By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Digital Foundry tests the GTX 1080

CGI-Quality said:
JRPGfan said:

A 1080 GTX is overkill unless you plan to game at higher resoultions.

People say this with every new GPU release. At 1080p, it is effecient and ideal. If it's "plenty more than someone needs", that is a good thing.

Agreed, I would say 4k is the new computer standard with some people wanting not one, but 3 4k monitors used together.

If not now, then soon.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Turkish said:
vivster said:

It kinda stayed true though. The 1080 is not a big enough improvement over the 980ti to upgrade. Volta will not release before 2018 and Big Volta may as well be not available before the end of 2018 or even 2019.

Upgrading now to a 1080 would be silly when there is a 1080ti on the Horizon which is significantly more powerful and the only thing able to tide us over to Big Volta.

Have you even seen the reviews? The 1080 is a big enough upgrade over the titan x, let alone the 980ti. On average you're getting 20-30fps more.

The 1080ti is not on the horizon, where did you get that idea from? The next titan is likely spring 2017 and for the 1080ti you'll gonna have to wait until summer 2017.  By that time you'll start hearing rumours of Volta and people are gonna wait on that in 2018. But then it appears it was "little Volta" even though it's an impressive upgrade but people will still downplay it and do the waiting game for Big Volta, and the next gpu gen after it... neverending cycle.

Where did you get Spring from? I expect it sooner than that.

First of all the wait for the Big Pascal is a lot shorter than the wait from Big Pascal to Big Volta. I also expect a bigger performance increase from 1080 to Big Pascal than from 980ti to 1080, which is barely 20% on average at 1440p. When Big Pascal hits the market we won't know shit about Volta. So the perfect time to buy it.

But all that doesn't really matter since 1080 is just too small of an increase to make it worthwhile, especially because I plan to go SLI. Going SLI with sub High End is stupid. Big Pascal is the only sensible way to go unless you either got money to burn or need a new GPU right now.

The neverending cycle stops when I buy Pascal and then wait if Big Volta is good enough to upgrade.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Turkish said:

Have you even seen the reviews? The 1080 is a big enough upgrade over the titan x, let alone the 980ti. On average you're getting 20-30fps more.

it's only doing 20-30fps more in games/in settings you already get 90-100fps in with a 980 TI and there those extra fps are pretty much useless

however when a 980 Ti is doing 30-40fps and you really want extra performance a 1080 will only get you 6-12fps more - that's how percentages work

Lafiel said:
Turkish said:

it's only doing 20-30fps more in games/in settings you already get 90-100fps in with a 980 TI and there those extra fps are pretty much useless

however when a 980 Ti is doing 30-40fps and you really want extra performance a 1080 will only get you 6-12fps more - that's how percentages work

Don't spoil the fun with percentages. I will get 500 fps more on CS1.6 if I switch now from 980ti to 1080!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

padib said:
Ruler said:
the performance is quite amazing i could easily play every current AAA game in 120Hz on my old monitor. But the prices are really redicolous, Nvidia charges 800€ for this card, its 200€ more than what americans pay and the Euro is still above the US Dollar.

From the reports it looks like the GTX 1080 will be a lot cheaper than the Titan X which is at those prices (800€ you mention, or more like 1000€).

They are expecting to launch it at 699USD (so around 600€).

It looks like it will be the goto card for mainstream VR.

launch prices

Gtx 480 479€

Gtx 580 479€

Gtx 680 500€

Gtx 780 641€

Gtx 980 540€

Gtx 1080 789€

Around the Network

In terms of power consumption it looks like the card uses about the same as a standard GTX 980. That means roughly a 50% improvement in terms of performance per watt. So that's good news.

The bad news however is that while it's about 30% faster than a GTX 980 ti, it's also about 20% more expensive. So you only get a little bit more "bang for the buck". That's pretty dissappointing with a die size that's almost been cut in half.

Ruler said:
the performance is quite amazing i could easily play every current AAA game in 120Hz on my old monitor. But the prices are really redicolous, Nvidia charges 800€ for this card, its 200€ more than what americans pay and the Euro is still above the US Dollar.

I don't know where you live, but 600$ price tag is always without taxes while the € prices are most of the time with taxes. So in the end, +shipments the prices is kind of identical.

It's easier to see when comparing console prices

599$ without tax vs 599€ with tax.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I don't need to upgrade from 980ti just yet then.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Mafioso said:

I'm just not seeing myself going to AMD.

I have 150 or so Nvidia 3D Vision games that i enjoy going back to (and still occasionally release new profiles despite the death of 3D) and AMD  simply don't have the bank to partner on game launches , certainly not to the level that Nvidia does or the 7000 series yesteryears where they had their Gaming Evolved promos.

Mantle and TrueAudio...were terribly aborted and unsupported by developers.

I mean they would have completely annihilate competing Nvidia cards as well as pull a change of fortunes where they become uncontested top dogs in the high end for me to consider switching. In the meantime as long as the majority of games favor Nvidia hardware, that's where my wallet will be.

Mantle was aborted? where do you think Vulkan and DX12 are coming from?

Anyhow... still waiting at the minimum for Vega... eyeing what Navi might be bringing to the table. Still rocking a 1080 144Hz monitor on a R9 290X OC, not reason enough to change yet. By the time some proper DX 12 and Vulkan games are out, together with improved drivers, we can have more apt comparisons. From what I read Nvidia is a few steps back in async compute compared to AMD and that will start showing later this year.

We will see...

vivster said:
Turkish said:

The 1080ti is not on the horizon, where did you get that idea from? The next titan is likely spring 2017 and for the 1080ti you'll gonna have to wait until summer 2017.  By that time you'll start hearing rumours of Volta and people are gonna wait on that in 2018. But then it appears it was "little Volta" even though it's an impressive upgrade but people will still downplay it and do the waiting game for Big Volta, and the next gpu gen after it... neverending cycle.

Where did you get Spring from? I expect it sooner than that.

First of all the wait for the Big Pascal is a lot shorter than the wait from Big Pascal to Big Volta. I also expect a bigger performance increase from 1080 to Big Pascal than from 980ti to 1080, which is barely 20% on average at 1440p. When Big Pascal hits the market we won't know shit about Volta. So the perfect time to buy it.

But all that doesn't really matter since 1080 is just too small of an increase to make it worthwhile, especially because I plan to go SLI. Going SLI with sub High End is stupid. Big Pascal is the only sensible way to go unless you either got money to burn or need a new GPU right now.

The neverending cycle stops when I buy Pascal and then wait if Big Volta is good enough to upgrade.

Titans always release in Spring, I expect the new one to come out around March, that's 9 months from now, it is also expect that HBM2 is gonna be ready in Q1 2017. A few months after the new Titan I expect the 1080Ti when HBM2 becomes more readily available, kinda like how it went with big Maxwell.

Fact is you're not gonna see a new $599-699 level card from Nvidia until at least next year. The 1080 has a 30% performance increase compared to Titan X at 1440p as well, that's a lot, you're not gonna see a 50% boost over that with the 1080Ti. Hell, when was the last time you saw a 50% boost? The flagship Maxwell is also "only" 30% faster than the flagship Kepler.

If you have a 980ti, you should wait. But for those of us with a 970 or lower, it's a perfect upgrade that should last us until Volta.

Lafiel said:
Turkish said:

Err that's only at 4K and the 1080 is bottlenecked by the memory. Disappointing for the tiny minority who game at 4K though. I think it's still 2 years too early to expect decent 4K60.