By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rainmaker Loses $10 Million on ‘Ratchet & Clank,’ Blames Disney!

Tagged games:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/rainmaker-loses-10-million-ratchet-clank-blames-disney-failure-139760.html

A logical step for many mid-sized animation/vfx production shops who wish to expand beyond the role of service provider for major film studios is to produce their own intellectual property — or at least develop branded content in which they have a financial stake. The latter was attempted by Rainmaker Entertainment in its deal with Insomniac Games to develop the video game series Ratchet & Clank into a theatrical franchise.

Rainmaker’s gamble, however, didn’t quite work out as planned, and the film has had a disappointing box office run. As a result, Rainmaker recentlyannounced that it would book an impairment charge of approximately $10 million.

While a number of companies were involved in financing the film, Rainmaker was the lead investor, putting up 63% of the production cost. The $10 million writedown includes the studio’s proportional share of advertising expenses, estimated between $1-4 million, and will be applied against net income in the first quarter of 2016.

Around the Network

I feel bad for these guys. It's through though, it's hard to compete with Disney. They're just too good.

Perhaps they should have made a better movie to begin with

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

It's pretty stupid to blame someone for being superior to you.

In the words of insecure nerds, "git gud."

I'm still trying to grasp why they thought R&C needed a movie in the first place. I mean, the series is popular, but not enough that it warrants ventures into multimedia. Disney has a huge following, even their flops are considered a success. They're not on their level.

Around the Network

While the movie certainly bombed, I feel the need to point out that an impairment charge of 10 million does not necesarily imply that they had a net loss of 10 million on the movie.

Ljink96 said:

I'm still trying to grasp why they thought R&C needed a movie in the first place. I mean, the series is popular, but not enough that it warrants ventures into multimedia. Disney has a huge following, even their flops are considered a success. They're not on their level.

Yeah, it always seemed like a strange decision. Why not do a direct-to-DVD release? Like the DCAU movies. And bundle the DVD with copies of the game for a premium. Or something like that.

Ljink96 said:

The problem isn't that Ratchet was chosen here, it's WHO chose to try to make the film. According to Insomniac, they've been working for half a decade on getting a Ratchet movie to happen because Ratchet, if any game franchise could do so, has some of the best odds at casual market success. I mean the games are CALLED Pixar games for God's sake! All you need is good direction and animation and you're set. 

(Guess what the movie didn't have.)

That said it's still the second best game movie made to date, behind Phoenix Wright. It's not by any means bad, it's just insanely underbudgeted ($15m is the number thrown around, and with that budget it's legitimately a miracle the film was even finished). I blame Rainmaker fully for expecting such a huge profit though. They were expecting a $60m turnaround on a release they knew was lacking, with a release date timed the week before Civil War. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

it was a bad movie, poorly distributed and poorly marketed.

It got what it deserved.

It was a decent movie but Disney's not to blame.