocked version of the same CPU, no Zen for it. So framerate will probably be marginally better. Visuals will improve.

As they are pushing for parity between all PS4s, games will also be the same, but prettier. Probably 4K upscaling to help sell 4K TVs, as they are really needing all the help they can to sell. PS360 is what pushed HDTV for the masses, I think PS4K/XboxSomething will do the same for 4K.

torok said:

It won't be 60 fps. It will need a better CPU to achieve that. As they are basically just upgrading the GPU, you can count on higher res, more effects, better lightning. The fps will probably just be a bit more stable because of the marginally higher CPU clock + GPU.

Not so simple, it depends on the game. The XBO has the same CPU as the PS4 clocked at 1.8ghz instead of ps4's 1.6ghz, by that logic the XBO should have higher framerate than the PS4, However in almost all instances it is the PS4 version of games with the better and more consistent frame rate even though it has a weaker CPU. So we can come to the conclusion that in the majority of console games it is infact NOT the CPU that is limiting the framerate, so framerate gains from the NEO may be bigger than you expect.

The earlier leaked specs suggested the NEO would use the same CPU as the original but clocked at 2.0ghz instead of 1.6ghz.

Barkley said:
torok said:

Not so simple, it depends on the game. The XBO has the same CPU as the PS4 clocked at 1.8ghz instead of ps4's 1.6ghz, by that logic the XBO should have higher framerate than the PS4, However in almost all instances it is the PS4 version of games with the better and more consistent frame rate even though it has a weaker CPU. So we can come to the conclusion that in the majority of console games it is infact NOT the CPU that is limiting the framerate, so framerate gains from the NEO may be bigger than you expect.

The earlier leaked specs suggested the NEO would use the same CPU as the original but clocked at 2.0ghz instead of 1.6ghz.

I thought the rumors where Puma+ cores instead of the jaguar ones.

Still weak small cores, but minor upgrade.