By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1080 unveiled; 9 teraflops

1337 Gamer said:
I too hope AMD releases a competitive product. My current build is running tri fury x's and is a black case with Red LEDs and Water Cooling. I really dont wanna change the color scheme and for that I hope Vega is competitive with the 1080ti/ Pascal Titan. If not then AMD can kiss my business goodbye. Ive stuck with them with GPUs throughout the years 1950xtx - 2900XTX - Dual 4890s to dual 5870s - Dual 7970 GHz Editions - Tri Fury Xs. I really want to keep supporting them because in the past theyve always had very similiar performance but Im not going to compromise anymore. I dont spend $2000 in GPUs to play second fiddle anymore.

For now i am set. 3 Fury X's have plenty of horsepower for next gen games but im not sure how much longer i can ignore the itch to upgrade if it comes out. Hell im tempted to buy 3 of these 1080s but I know the Titan/1080ti are coming so i dont want to get stuck with a lesser GPU.

I'm surprised you didn't buy 980 TI's instead of Fury X's when you have an Intel processor ... 

Kinda breaks the whole "you only buy the best" motto, doesn't it ? 

Around the Network

woops double post

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

fatslob-:O said:
1337 Gamer said:
I too hope AMD releases a competitive product. My current build is running tri fury x's and is a black case with Red LEDs and Water Cooling. I really dont wanna change the color scheme and for that I hope Vega is competitive with the 1080ti/ Pascal Titan. If not then AMD can kiss my business goodbye. Ive stuck with them with GPUs throughout the years 1950xtx - 2900XTX - Dual 4890s to dual 5870s - Dual 7970 GHz Editions - Tri Fury Xs. I really want to keep supporting them because in the past theyve always had very similiar performance but Im not going to compromise anymore. I dont spend $2000 in GPUs to play second fiddle anymore.

For now i am set. 3 Fury X's have plenty of horsepower for next gen games but im not sure how much longer i can ignore the itch to upgrade if it comes out. Hell im tempted to buy 3 of these 1080s but I know the Titan/1080ti are coming so i dont want to get stuck with a lesser GPU.

I'm surprised you didn't buy 980 TI's instead of Fury X's when you have an Intel processor ... 

Kinda breaks the whole "you only buy the best" motto, doesn't it ? 

Yeah well the Fury Xs in Tri SLI mode at 4k are better than the 980 TIs. I really dont regret buying the Fury Xs because they really are good cards but the 4 GB memory has me worried about the future. And as i said i do like to support the underdog as much as possible and the scaling on the Fury Xs for crossifre and at 4k is quite good. So i didnt break my "always buy the best" mentality haha.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

1337 Gamer said:

Yeah well the Fury Xs in Tri SLI mode at 4k are better than the 980 TIs. I really dont regret buying the Fury Xs because they really are good cards but the 4 GB memory has me worried about the future. And as i said i do like to support the underdog as much as possible and the scaling on the Fury Xs for crossifre and at 4k is quite good. So i didnt break my "always buy the best" mentality haha.

LOL, can't deny that how good 3-way scaling is for AMD but I wish their driver team were faster at making games support crossfire ... 

Zappykins said:
Pemalite said:

You can have 1000 Petaflops of single precision floating point performance... But if you take a GPU with 10 Teraflops, but with more rops, texture mapping units, geometry engines, efficiency gains from the likes of better caching, prediction and compression... And bundle it with orders-of-magnitude more bandwidth. The 10 Teraflop GPU will win every time.
The only time flops can really be used as a "Performance gauge" is if all other things are equal, it seems this forum seems to cling to it though despite the fact even though it is highly inaccurate.

Case in point: Radeon 5870.
Even though the Radeon 5870 has 2.72 Teraflops of performance, majority of games it will loose against the Radeon 6950 at 2.253 Teraflops and the Radeon 6970 at 2.703 Teraflops (Usually by a healthy margin). And will even loose against the Radeon 7850 at 1.761 Teraflops, Radeon R7 265 at 1,843 Teraflops and so on.
The Radeon 270X will more than double the Radeon 5870's performance despite having 2.688 Teraflops verses the Radeon 5870's 2.72 Teraflops.

Graphics is more than just single precision floating point.

