By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1080 unveiled; 9 teraflops

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Unfortunately, AMD themselves has said that they aren't targeting the high end market with their upcoming Polaris cards. The 1080 doesn't have competition and the only reason it has that price, it to leave room for the future 1080Ti (whenever it's released).

And no, none of the upcoming Polaris cards will have HBM. The high end Polaris 10 is rumored to have GDDR5X, like the GTX 1080, while the rest will have GDDR5.

Sort-of.
The competition to the Geforce 1080Ti is going to continue to be Fury untill Vega drops late this year or early next year.
Fury is unlikely to win on performance merits alone, so AMD may just discount it's price to stupidly low levels, wouldn't be surprised if the 400 series other than Polaris is entirely just rebadged parts from the last 4-5 years... And when Vega launches AMD rebadges all the current 400 series cards and supplements it with Vega in the high end for the 500 series.

AMD's hands are a little tied at the moment though, they need to follow the plan that was already set in motion, AMD's new GPU plans that they started to organize this year by letting the GPU segment become independent again, probably won't come to fruition for another few years.

I don't think we'll have a 1080Ti until next year, when Nvidia starts shipping its GP100 Tesla cards, and by then AMD should have Vega on the market too.

The way I see this gen, it's going to be something like the Kepler one with the 6x0 series. Nvidia launched the 670 and 680 with a GK104 chip, and then rebranded them as the 760 and 770 once the full chip was ready to be used on the 780, Titan and 780Ti.And so far, rumors talked about 3 GP104 chips, with the biggest one being the GP104-400 with GDDR5X, and we know that that chip is the one inside the 1080.

For AMD, they have Polaris 10 and 11, with each one likely to have 2 versions each, so that's 4 new cards. The question is how will they brand them, and given that we don't know how they perform, that's a hard guess. With their "mainstream" talk, one would guess that they will be the 470-/X and 480-/X.

That goes in line with some rumors that suggest that the big Polaris 10 chip could be the 480X and perform like the 390X, still leaving Fury on top. That would prove that AMD was serious about bringing VR capable cards at a lower price, but I still hope that they are stronger than that and can outperform Fury and be close to the 980Ti/1070 (if this one comes close to that level).

For all I care, they can leave the Radeon Pro Duo at the top with a discount to the $1,000-1,200 range, and move completely to Polaris.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

*Edit*

The news article has been edited and any reference to the leaked benchmarks removed. Also, the video has been deleted.

Still, the 1080 was around 49% faster than the 980Ti.

Some GTX 1080 benchmarks have been leaked (big Ooops!), and it's much faster than a 980Ti at 4K

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 4K Game Performance, GP104-400 Confirmed

http://videocardz.com/59788/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-4k-game-performance-gp104-400-confirmed

Video was posted by someone named Uing07, who apparently is an overclocker sponsored by EVGA (just guessing). His video compares GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 980 Ti running four games in 4K resolution. Unfortunately performance was measured in different scenes, so it is not the best material for comparison (as always). However it should give you some impression about GTX 1080 performance compared to last gen GPU.

The GTX 1080 is most likely overclocked, or it simply boosts to high frequencies, which were not disclosed by the leaker. GTX 980 Ti performance seems to correspond to 4K Ultra benchmarks performed by GamerNexus (Witcher 3/GTA5).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNuS6LI9Hlk (deleted)

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Conina said:
Ruler said:

It seems everything that is above the PS4 in performance has a high end price in PC gaming more and more, this is not how it used to be

All of these are above the PS4 performance (although I wouldn't recommend 2GB models anymore):

In the next months a lot of these cards will get a price cut to clear the shelves or to face the additional competition of the Pascal and Polaris cards.

Used GTX 680, 770, 780, R9 280, 280X, 290, 290X you can get for a small price are also above the PS4 performance.

Same is true for th regular PS4, its allready heavily discounted but when the Neo will come out it will be even more cheaper. We are talking about an entire system not one component 

zero129 said:
Ruler said:

600$? really? Also this thing will cost at least 700€ here in europe. I feel like PC gaming isnt afrordable anymore, i remember when you could have a GTX 280 for something like 300-350€, not 600€. 

not the games tough, you cant have any more jumps than Driveclub, FF15, U4 or Bloodborne

Ok so you think PC = Expensive over 1 GPU that costs 600 and is over 7 times more powerful then the PS4 alone...

