By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best JRPGs of the seventh gen? (BONUS: what about the worst?)

Tagged games:

Ruler said:

The Last Remnant on PC

Really?  I haven't played it but heard it was baaad. I always thought it looked good tho

Around the Network

Best
1: xenoblade chronicles
2: last story
3: lost odyssey

Worst
Ni no kuni

As for my personal reply on this matter:

I think I played a fair share of JRPGs during the seventh gen. I know it wasn't the brightest gen for this genre, but I still consider some amazing gems came out from it. In no particular order, there's four:

· Lost Odyssey. Despite being somewhat easy to break (which fundamentally made it a very easy JRPG), and some story elements told in such casual manner you'd be forgiven for being unaware of them, this one was a nice throwback to Sakaguchi's old-school RPG design days. He even nailed it adding such an useless character as Tolten, in the same vein a certain spoony bard was made only to annoy the players.

· Dark Souls. I have trouble deciding which one I prefer better, Demon's or Dark, and that generally depends on my mood, but I tend to give Dark the edge, mainly because of its superb dungeon design, its gameplay structure being a bit different than Demon's and its bosses. Both amazing games, though. Not playing any of these should be considered a crime, if you like japanese RPGs.

· Final Fantasy XIII. Beautiful, with some satisfying gameplay and a kickass score to top it all. It had annoying characters, but it also had Sazh, so it's balanced!

· Tales of Vesperia. It was my first Tales, and I've got to say, it is the Tales game I love the most after playing many more. Albeit derivative when it comes to its RPG formula, it is a long, incredible game with many twists, featuring a charismatic party and with enough content to put other bigger games to shame.

What about the worst, you might ask?

· Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Ugh...I tried, I really tried liking this game. But I couldn't. It's just so boring, and bland...even with its nice sci-fi setting, I just couldn't put up with this. I've heard it was grindy as heck too, so that's even worse.

· Blue Dragon. I don't know why. I tried it and wasn't impressed, so I put no more thought in it and just stopped playing.

Special mention to Nier. A game that features enough strange gameplay designs to be considered "bad", but at the same time features some videogame brilliance that should put it on "best".

think-man said:
Ruler said:

The Last Remnant on PC

Really?  I haven't played it but heard it was baaad. I always thought it looked good tho

It was very very very bad... It had potential to be good though.  I liked the idea of the massive battles, but they completely ephed it up by not giving you full control of you units.  You could only issue vague commands and even then you didn't even have access to all of those.  For example, if you really needed to heal a unit, most of the time you couldn't because the command wasn't even one of your options...

NI No Kuni is a modern JRPG classic. If you try any JRPG, make sure it's one that you play. If you don't like JRPGS, you won't like this.

Worst: Final Fantasy XIII. Need I say more?

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

Worst: Final Fantasy XIII. Need I say more?

Yes?

FFXIII followed by FFXIII-2 and then I guess Xenoblade. We didn't get a lot last gen T.T

One of the reasons that I personally find the seventh gen really far from being the best is the lack of RPGs in general.Having said that, the ones it got were trully great.The best one in my opinion is Xenoblade Chronicles.

Not the worst JRPG, but the most dissapointing would be FF XIII

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Best:

1 - Valkyria Chronicles: Innovative SRPG with a great story
2 - Lost Odyssey: Could easily be my number one, loved the story and the battle system.
3 - Eternal Sonata: Just beautiful

Worst:

1 - Ni no Kuni: The annoying creature with a lamp hanging from its nose wouldn't shut up and let me play the game, plus the side characters only were useful as meat shields for the MC.
2 - Xenoblade Chronicles: Couldn't decide between being an ARPG or using turn based combat,the auto attacks and terrible hit detection rendered the game unplayable.
3 - Anything Neptunia: At least some of the parodies were funny...

WORST STAR OCEAN IV