I'm not exactly sure what you were refering too.  I was saying I hope next gen's concoles GPU's were more powerful than 5 Tflops. 

Yes, you are correct, it's more complicated than simple, "This is 4 Tflopes, and that is only 3.4!"  So this one is 60% better (cause 4-3.4=.6 .6 = 60%!!!)

Plus, your CPU and how they talk to each other is imporant too. 

So what do you think 'next gens' GPU's should be?

I am refering to your blatant mis-use of "Teraflops" as some kind of denominator for comparing performance.

Ruler said:

it was a lot more than 280$ when it launched. The core i7 920 is still a good processor even in 2016  and sadley beats everything from AMD to this day, it has turbo mode, 8 threads and the other stuff.

And in fact it even has tripple channel ram, a technology which is supirior than the dual channel ram of the intel processors of today.

How is it that the corei7 series increased in price instead dropped? Sure they updated it making it stronger and more efficient but i would have imagined you could get intel processor with 6 or 8 cores as the low budget entry 7 years later. But instead everything is stagneting 

1) It doesn't beat everything AMD has.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=47
But it certainly is good enough at a decent enough TDP.

2) The number of memory channels isn't really a massive changer in terms of CPU performance. I know this because I can do both Dual-channel and Quad-Channel in my PC, for gaming, the difference is neglible to non-existent, unless we start talking about integrated graphics. (Which aren't available anyway.)

3) The Bulk price of the Core i7 920 on launch was about $280. - Most OEM retailers though at the time had their own markup and it often sat around $350. But you could find cheaper.

4) Reason for the higher increase is because of lack of competition, Intel's market is in decline, which means Intel needs to increase the price in order to conserve profit, R&D has also increase.

Ruler said:

its not 7 times more powerfull than a PS4 i can gureentee you that. This card wont run current AAA in 4K 60fps. 4K is almost 4 times the resolution size of 1080p not 7 times.

The R280x gives you a barley more performance than a PS4 

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131688&d=1383230180

The PS4 alone can be bought used for 160€

Try to use Anandtech above all else, they have a better track record for accuracy and reliability.

But to say that a Radeon 280X is barely an improvement over the PS4 is a big big big big big big stretch, you are getting anywhere from 40-70% more performance, almost double the performance if something is single precision compute heavy.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1076?vs=1041

In Australia a second hand PS4 can be bought used for about $350 - $400, you could buy a second hand Radeon 7950 off ebay for about $200-$250 AUD, that wipes the floor with the PS4, graphically.
For about $50-$100 you could pick up a Nahelem or Phenom 2 quad-core PC complete, second hand... Or free if you scavange around computer stores or recyclers for components.

And whoops. There it is. A PC faster than a PS4, plays games better than a PS4 at the same/cheaper price.

On top of that you have cheaper accessories, cheaper games, free online, so it also pays for itself over the long term.
I have saved thousands over the past generation on games alone.

1337 Gamer said:

LOL, can't deny that how good 3-way scaling is for AMD but I wish their driver team were faster at making games support crossfire ... 

Yeah. AMD has had the edge in terms of performance scaling. Just a shame the drivers aren't updated fast enough, it's their archillies heel.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Livewire said:
when will we see AMD's equivalent?

Rumors say that AMD will have an event to announce Polaris at the end of this month, right before Computex, but when they'll launch is still unknown.

http://videocardz.com/59753/amd-polaris-launch-end-of-may

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Pemalite said:
Zappykins said:

I'm not exactly sure what you were refering too.  I was saying I hope next gen's concoles GPU's were more powerful than 5 Tflops. 

Yes, you are correct, it's more complicated than simple, "This is 4 Tflopes, and that is only 3.4!"  So this one is 60% better (cause 4-3.4=.6 .6 = 60%!!!)

Plus, your CPU and how they talk to each other is imporant too. 

So what do you think 'next gens' GPU's should be?

I am refering to your blatant mis-use of "Teraflops" as some kind of denominator for comparing performance.

Ruler said:

it was a lot more than 280$ when it launched. The core i7 920 is still a good processor even in 2016  and sadley beats everything from AMD to this day, it has turbo mode, 8 threads and the other stuff.

And in fact it even has tripple channel ram, a technology which is supirior than the dual channel ram of the intel processors of today.

