By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Digital Foundry tests the GTX 1080

Turkish said:
vivster said:

Where did you get Spring from? I expect it sooner than that.

First of all the wait for the Big Pascal is a lot shorter than the wait from Big Pascal to Big Volta. I also expect a bigger performance increase from 1080 to Big Pascal than from 980ti to 1080, which is barely 20% on average at 1440p. When Big Pascal hits the market we won't know shit about Volta. So the perfect time to buy it.

But all that doesn't really matter since 1080 is just too small of an increase to make it worthwhile, especially because I plan to go SLI. Going SLI with sub High End is stupid. Big Pascal is the only sensible way to go unless you either got money to burn or need a new GPU right now.

The neverending cycle stops when I buy Pascal and then wait if Big Volta is good enough to upgrade.

Titans always release in Spring, I expect the new one to come out around March, that's 9 months from now, it is also expect that HBM2 is gonna be ready in Q1 2017. A few months after the new Titan I expect the 1080Ti when HBM2 becomes more readily available, kinda like how it went with big Maxwell.

Fact is you're not gonna see a new $599-699 level card from Nvidia until at least next year. The 1080 has a 30% performance increase compared to Titan X at 1440p as well, that's a lot, you're not gonna see a 50% boost over that with the 1080Ti. Hell, when was the last time you saw a 50% boost? The flagship Maxwell is also "only" 30% faster than the flagship Kepler.

If you have a 980ti, you should wait. But for those of us with a 970 or lower, it's a perfect upgrade that should last us until Volta.

Never said anything else. 1080 is a great update to the 980 but not to the 980ti. I don't care a lot about price, so whichever Big Pascal is first I will get. And from 980ti to Big Pascal it's easily 50%, which is all I want.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
padib said:
Ruler said:

launch prices

Gtx 480 479€

Gtx 580 479€

Gtx 680 500€

Gtx 780 641€

Gtx 980 540€

Gtx 1080 789€

idk this is my source right now:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/

Still, can't see a 600-700 Euro card to ever be "mainstream" for anything. That will be the 1070's role.

At what time is the AMD conference? I hope nVidia pressure makes them go for it!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Dat marketing...

'30%' sounds a lot better than '6-8 fps' in 4K...

Really curious how the 1070 will fare in 4K compared to the 1080 & 980Ti.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Mafioso said:
Dat marketing...

'30%' sounds a lot better than '6-8 fps' in 4K...

Really curious how the 1070 will fare in 4K compared to the 1080 & 980Ti.

The 1070 is about as much a 4k card as the 980ti. It's not.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DX12 is still "meh", let's wait and see if it will do something for real or if Vulkan will be the real innovation. I don't think that people are being fair when comparing the 1080 with the 980ti and Titan X. It is the successor of the 980, so that's the real comparison. Is costs around half the price of a Titan and is 100 bucks cheaper than the 980ti while beating its performance.

AMD needs to improve their game. Too much games with performance problems on AMD GPUs. I know that Nvidia tries to screw AMD whenever they can, but they really need to create counter-measures because nobody wants to buy 500 bucks GPUs and keep having issues with gaming performance.

Chazore said:

All they need is your soul for payment =P

As much as I would be interested in a 1080ti or Titan G, those two won't be anywhere near as cheap as the current cards. If you guys have more than 1k to spend on GPU like that so soon after the current ti models then my hat is off to you. 

The 1080ti will probably be around 700 dollars. They increased the price of the x70 and x80 model slightly compared to the 900 series. It's expected that they will follow the same logic. Only the Titan will be above 1k.

Around the Network

I don't know man, the only 1080 we've seen thus far are the $699 Founder's Editions. At launch any quality overclocked card is probably going to capitalize around that pricepoint or just under.

I don't even want to know what the cheap $599 ones are going to look like. They'll look like the cheapest platic blower style shrounds resembling the barebone Nvidia cards of generations ago.

Frankly as 980 substitute it is overpriced. They are taking advantage in the gaps of competition in the market though since 980Ti's will disappear and in the time being it will be the best card around in the high end.

I'll probably stick with my card for at least another two years since it has plenty of power to max games in 1440p. Glad to see that things are finally starting to happen on the 4k front though, higher bandwith and memory size will certainly increase output even more this year and next!

padib said:
Scisca said:

Still, can't see a 600-700 Euro card to ever be "mainstream" for anything. That will be the 1070's role.

At what time is the AMD conference? I hope nVidia pressure makes them go for it!

600-700$, no Euros.

Also, keep in mind our definitions of mainstream prices will probably change due to the expensive nature of VR.

What is mainstream for usual gaming will be probably 30-50% higher for VR-ready systems.

Don't hold your breath, it will be 600-700 Euro in Europe, at least in the beginning.

No, the definitions won't change. Mainstream is what the vast majority has. It will either be the 1070 or an AMD card, considering their plan to go strong into mainstream VR. I see no reason why people with 1070 would think their cards are too weak to try VR.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Well i spoke to soon. :/

My 980Ti just sold on ebay, for asking price to boot...  i can't complain , i could've watched the market  bring it down below $400 in the coming weeks.

Hopefully a Superclocked ACX 1080 is not too far off ( I need a 10.6" or less card) . It looks like i'll be hunkering down and playing on console only for the next month.

I guess i havent ruled out a sidegrade of a 1070 either provided it performs similarly, if anything for the additional ram and driver support.

I really want the 1080Ti so this would be temporary anyways. Still , should be fun overclocking the piss out of the new architecture.

The only thing that's going to stop me getting one of these beauties in August is AMD releasing Vega in October, assuming that it's more of a Beast than the 1080.