You do know someone doesnt need to spend this kind of money to beat PS4 performance and to have great PC graphics right??.

Like my 280X shits all over the PS4 and yet it only costs like €120-160 now to buy now. And thats just one example so lets not try making this into something its not....

And another thing you seemed to of left out is the 1070. Its also running at something like 6.5T and has 8GB GDDR5 ram (Not the X version like the 1080 but still) And it costs under 400€, and you know some oems will end up including bundled games with them making the cost even cheaper if you dont already own them games.

So for a person like me who already owns a PC, it will only cost me around 400 at the end of this year to have a system that will also be much more powerful then the PS4K....

So yes the cost of building a new PC from scratch if you wanted one that would shit all over the consoles completly and do real 4k gaming would be pretty expensive (But then im sure the is people like you who would pay 1000€ for an upgraded PS4 if it had this power in it). But if your only upgrading (Like many pc gamer) the cost is not that expensive. And also if you just wanted to build a pc that was better then the consoles that wouldnt cost you that much as building a top of the line gaming pc.

Think of it like this. You can buy a cheap run around car like a fiet Punto (PS4,PC low end) for €300-400, or you can buy a more expensive fast car like toyota supra for €400-600(Ps4K, PC mid end) or you can buy a high powed F1 racing car €1000 - Whatever you want to spend (PC high end), Thats full builds. Clearly a person upgrading the cost is a lot lower for going high end.

its not 7 times more powerfull than a PS4 i can gureentee you that. This card wont run current AAA in 4K 60fps. 4K is almost 4 times the resolution size of 1080p not 7 times.

The R280x gives you a barley more performance than a PS4 

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131688&d=1383230180

The PS4 alone can be bought used for 160€

sc94597 said:
Ruler said:

It seems everything that is above the PS4 in performance has a high end price in PC gaming more and more, this is not how it used to be

The PS4's GPU is comparable to a r9 270/HD 7850. There are literally dozens of cards more powerful than it, but less than $300.

Here is a $150 GPU that matches the PS4.

https://jet.com/product/detail/7eed89cc1ebc42b69e4eaba0a1657aea?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_electronics_a1:electronics_accessories_cables_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=gen_electronics_a1&ds_cid&ds_ag=electronics_accessories_cables_a1_other&product_id=7eed89cc1ebc42b69e4eaba0a1657aea&product_partition_id=161710082700&gclid=CjwKEAjwpLa5BRCTwcXS6_rpvC4SJACTDQMMmHZ1LKdCnC-hWqYVNjyT2xXz4zeVnjnXo6J41oBvHBoCBj_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

curl-6 said:
Ruler said:

You can get a PS4-beating GPU for less than 250 Euros. That's not high end.

you can get a PS4 for those prices not just a component

SpokenTruth said:
Ruler said:

And since when has Nvidia locked their top of the line gaming graphicscards behind 1000-2000$ like they do now for the titans? The GTX290 cost only something like 500€ back then.

And its not just graphicscards, but cpus too. I remember when i bought my original core i7 920 for ~400€ in 2009-2010. 6 years later they still charge the same for a slightier better core i7.

All these prices today are a rip off, it shows that pc gaming isnt affordable anymore because AMD cant compete. The PS4K is now a better alternative than pc gaming, and a better competion than AMD is to Nvidia and Intel in the PC space.

Do you mean the GTX 295?  I don't think they had a GTX 290. But you are correct about the price of the top of the line cards having gone way up since those days.  I remember thinking my AT X1950 XTX was insanely expensive at $450.  But it wasn't long after that that nVidia released the GeForce 8800 Ultra for $830. Even their 7950 GX2 back in 2006 released at $650.  The GTX 2xx, 4xx and 5xx series were pretty cheap compared to the previous high ends.  It was the GTX 690 that took it to $999 at launch.

However, the Intel Core i7-920 was the entry level i7 at the time for about $280.   Today's entry level i7, the 6700T for $303, absolutely crushes it.   I don't think you can call a 3D mark CPU score of 9480 as being only slightly better than the 920's 5280.   Don't forget a difference in power of 35 watts (6700T) against 130 watts (920).  And that doesn't even factor in the built in GPU.

it was a lot more than 280$ when it launched. The core i7 920 is still a good processor even in 2016  and sadley beats everything from AMD to this day, it has turbo mode, 8 threads and the other stuff.

And in fact it even has tripple channel ram, a technology which is supirior than the dual channel ram of the intel processors of today.

