By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many NX's does Nintendo need to sell for it to be considered a success?

For the NX to be a success how many units need to be sold?

10-20 million 8 1.91%

20-30 million 52 12.44%

30-40 million 137 32.78%

40-50 million 84 20.10%

50-60 million 93 22.25%

It doesnt matter what it sells NINTENDOOM! 27 6.46%

Whats an NX? 17 4.07%

Total:418
maxleresistant said:
teigaga said:

Where are you deriving your definition of success? Is this from Nintendo's own mouth?

Likely success is completely respective to what they hoped to achieve. It is well known the gamecube was a bigger money maker than the 360 and PS3. It could only be a failure in terms of what Nintendo had hoped to achieve. Same with N64.

They sold 100 millions Wii, and 150 millions NDS, That's 250 millions consoles sold in the span of 5/6 years.

Do you really think Nintendo is content with selling 72 millions units at this point in the gen? Do you think they would be happy and think it's a success if they sold 30 millions home console and 70 million handhelds?

They always made a lot of money, they always aimed for more, they are not aiming at the gamecube numbers, they are aiming at a lot more than that. Also the cost of making games has been increased tenfold since the Gamecube. You can't make as much profit with the same sales.

30 millions would put the NX behind the Wii, NES, SNES and N64. How can anyone here thinks that Nintendo will be happy with the NX being their 5th best selling console? 

I'm dead sure on that, if it doesn't do better than  the N64, they'll categorize it as a mild failure. Hell, I bet they would even think 40 millions is not a success.

For me 40 millions means : a good third party support, a great first party support, great sales of software, and good profits. That xould be a success

Their expectations must adjust to the market and what they see as possible through their developments. You can't just will a 150m selling system into existence or shit out another Wii type phenomenom based on desire alone, their must exist a capable product and strategy behind it.

All the consoles you reference are 10years+ old and existed in a very different climate. Their last console wasn't the Wii, it was the Wii U. Their last handheld wasnt the 150m selling DS, it was the 60-70m selling 3DS. Forecasting isn't just a bubble where you pick a number which you like the most, you study the market, your recent performance, things you've done in the past and analyse the things your future products will do to make a difference. Nintendo understand the Handheld market has been devoured by mobiles, likely why they have started releasing mobile games. The DS is no longer a relevant reference point for success.

More to the point a companies forecasts and goals are based more specifically on profit than units sold. Lets say Nintendo's goal is to quadruble their profits in the next 5 years, their aims to achieve this may be through consolidating their console space with a system which sells at a fair profit at day one (far higher hardware profit margins than Wii U) and reaches 30m units in the next 4 years (more than 2x than Wii U) and has much more software revenue through a unified platform connected to their handheld equalling more games on both systems. On top of this they supplement their profits from the console with mobile tie-in games and a premium subscription service for new game content, discounts etc. Quadrubling profits doesn't simply mean 4x hardware units sold. 

I wouldn't argue with your personal definition of success for the NX, just wanted to point out that for Nintendo its more than just how many units they sell and their expectations are grounded by the current market situations and whatever product they've managed to come up with behind the scenes.

Around the Network

Depending on what the NX actually is, around 30M is my guess

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Its more about total game sales for Nintendo so in their ideal scenario, they'll have multiple 8, 9, 10+ million sellers. You don't really need 100+ mil console owners to achieve that, but if you get a strong core of 30+ mil with a good 1st party sw tie ratio, Nintendo should be satisfied.

SpokenTruth said:
Nintendo fans - 25 million
Sony fans - Greater than Sony sales
MS fans - Greater than MS sales
Retail analysts - Close margin to competition
Financial analyst - Increased annual profits

No one in this thread is saying it needs to sell 80 mil to be success.  

Logic says 40-50M
They should be glad if it manages 30-40M and build on that

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
SpokenTruth said:
Nintendo fans - 25 million
Sony fans - Greater than Sony sales
MS fans - Greater than MS sales
Retail analysts - Close margin to competition
Financial analyst - Increased annual profits

No one in this thread is saying it needs to sell 80 mil to be success.  

I still think PS4 is going over 120m maybe even upwards of 140m, total life time sales.

I have no expectation on nintendo to sell anywhere near that with the NX.

More than the PS4 lol if not then all the fanboys will say its a flop.

In all seriousness probably 70-80 million

Nintendo seems to be happy enough to make decent profit, so probably not that much really. But for it to be remarkable in some way, probably at least 30-40 million, preferably more.

I've answered what is an NX. anyway I'm happy if NX would achieve 30M. continue the games we love and ensure the games are kept coming. Plus bring proper sequels to the franchise that is dormant for a long time. Hope Nintendo can be creative enough. And ensure that they have a good insight that the games today that it needs those graphics to be well defined.

RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:
This really depends on the definition of success. As long as its profitable, then its worth-while to do. So it then comes down to other indications of success. If it is based on consumer acceptance or market leadership, then it isn't as simple as selling X MM. It has a lot of other variables.

For instance, I look at Wii U. As a comparison to the sales of other Nintendo consoles, then it is not 'successful'. But in terms of profitability and lessons learned, it is successful.

It's about lessons being learned, huh? Well then, you are a failure. Your Nintendo fanboyism continues to mess up your brain.

On topic: More than the 3DS and Wii U combined, coupled with a few billion dollars of profit. Setting the bar for success low only makes people complacent.

Wiiu was profitable and they did learn lessons around ui, network, and other specific items. Those lessons don't ignore other areas they failed.