By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best JRPGs of the seventh gen? (BONUS: what about the worst?)

Tagged games:

Captain_Yuri said:

Best would probably be Valkyria Chronicles for me since it was quite unique in terms of gameplay

Worst is FFXIII by a mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK9keJwzu7I

I don't see what's wrong with it...The last Final fantasy I played was the 2D ones( I think VII was the last?). Either way, I'd love to see why you hate it with passion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Costume Quest, because it was short, sweet, and right to the point. It used a fun and original concept and eschewed most of the increasingly tiring aspects of the genre (ridiculously twisty story, overwrought combat system, needlessly esoteric character building, etc.). Oh, and the damn title makes sense.

Worst for me is FF13 - I'm sure it's not THE worst, but it set the tone for Square Enix's 7th gen.

Xenoblade, NNK, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head top my list.

XIII is up there as one of my least favorites. It's such a slog to get through, I just can't make myself care at any point. I really didn't play many JRPGs last gen because they were all underwhelming for quite a while.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Xenoblade.

Best demon souls or ni no kuni

Worst FF13, star Ocean 4 and the last rebellion lol

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Best would probably be Valkyria Chronicles for me since it was quite unique in terms of gameplay

Worst is FFXIII by a mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK9keJwzu7I

I don't see what's wrong with it...The last Final fantasy I played was the 2D ones( I think VII was the last?). Either way, I'd love to see why you hate it with passion

Well my biggest issue is how linear it is... Like I love jrpgs with Openness such as Xenoblade and etc but FFXIII... Was mostly just a hallway until 25+ hours. I also didn't like the characters very much, specially Lightning. And how the battle system worked with just controlling one character instead of all of them... And the list goes on...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Best (going full hipster here) would be Atelier Escha and Logy Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. Mostly due to the fact that being the first Atelier game I ever played it was something very different from what I usually get in RPGs, loved the time mechanic, the battle system simple yet engaging, the alchemy was a great element as well, being able to craft and power up items and equipment depending on the material and the effects each of them give, artstyle was great, the soundtrack is just glorious. And I definitely enjoyed the more personal story instead of being an epic adventure.

Honorable mention would go to Tales of Vesperia, another solid Tales experience and probably the last one that was excellent in the series.

Worst goes to Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World. Not a bad game per say, but definitely a terrible sequel and sub par Tales game (there is a reason why is not even considered a main title) even more so when the original is my favorite RPG of all time, seeing this game messing up some of the characters and the story as a whole was just painful, the new characters don't really bring anything worthwhile either, plus the mediocre remixes and ok new tracks makes for a forgettable soundtrack, combat felt a bit more stiff and other Tales games too, in general just a dissapointment for me on every aspect.

Best: 

Ni No Kuni
Xenoblade Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles 
Do Monster Hunter games count as JRPG? If so, Monster Hunter Tri

Worst:  

Konami in general for not making a Suikoden game for that gen. 
FF13 for being a massive dissapointment
FF13's Spinoffs
Star Ocean the last hope
Enchanted Arms??

The best hands down: Ni No Kuni.

Everything about that game is just so magical. Honestly can't wait for the sequel.

Platina said:
The World Ends With You

This.

I'd add Muramasa as runner-up.