By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many NX's does Nintendo need to sell for it to be considered a success?

For the NX to be a success how many units need to be sold?

10-20 million 8 1.91%

20-30 million 52 12.44%

30-40 million 137 32.78%

40-50 million 84 20.10%

50-60 million 93 22.25%

It doesnt matter what it sells NINTENDOOM! 27 6.46%

Whats an NX? 17 4.07%

Total:418
Hibern81 said:
theprof00 said:
Success for Nintendo is based on profit. As long as it makes them a very good profit, it will be a success. # of consoles isn't really a factor though I suppose it will be in the 20-30m range

Im sure the Wii U has turned in some sort of profit at this point, but Nintendo still considers the console a failure. Success is not alway synonymous with units sold but its a pretty fair indicator.

I actually think wiiu cost them money. Maybe a tiny bit of profit, but Im not sure it makes up for the r&d. I honestly don't know the figures but I know it's cost them quite a bit.

Around the Network

It'll be about profit for them in the end. Idk how many consoles will they need to gain a profit, but I'll guess 20-30 million on home consoles at least, though that depends on R&D. Even if the CPU and other capabilities are similar to that of Xbox One, it's not necessarily cheap. Game development is also expensive and takes longer and is more complicated (yeah I'm beating a dead horse).

60m for each I'd wager, but I'm confident both will do at least double that.

one to me lol

spemanig said:

you are starting to sound like John Lucas

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
spemanig said:

I'm sorry. Let me do the popular thing and pretend it's unrealistic expect that Nintendo will ever have a leading platform again.

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm sorry. Let me do the popular thing and pretend it's unrealistic expect that Nintendo will ever have a leading platform again.

there is a large middleground between saying NX will sell 240 million minimum and Nintendo will never lead again.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

It is unrealistic though not impossible. Even the Wiimote ... they didn't invent it, the guy who created wanted badly to sell it to Microsoft and Sony first.

What are the odds of such a breakthrough falling in their laps again. The other thing is this time around I don't see Sony getting overconfident simply because their other divisions have taken such a beating (like TVs and stereos) that they cannot afford to let the Playstation brand ever slip again. If the Playstation brand falls then they'll have what? One division (insurance, lol) that reliably makes money? With Kaz Hirai (from the Playstation division itself) now the head of Sony, that division will always be a priority.

Most changes in leadership position in this business have come from the market leader totally fucking up some how, only then is an oppurtunity created.

30 million console NXs + 50 million portable NXs + $700-$1 billion in mobile revenue/year (Square-Enix made $630 mill from mobile last year, Nintendo can beat that I'm betting) ... I think they will have a very, very healthy business at least. There's no reason to have to be market leader, though it would be nice in some ways.

Truth be told Nintendo always acts like a drunken idiot when they have market leadership, it's probably for the best that they are stable/strong secondary hardware provider.

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

"60m for each I'd wager, but I'm confident both will do at least double that." So you're confident that both will sell reach 120 mil in sales? It's a very bold prediction to be honest. I can understand that kind of expectation with a handheld from nintendo but not a home console. Nintendo only managed to break the 100m barrier only once out of six nintendo home consoles. Everyone pretty much assumes it will be a home console. If it turns out to be a hybrid, it will probably have the sales of a handheld if it's sold as one SKU. If nintendo tries to sell a home console and handheld with the same branding but very different capablities hardware wise (as in not being able to play the same games), that's not really a hybrid but two products that share the same branding/marketing. 

30 million for a console.
75 million for a hybrid.