By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Final Fantasy Disease" Infected Square Enix, Says FFXV's Director

Tagged games:

What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

Final Fantasy IV 7 3.03%

Final Fantasy V 2 0.87%

Final Fantasy VI 33 14.29%

Final Fantasy VII 61 26.41%

Final Fantasy VIII 27 11.69%

Final Fantasy IX 35 15.15%

Final Fantasy X 31 13.42%

Final Fantasy XII 17 7.36%

Final Fantasy XIII 10 4.33%

Other 8 3.46%

Total:231

"If that view of Final Fantasy isn’t fulfilled, then they’re convinced that it’s bad for Final Fantasy."

Sums up exactly what happens in almost every FF related topic. This thread included.

In a general sense, I really appreciate the flexible nature of FF. It makes it what it is.

Around the Network

Again they think things need to change to become better... while being interviewed by a guy who essentially has just made an updated graphical game for the last 2 decades. Just make what they know great, don't copy other games style of gameplay to 'adapt' when your gameplay was fine to begin with.

This is a sign we will never get a turn based traditional FF game again.

Hmm, pie.

I see one user can't count. They accidentally hit XIII instead of IX

Ka-pi96 said:
Pretty sure 13 was also an attempt to 'modernise' the series. Look how well that went...

Sold amazingly well compared to other FF games making them think that is the way to go.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

It didn't sell as well as 7/10 though...

True, yet they were the first big FFs in a certain gen (so was 13) and 7 was the first release of a FF game in the EU, helps boost numbers. IX which by many including the maker himself as the finest has sold least. Most would love an FF game like that again.

Hiku said:

You could however beat the FFX Demo boss doing nothing but mashing X to attack, because that boss could never bring your HP down below 1 because it only does Demi attacks.

Out of interest, what FFX demo? From like 15 years ago? 

The demo of FFXV I didn't like because the start was just platforming collecting tokens. Don't know about you guys but I don't thin I've ever bought an FF game for the platforming.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Harkins1721 said:

Yup because that's all you do is hold one button.

Pretty much. If you want to be difficult then yeah... you got 2 dodge buttons and a change weapon button. Alas 90% of the time is spent holding the button down, so i don't know what youre getting touchy about. The truth is the truth.

Touchy? How? They still havent shown off most team attacks, and party AI to the full exent. Plus Noctis' special moves by himself. Different weapons have different abilities as well. Then you also get summons and magic. So there is a lot more then meets the eye. 

VXIII said:

"If that view of Final Fantasy isn’t fulfilled, then they’re convinced that it’s bad for Final Fantasy."

Sums up exactly what happens in almost every FF related topic. This thread included.

In a general sense, I really appreciate the flexible nature of FF. It makes it what it is.

Yep, I say this every time if FF XIII had a different name, lets say it was called "Lightning and a buncch of friends go on an adventure" it wouldn't have 1/10th of the haters it has. XIII and specialy XIII-2 are very solid games, they have their flaws but heck they are well put together games that anyone with an open mind can enjoy quite a bit. But its too different from this idealized version of Final Fantasy, wich I believe is somethign very similar to FFVI and/or VII. Even FF VIII, X and XII get lots of flack for being "not Final Fantasy" enought.

Whenever I play a new FF I face it as a completly different game, forget everythign about the others and enjoy the moment. OF course some ppl willprefer this one or that one, but I have a realy ahrd time understanding why most gamers has this ideal version of what FF should be when every entry is its own thing and changes completly from what came before troughout the history of the series.

Harkins1721 said:
Nem said:

Pretty much. If you want to be difficult then yeah... you got 2 dodge buttons and a change weapon button. Alas 90% of the time is spent holding the button down, so i don't know what youre getting touchy about. The truth is the truth.

Touchy? How? They still havent shown off most team attacks, and party AI to the full exent. Plus Noctis' special moves by himself. Different weapons have different abilities as well. Then you also get summons and magic. So there is a lot more then meets the eye. 

System has lots of similaritys to Kingdom Hearts. Its definetly not just holding a button. This is just the overall complaint from the ppl that cries over it not being turn based and that went nuts once they saw FFVII remake is probably not going to be turned based either. 

DakonBlackblade said:

System has lots of similaritys to Kingdom Hearts. Its definetly not just holding a button. This is just the overall complaint from the ppl that cries over it not being turn based and that went nuts once they saw FFVII remake is probably not going to be turned based either. 

I agree with you on your first statement about a game 'not being Final Fantasy' as i think FF12 is a fantastic game, superb gameplay, great characters (minus Vaan), unique world etc but it lacks in feeling like a main series FF game. That is due to lack of certain qualities like summon changes, free roaming combat, auto attacking etc.

On the above though. A demo will only really show so much, in all FF games, you start with very little, just 'attack' and maybe one spell. As time goes on you get more and more, different ways to fight battles, so I have no doubt FF15s combat will adapt and change as it goes on but this won't mean many want the KH style gameplay in a FF game. The last sentence is why I happily voted FF7 in this thread's poll but at this time, will not be buying the remake... as it won't be FF7. Yes, you could say i could just go back and play FF7 whenever I want but people wanted the same game with pretty graphics, new environments and all that, you don't have to remove the very gameplay that made it FF.

Hmm, pie.

vivster said:
As long as they're making DQ they can ruin FF as much as they want. The only thing we can hope is that they do not expand on FFXV and go straight to FFXVI to actually make a good game again.

You are too pessimist for your own good, you know that right?

FF XV hasnt even released and you already say it will suck.Dont get me wrong, I also got pissed when they did a 180 degress with the gameplay(I guess thats where you get the hate from), but that dosent mean, actually it dosent even indicate, that the game will be bad.Wait for the actual game to release first, then bash it all you want.

But yeah, for the next FF, hope they go back to turn based battles(without going completely old school of course) and  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD go for a medieval setting.Im sick of having a modern FF for the last 10 years.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
vivster said:
As long as they're making DQ they can ruin FF as much as they want. The only thing we can hope is that they do not expand on FFXV and go straight to FFXVI to actually make a good game again.

You are too pessimist for your own good, you know that right?

FF XV hasnt even released and you already say it will suck.Dont get me wrong, I also got pissed when they did a 180 degress with the gameplay(I guess thats where you get the hate from), but that dosent mean, actually it dosent even indicate, that the game will be bad.Wait for the actual game to release first, then bash it all you want.

But yeah, for the next FF, hope they go back to turn based battles(without going completely old school of course) and  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD go for a medieval setting.Im sick of having a modern FF for the last 10 years.

I knew it would suck as soon as I saw the cast. Theey can fuck off with their sausage fest. Almost every FF so far allowed me to build an all female party and now I'm stuck with a bunch of prettyboys? Fuck that. I don't care about the action combat. It probably would be fun if it wasn't such a bro fest. The fact that it will run like shit on PS4 is just the cherry on top which makes it even easier for me to just wait for the PC version.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will not enjoy this game. I wouldn't even have a second look at it if it hadn't the name Final Fantasy attached to it. All that's left is to find out if it will be even more boring and awful than FFVI.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.