By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Final Fantasy Disease" Infected Square Enix, Says FFXV's Director

Tagged games:

What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

Final Fantasy IV 7 3.03%

Final Fantasy V 2 0.87%

Final Fantasy VI 33 14.29%

Final Fantasy VII 61 26.41%

Final Fantasy VIII 27 11.69%

Final Fantasy IX 35 15.15%

Final Fantasy X 31 13.42%

Final Fantasy XII 17 7.36%

Final Fantasy XIII 10 4.33%

Other 8 3.46%

Total:231

So basically, if you have any criticism of his creative decisions, you're sick?

Uhm.....not sure I agree with this. It might just be the way he phrased it. But he himself seems to fall into the exact same pit he accuses other people of faling into. He has his own vision of what final fantasy should be, and everyone who disagrees is objectively wrong in his opinion.

While I think it is very true that you have to clear your mind and let go of conventions in order to find an innovative approach to modernize a long-standing series, I also think it's as essential to stay open to criticism.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Acevil said:

Ruler, but lot of the fans do not want the westernization of these franchises in the east, but that keeps happening. I want to buy final fantasy that is as good as last great final fantasies in gameplay mechanics (Honestly FF12, had pretty decent system, as much as gambit system sometimes plays itself if you become to high leveled). 

Your wallet speaks differentley

Not really, since the games I been playing recently have been all warriors game. One Piece, 8 Empires and Samurai Warriors 4-II. I cannot really think of the last game I bought from the east that feels like it was westernized or modernized outside of Final Fantasy XIII. 

What I don't like about the series is that they change things that did not need changing. You don't need to change things like items name, or the themes of the series. I know FF is supposed to change every game, but it needs to have a central theme. All FFs have something to do with beating gods. I don't see how XV will have any gods.

Nem said:

"modernise". I don't see whats modernised about holding the button to attack, but ok. Maybe he shouldn't make assumptions before he sees the result.

Going back to the roots and modernising them is exactly what they should've done. Not trying to copy western games.

Can't they look at why Persona became so popular?

Sounds like you have said disease.

Why is holding a particular button so bad? But selecting attack, by pushing a button btw, is so much different and better?

vivster said:
Nautilus said:

You think it will be bad because of the male protagonists? LOL

I mean, I know there are tastes for everything and all, but hating on a game and dooming it just because of the gender of a charachter that you dont even know.... its hilarious, to say the least.We all complain when companies such as activision rehash over and over again its games, but when someone tries to do something different, like trying to have a different narrative with an all male party(which isnt even true, since you can have guests and some of those guests are - surprise surprise - females), there are people like you that will claim that it will suck based on that alone.And goes on to say that would be ok with an all female party?I know the internet is a messy place, but I really dont understand it sometimes.

And it wont run shit. LOL

First because after all Square been through, I highly doubt that they would make such an fundamental mistake like that.Second, that demo was rushed, and that was admited by Square itself.the demo was a glorified technical demo, that was there just to show what the game was capable of.

And be my guests and wait years until you get your PC version.You do what you want.But I need to thank you.It brigthens my day seeing senseless posts like this now and then.

Trust me, if it was an all female cast I would be all over it hyping it as the best FF ever. And yeah, that's my taste. I know that there are people out there who love to stare for 50h at a scrawny boy's ass and fangirling all over the bromance but that is not me. Change for change's sake is the worst thing that you can do.

For me it will be the worst FF ever unless they can pull at least one or 2 proper characters out of their ass. The 2 introduced female characters so far seem dull as shit. I have some hope for the female villain but she won't have enough screen time to carry the game.

I'm fairly optimistic that I will not have to wait longer than a year for a PC port. All major SE releases in the past years ran like shit. LR:FFXIII, Drakengard 3, FF Type Zero, Dragon Quest Heroes. That shows that SE simply does not give a shit about performance. There is absolutely no indication why FFXV would be any different, especially after the beta and demo.

So thats what I understand from what I read:Just because they are men means that they, as a carachter, will suck?I mean, you can have that impression, but saying that as a fact is simply wrong.And it makes more wrong that, assuming the conditions were the same, an all-girl party would be awesome.I mean, it could be just as bad as a bromance in your line of thinking.Just with girls.Unless you have some fetish with girls in videogames.But that goes beyond the point if a charachter, either male or female, is interesting or not.

So please, if you have a valid reason to hate the game, a valid reason being gameplay differences, overall theme of the game, lack of story and so on, please state so and elaborate.But if it a reason as simply as "Oh hey, he has blue hair!This game must suck then.Hate blue-haired people".Then just state outright, because otherwise people will misinterpret you and try to have an actual argument, when there is none to have, since you cant argue against extremely personal preferences.

Oh, and unless you play on PC or a different type of PS4 than everybody else, none of those games that you mentioned(as far as I know) runs like "shit".Stop making extreme statements and start making arguments.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I personally think the FF glory days ended with X. It's not because of the changes but because of the quality. This director is too focused on making it "modern" and not once does he talks about making it "better".

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Nautilus said:

So thats what I understand from what I read:Just because they are men means that they, as a carachter, will suck?I mean, you can have that impression, but saying that as a fact is simply wrong.And it makes more wrong that, assuming the conditions were the same, an all-girl party would be awesome.I mean, it could be just as bad as a bromance in your line of thinking.Just with girls.Unless you have some fetish with girls in videogames.But that goes beyond the point if a charachter, either male or female, is interesting or not.

So please, if you have a valid reason to hate the game, a valid reason being gameplay differences, overall theme of the game, lack of story and so on, please state so and elaborate.But if it a reason as simply as "Oh hey, he has blue hair!This game must suck then.Hate blue-haired people".Then just state outright, because otherwise people will misinterpret you and try to have an actual argument, when there is none to have, since you cant argue against extremely personal preferences.

Oh, and unless you play on PC or a different type of PS4 than everybody else, none of those games that you mentioned(as far as I know) runs like "shit".Stop making extreme statements and start making arguments.

You need to play more JRPG's. No female characters in a party is just wrong. They have been there for years, why the sudden change? Stupid Square doesn't know how to develop a proper RPG anymore.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
Nautilus said:

You need to play more JRPG's. No female characters in a party is just wrong. They have been there for years, why the sudden change? Stupid Square doesn't know how to develop a proper RPG anymore.

I play a gigantic amount of RPGs, JRPG specially....  Its also my favorite genre, so I know what Im talking about.

I really dont see the problem, AS LONG AS the relation betwenn the characters work.I mean, as long as you get invested in them, it dosent really matter if the are male, female or a third sex altogether.When the game launches, and the "bromance" does suck, then Ill agree with both of you.As of now, it can be as good as a mixed party, or as bad as a all female party(dont try to fool yourself that Yuna, Rikku and Paine trio in FF X-2was specially good).

Edit:Just thought of another good example.If being a male only party is bad, then KH should have sucked.I mean, Donald and Goofy may tecnically be animals, but they are still males.And that franchise turned out to be one of the bests of all time.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

The battle system in the demos is great and the game is aimed to encourage exploration so Im not really worried about it being as bad as FF13 because they seem to be consciously avoiding making the same mistakes. Now my only concern is that the characters and story are mature enough and don't end up like FFX's. I know a lot of people liked that game, for me it was childish and annoying. Much more than usual. 

basically 'no no FFXIII did not suck, it is a great game that just don't fullfills your view of how a FF game should be'