How is it that the corei7 series increased in price instead dropped? Sure they updated it making it stronger and more efficient but i would have imagined you could get intel processor with 6 or 8 cores as the low budget entry 7 years later. But instead everything is stagneting 

1) It doesn't beat everything AMD has.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=47
But it certainly is good enough at a decent enough TDP.

2) The number of memory channels isn't really a massive changer in terms of CPU performance. I know this because I can do both Dual-channel and Quad-Channel in my PC, for gaming, the difference is neglible to non-existent, unless we start talking about integrated graphics. (Which aren't available anyway.)

3) The Bulk price of the Core i7 920 on launch was about $280. - Most OEM retailers though at the time had their own markup and it often sat around $350. But you could find cheaper.

4) Reason for the higher increase is because of lack of competition, Intel's market is in decline, which means Intel needs to increase the price in order to conserve profit, R&D has also increase.

Ruler said:

its not 7 times more powerfull than a PS4 i can gureentee you that. This card wont run current AAA in 4K 60fps. 4K is almost 4 times the resolution size of 1080p not 7 times.

The R280x gives you a barley more performance than a PS4 

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131688&d=1383230180

The PS4 alone can be bought used for 160€

Try to use Anandtech above all else, they have a better track record for accuracy and reliability.

But to say that a Radeon 280X is barely an improvement over the PS4 is a big big big big big big stretch, you are getting anywhere from 40-70% more performance, almost double the performance if something is single precision compute heavy.
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1076?vs=1041

In Australia a second hand PS4 can be bought used for about $350 - $400, you could buy a second hand Radeon 7950 off ebay for about $200-$250 AUD, that wipes the floor with the PS4, graphically.
For about $50-$100 you could pick up a Nahelem or Phenom 2 quad-core PC complete, second hand... Or free if you scavange around computer stores or recyclers for components.

And whoops. There it is. A PC faster than a PS4, plays games better than a PS4 at the same/cheaper price.

On top of that you have cheaper accessories, cheaper games, free online, so it also pays for itself over the long term.
I have saved thousands over the past generation on games alone.

Yeah. AMD has had the edge in terms of performance scaling. Just a shame the drivers aren't updated fast enough, it's their archillies heel.

A-fucking-men. So tired of the lazy sli and crossfire drivers recently. Most games just straight up don't support it or its buggy as hell atbest. I don't know why but it seems like multi Gpu support is going backwards and not forwards the past year or so.

1337 Gamer said:

A-fucking-men. So tired of the lazy sli and crossfire drivers recently. Most games just straight up don't support it or its buggy as hell atbest. I don't know why but it seems like multi Gpu support is going backwards and not forwards the past year or so.

It has been going backwards, I think AMD just don't have the resources at the moment, they are busy re-organizing their GPU, CPU and APU teams, building Zen, Polaris, Vega, Navi plus new chipsets. (Please don't be rebadge 900 series which were rebadged 800 series which were rebadged 700 chipset series, AMD!)

Although, the need for Tri-Crossfire to remove micro stutter is no longer needed thanks to Driver Improvements, took AMD over a decade and it was thanks to nVidia and an Enthusiast website to point it out.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
1337 Gamer said:

It has been going backwards, I think AMD just don't have the resources at the moment, they are busy re-organizing their GPU, CPU and APU teams, building Zen, Polaris, Vega, Navi plus new chipsets. (Please don't be rebadge 900 series which were rebadged 800 series which were rebadged 700 chipset series, AMD!)

Although, the need for Tri-Crossfire to remove micro stutter is no longer needed thanks to Driver Improvements, took AMD over a decade and it was thanks to nVidia and an Enthusiast website to point it out.

Thing is though its not just AMD that is sucking up the drivers for multi gpu scaling lately. I have friends that have SLI rigs and few games if any lately have supported it. I mean i know there has been a dearth of games that actually push hardware enough to need more than one high end GPU without 4k but for those of us that have taken that step it sure is annoying to not be able to use multi gpu setups because AMD and Nvidia have been lazy on the driver front.

Pemalite said:

It's too bad Nvidia will be removing 3/4-way SLI support on their upcoming GPUs ... 

I wonder if you can bypass that with DX12 multiadapter API or is that supposed to be handled in the drivers ?