By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Neo GPU Is Point-For-Point A Match For RX 480

It's also worth noting that - clock-speeds and resultant TFLOPs aside - the specs for RX 480 are point-for-point a match for the GPU in Sony's upcoming PlayStation Neo, all but confirming that the Sony mid-gen console refresh uses both Polaris technology and the new 14nm FinFET chip manufacturing process.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-rx-480-costs-199-gtx-970-r9-390-beating-performance

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

I thought it would be eaten alive immediately.

The PS5 Exists. 

Thats quite the jump then really for the GPU if true. The only issue is, the small bump rumoured for PS4K CPU is going to be an even bigger bottleneck this time round no?

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Not a tech expert, what does all this mean?

So Neo will run a low clocked version of the RX 480 :)
Thats still pretty good news.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm reading through the GAF thread to try and understand but failing at the moment.

The PS5 Exists. 

Too bad though that Neo is the devil and will destroy Sony and the whole console industry as we know it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

GribbleGrunger said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm reading through the GAF thread to try and understand but failing at the moment.

As long as we don't know the actual performance of the 480 and the clock speed in the PS4 APU it does mean nothing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

i tend to agree and what's also super interesting is the pricepoint on the 480... very much in line for what you'd want to spend in a 400$ console. I suspect the 4TFlops estimate for the PS4 might be lowballing it lol

kristianity77 said:
Thats quite the jump then really for the GPU if true. The only issue is, the small bump rumoured for PS4K CPU is going to be an even bigger bottleneck this time round no?

Not really. The CPU bottleneck depends on the resolution. The higher the resolution, the more GPU power is used, hence the lower bottleneck the CPU can produce. So in 1080p the difference may not be big against the current PS4, but in 4K the difference will be outrageous.

JRPGfan said:
So Neo will run a low clocked version of the RX 480 :)
Thats still pretty good news.

Very low clocked. By the specs, the 480 is going to have around 5.5TFlops and it's performance should be a little over the 390.

If rumors are to be considered, the PS4Neo has 4.something TFlops, but that's the whole system, not only the GPU. So basically the GPU is cut down in half. Talk about a low clocked version!