By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Naughty Dog think we are children?

HintHRO said:
crissindahouse said:

I didn't play Uncharted 4 yet and also didn't see much of it but yeah, this kind of stuff annoys me as well in games nowadays. Sometimes you are like "hmm, let's see what is here" and then the damn game just tells you that you are wrong. I mean, common, I will realize that I'm wrong or that I did something wrong and then I simply try the next thing out. That's one of the reasons why I want to play this game, otherwise I can just watch a playthrough of it.

Maybe one of the many reasons why I don't play so much new stuff nowadays and went back to old games or new games which are made like the old ones just with useful improvements. 

Play Dark souls. That game isn't afraid to scare people of with high difficulty and rewards you greatly for exploring every inch of the game. In fact, I played DS3 before purchasing UC4. Maybe the bridge from hardcore to casual is too much for me to handle. 

I wouldnt call Uncharted 4 casual. Its just how games are for the most part these days. Thats why I love the throwback the Souls games offer.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
HintHRO said:

Now an estimated 4 hours into the story, I think it is quite an insultment how incompetent gamers Naughty Dog thinks we are. The game is giving me the most obvious hints all the time even with GAME HINTS TURNED OFF. After so many hours it still says to me with big letters on the screen that I need to cover to recover health, how to progress through the level and that I have to knock-out enemies while in high grass. Despite the linearity of the game, it still says NO YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY. Why is Naughty Dog so afraid to lose players when they have to point things out for themselves to solve puzzels? 

Finally somebody with some common sense!

This is modern gaming and one of the biggest offenders is Naughty Dog who took a classic challenging game, Tomb Raider, and turned it into an interactive movie for children.

Naughty Dog made a new IP unrelated to Tomb Raider. They were not set out to make a new Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider reboot on the other hand was lost on me. Instead of making a new TR that is faithful to the original game with updated mechanics, they made another Uncharted. I liked how the game was telling me that a "secret" Tomb is near me. Well it's not a secret anymore you dumb fucks. 

walsufnir said:
Hynad said:

Beats not having any argument at all.

Oh wait, it's you, in a Sony exclusive game thread.

Nothing we've never seem before.

Although your personal attack adds *nothing* to the actual discussion:

Oh,wait, it's you, quoting me in a Sony exclusive game thread.

Nothing we've never seem before.

It is (again) maybe too much to not pick posts for personal attacks but look at other posts to actually start a discussion with a discussion in mind in the first place.

I didn't see a personnal attack against you in his post... but I sure saw one against ZhudeX calling his idea "genius" with a meaning quite not being that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

So, this is their version of the Zelda sidekick?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

HintHRO said:
Hynad said:

You get a prompt for a hint when you take too much time wandering around or most likely when you die too, but if you don't press the arrow key, the hint isn't given.

So I don't see what the problem is.

Maybe you're simply not so good at playing video games... Because if you do get those hint prompt and complain about it, maybe you are one of those for whom those hints were created for.

I'm at chapter 10 and died 4 times. 3 times because the game gives me the impression I can savely drop to the ground, while in reality it is a deadzone. One time because I screwed up sneaking.

I've been a gamer since the N64 days. The Dark Souls series belong to my favorite games ever. I don't want a game to tell me at chapter 9 that I need to cover when facing enemies. I don't want to get hints to help me through a game which is already too easy. At least give me the option to turn it off.

In real life you don't get hints and dying once is enough... if you die 3 times on the same chapter for the same reason you aren't make yourself a good case.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I mean...the game pops up a promt that you can press to get a hint of you're taking too long...but you don't have to press it haha

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Lrdfancypants said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I've always said Uncharted is padded out by a being a mindless gallery shooter. If anything, Uncharted 4 has improved combat scenes. But they still aren't great and I often just wanna get them over with.

Unfortunately, the game pushes more cinematics than ever. I haven't found the puzzles to be very challenging and few have been fun.

Isn't that the TPS action genre in general?  Many of the ones I've played are very similar in how you've described uncharted. Especially the ones I've played in recent memory. (TR, The Order, UC collection, UC4 and probably others I'm forgetting).  

For me personally, the Uncharted series gunplay just doesn't feel particularly good and the generally limited weapon selection doesn't help. The waves of enemies that come at you in the first three Uncharted games is excessive and the gunplay itself makes it difficult to keep that intersting. Melee felt good in the original three games, but too often it feels like a button mashing fest in UC4 so I don't use it as often.

The gunplay in Gears just feels good, I think the proof of that is how much people love horde mode.

Tomb Raider 2013 and RotTR are very different than Uncharted. More stealth focus, more weapons for different play styles, etc. Having played through RotTR recently, Uncharted 4 feels shallow in comparision.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

walsufnir said:
That is just how gaming works nowadays. Devs and console makers try to have an as broad audience as possible so they try to get as many people as possible to buy consoles and games. Frustrating games can have an audience like the Souls games, of course, but generally games with a mass appeal also are made for the masses.
That said, turning *off* hints and still getting them in a game is dumb. Especially when there are already playthroughs on Youtube and dedicated gaming sites that show you how to do something "tricky".

It's so funny.

I'm replaying Star Wars: Jedi Outcast from 2002 right now on normal difficulty, and it really is significantly harder than a modern game is on "hard". Much harder! Not only is the gunplay really challenging and health is hard to find, but the puzzles - or simply finding your way forward - have forced me to really really concentrate, spend time and look through the areas and think hard unless I want to look up a walkthrough on the internet.

The difference is simply enormous.

These types of games getting over 90% on Metacritic just shows how ridiculous modern gaming is. Making everything mass appeal is such a disgrace. I don't understand how gamers, who often should be quite intelligent and levelheaded people, accept that they turned our hobby into something so unsophisticated and that they're being fooled. And journalists do absolutely nothing to guide their audience regarding this issue, they don't even care to inform us about the massive change historically (often they aren't even aware of it themselves, the gaming industry is that ignorant).

I don't think I have ever missed a jump in an Uncharted game.