By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Digital Foundry tests the GTX 1080

Looks like 120fps on 1440p with a single card is still a pipedream.

Around the Network

Nice. Can't wait to see what AMD has to offer. For 2560x1080p I think 1070 level of performance would be perfect, but I'm affraid the card will be a poor overclocker. Have to wait for AMD, have to be patient... Arrr...

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

I got a Asus strix 980ti for 435 today after i saw those benchmarks

Dunno if anyone can answer, but if I buy this new card can my i7 4820k 3.7 ghz cpu continue to work well for me, or will it become a bottlenecking liability soon?

I'm just not seeing myself going to AMD.

I have 150 or so Nvidia 3D Vision games that i enjoy going back to (and still occasionally release new profiles despite the death of 3D) and AMD  simply don't have the bank to partner on game launches , certainly not to the level that Nvidia does or the 7000 series yesteryears where they had their Gaming Evolved promos.

Mantle and TrueAudio...were terribly aborted and unsupported by developers.

I mean they would have completely annihilate competing Nvidia cards as well as pull a change of fortunes where they become uncontested top dogs in the high end for me to consider switching. In the meantime as long as the majority of games favor Nvidia hardware, that's where my wallet will be.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Around the Network
NYANKS said:

Dunno if anyone can answer, but if I buy this new card can my i7 4820k 3.7 ghz cpu continue to work well for me, or will it become a bottlenecking liability soon?

Core i7 4820K is still potent... Sure it might only be a quaddy, but it's still a good quaddy, it would have no issue running multiple Geforce GTX 1080's.

And never worry about Bottlenecks, you will always have them somewhere, even with the best and fastest of everything, they will also change depending on game, scene, settings etc'.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Any news about a mobile 1080m or something? I was planning to buy a new notebook in the next few weeks with a GTX 980m, but now this thing comes around and I wonder if I should wait for notebooks with 1080m... =/

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

CGI-Quality said:
JRPGfan said:

A 1080 GTX is overkill unless you plan to game at higher resoultions.

People say this with every new GPU release. At 1080p, it is effecient and ideal. If it's "plenty more than someone needs", that is a good thing.

Yeah I agree with this. You don't want it dropping under your ideal framerate under heavy load.

JRPGfan said:

A 1080 GTX is overkill unless you plan to game at higher resoultions.

I don't think so. With this card, you are safe for quite a time if you have your PC hooked up to your TV and if it's 1080p TV. You can play at maximum settings and don't have to worry about dropping frames anytime soon if you lock the framerate to 60fps.

NYANKS said:

Of course it will work well for you. The current progress is to put more load on the GPU and not the CPU but your CPU will be fine, although 4 of these threads are only hyperthreaded.