How is it that the corei7 series increased in price instead dropped? Sure they updated it making it stronger and more efficient but i would have imagined you could get intel processor with 6 or 8 cores as the low budget entry 7 years later. But instead everything is stagneting 

Chazore said:
Ruler said:

All these prices today are a rip off, it shows that pc gaming isnt affordable anymore because AMD cant compete. The PS4K is now a better alternative than pc gaming, and a better competion than AMD is to Nvidia and Intel in the PC space.

So you're basically saying "screw PC gaming" due to the price point of a line of brand new GPU's from one side and comparing it directly to a console?. Didn't you leave PC gaming a few years back for various reasons?, why would this bother you at all because as far as things go you;ve been for consoles since the time I joined back in 2014.

i still care about fairness and compettion in any market as a consumer chazore. I do a lot of other things on my PC than just gaming, the prices for the good performing CPUs are a ripp off 

If it's not at least 30% stronger in 1440p I don't care.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
curl-6 said:

You can get a PS4-beating GPU for less than 250 Euros. That's not high end.

you can get a PS4 for those prices not just a component

Well, if we're allowing for used prices, then you can pick up a second hand GPU that beats PS4 at way below that price range also.

If you already have a halfway decent PC, (and if you're a PC gamer, you probably do) all you need is the video card. Gaming at better than PS4 spec does not require expensive hardware.

Looking forward to the price drops for the previous generation lol... Currently using the 950, the 980 and Titan should drop now. Either would be sufficient for VR.

I'm also considering just getting another 950 and doing the whole SLI thing. Anyone ever try that out?

Pemalite said:
Zappykins said:

I would hope they go better than 5 Tflops for next get.  Devs wanted 2.5 for this gen.  Just doubling it isn't that much of a step at all. I would rather see something at least like last gen 6-10 times more powerful.

It's an effect of dimishing returns.  you really need to double the power to see much of a differnce.  5 Tflops would be better, sure, but not really that noticible over current gen IMO.

It it was that big, they why would anyone game on anything but a PC?

You can have 1000 Petaflops of single precision floating point performance... But if you take a GPU with 10 Teraflops, but with more rops, texture mapping units, geometry engines, efficiency gains from the likes of better caching, prediction and compression... And bundle it with orders-of-magnitude more bandwidth. The 10 Teraflop GPU will win every time.
The only time flops can really be used as a "Performance gauge" is if all other things are equal, it seems this forum seems to cling to it though despite the fact even though it is highly inaccurate.

Case in point: Radeon 5870.
Even though the Radeon 5870 has 2.72 Teraflops of performance, majority of games it will loose against the Radeon 6950 at 2.253 Teraflops and the Radeon 6970 at 2.703 Teraflops (Usually by a healthy margin). And will even loose against the Radeon 7850 at 1.761 Teraflops, Radeon R7 265 at 1,843 Teraflops and so on.
The Radeon 270X will more than double the Radeon 5870's performance despite having 2.688 Teraflops verses the Radeon 5870's 2.72 Teraflops.

Graphics is more than just single precision floating point.

I'm not exactly sure what you were refering too.  I was saying I hope next gen's concoles GPU's were more powerful than 5 Tflops. 

Yes, you are correct, it's more complicated than simple, "This is 4 Tflopes, and that is only 3.4!"  So this one is 60% better (cause 4-3.4=.6 .6 = 60%!!!)

Plus, your CPU and how they talk to each other is imporant too. 

So what do you think 'next gens' GPU's should be?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

I too hope AMD releases a competitive product. My current build is running tri fury x's and is a black case with Red LEDs and Water Cooling. I really dont wanna change the color scheme and for that I hope Vega is competitive with the 1080ti/ Pascal Titan. If not then AMD can kiss my business goodbye. Ive stuck with them with GPUs throughout the years 1950xtx - 2900XTX - Dual 4890s to dual 5870s - Dual 7970 GHz Editions - Tri Fury Xs. I really want to keep supporting them because in the past theyve always had very similiar performance but Im not going to compromise anymore. I dont spend $2000 in GPUs to play second fiddle anymore.

For now i am set. 3 Fury X's have plenty of horsepower for next gen games but im not sure how much longer i can ignore the itch to upgrade if it comes out. Hell im tempted to buy 3 of these 1080s but I know the Titan/1080ti are coming so i dont want to get stuck with a lesser GPU.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

when will we see AMD's equivalent?