By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - My problems with Civil War

d21lewis said:
Two things:
1. where was Nick Fury and S.H.I.E
L.D. during all of this?

2. How in the hell did Zemo know everything about everything? I need to watch this one, again.

*bonus* Ant Man changes size but stays the same weight and density. Wouldn't he be 200 pounds?

1.  There really hasn't been much of a shield to speak of since Winter Soldier.  They showed up in Ultron, but it's a much smaller operation.  I don't watch Agents of Shield, but I'm not sure how much they would be able to or want to get involved in this.

2.  Natasha leaked Hydra's files as a way of giving the information to the public, so they'd know about the corruption involved.  Most of it was encrypted, but Zemo was able to access a lot of it.

3.  I'm really not sure if you're right about ant man's weight and density.  He regularly rode ants in the movie, so he couldn't have been the weight of a normal man.

We don't actually know if his giant ability functions the same way as his shrinking.  We'll probably get a pseudo science explanation in the next ant man movie.

Around the Network
Uabit said:
>MCU belongs to Disney
>You expected some "consequence"

Obviously with disney everything ends well and no one dies :)

Obviously you've never seen Bambi and The Liong King.  Disney fucked up my chilhood.

My biggest problems with the movie were Iron Man, he's just an unlikeable asswhole now, and the fact that this is Avengers 3.

I'm now filled with determination.

d21lewis said:
*bonus* Ant Man changes size but stays the same weight and density. Wouldn't he be 200 pounds?
JWeinCom said:

3.  I'm really not sure if you're right about ant man's weight and density.  He regularly rode ants in the movie, so he couldn't have been the weight of a normal man.

A lot of the science in Ant-man was alway odd, he can shrink, punch as hard as a normal man due to the density thing, stand on ants etc yet when the Thomas the Tank Engine goes massive it blasts through a wall and digs into the ground. It would have weighed 50grams. :P

Hmm, pie.

Only character that should have died was Zemo. I'm not a huge Panther fan, but he was a prominent part of New Avengers and Secret Wars, so I'm a bit familiar... and that dude holds grudges man.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Only character that should have died was Zemo. I'm not a huge Panther fan, but he was a prominent part of New Avengers and Secret Wars, so I'm a bit familiar... and that dude holds grudges man.

He didn't actually kill the man who killed his father, he didn't even allow him to put a bullet in his own head.

One thing to consider though before you attack Civil War for not having enough meaningful plot, there was how many characters on screen? Cap, Stank, Witch, Falcon, Vision, Parker, Hawk Eye, Romanov, Bucky, War Machine, Panther, Ant Man .... eeerrr... I could have missed one but yeah, you got basically 12 (or more) main characters, all of whom got their own portion of screentime (holy fuck at some of Romanov's Wrestling moves, I was on the edge of my seat for those takedowns) I mean the movie was little over 2 hours which basically allows 10minutes per character on screen if you allow no one outside the "Good Guys" but they managed to do it, and not even feel like it was being squashed in at all....

Now think back to Batman V Superman... we got closer to 3 hours, 8 mins or so of them actually duking it out, 20+ pointless flash backs and dream sequences, Wonder Woman .... was there at times for posing, Lous Lane was there... when the plot needed there to be a danger element for Superman, I mean so much time was blown with pointless comic book shots of superman flying over people and posing that even Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash were jammed into less than a minute each, if Justice league would ever have the same number of heroes as was featured in Civil war we can expect a movie with a runtime in days... not hours.

I fucking loved Civil war... can't say much more than that, oh! and in terms of the Cinema reaction to Civil war, there was a whole family to the right of us there, like... a movie you can take kids to while still having amazing action for adults +bonus points right there, can't imagine any kids enjoying BvS, humourless and pointless scenes would never keep the younglings interested.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
JWeinCom said:

He didn't actually kill the man who killed his father, he didn't even allow him to put a bullet in his own head.

One thing to consider though before you attack Civil War for not having enough meaningful plot, there was how many characters on screen? Cap, Stank, Witch, Falcon, Vision, Parker, Hawk Eye, Romanov, Bucky, War Machine, Panther, Ant Man .... eeerrr... I could have missed one but yeah, you got basically 12 (or more) main characters, all of whom got their own portion of screentime (holy fuck at some of Romanov's Wrestling moves, I was on the edge of my seat for those takedowns) I mean the movie was little over 2 hours which basically allows 10minutes per character on screen if you allow no one outside the "Good Guys" but they managed to do it, and not even feel like it was being squashed in at all....

Now think back to Batman V Superman... we got closer to 3 hours, 8 mins or so of them actually duking it out, 20+ pointless flash backs and dream sequences, Wonder Woman .... was there at times for posing, Lous Lane was there... when the plot needed there to be a danger element for Superman, I mean so much time was blown with pointless comic book shots of superman flying over people and posing that even Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash were jammed into less than a minute each, if Justice league would ever have the same number of heroes as was featured in Civil war we can expect a movie with a runtime in days... not hours.

I fucking loved Civil war... can't say much more than that, oh! and in terms of the Cinema reaction to Civil war, there was a whole family to the right of us there, like... a movie you can take kids to while still having amazing action for adults +bonus points right there, can't imagine any kids enjoying BvS, humourless and pointless scenes would never keep the younglings interested.

"He didn't actually kill the man who killed his father, he didn't even allow him to put a bullet in his own head."

Which was my problem.  It's fine within the context of the movie, but in the comics he's not like that.  In the comics, Wakanda is very advanced but also very tribalistic.  If you kill a dude's father, they'd be pretty much honor bound to return the favor.  *Spoilers* A major plot point from New Avengers and Secret Wars is Panther seeking revenge on Namor, even as the world is literally collapsing around them. 

It's not a big complaint, but it bugged me a little.

I'm assuming the rest of that post wasn't for me...

JWeinCom said:
Ganoncrotch said:

"He didn't actually kill the man who killed his father, he didn't even allow him to put a bullet in his own head."

Which was my problem.  It's fine within the context of the movie, but in the comics he's not like that.  In the comics, Wakanda is very advanced but also very tribalistic.  If you kill a dude's father, they'd be pretty much honor bound to return the favor.  *Spoilers* A major plot point from New Avengers and Secret Wars is Panther seeking revenge on Namor, even as the world is literally collapsing around them. 

More or less, me just fangirling about how good I thought Civil War was.

Appreciate you not liking the move away from his comic character, I'm not a huge comic fan but have massively enjoyed the cinematic universe they've created, I guess it's best to just sit back and enjoy it while critiqueing the differences between the 2, if I'm not mistaken wasn't Cap actually killed in the comic version of Civil War? or at least... left earth for a while or something, I'm not sure, just heard people QQ that it wasn't shot for shot like the comic books said it would be.

Sometimes a film not just recreating panels from a comic book ends up with a far better thing to watch for the audience though, and I feel that Civil war did just that.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
JWeinCom said:

More or less, me just fangirling about how good I thought Civil War was.

Appreciate you not liking the move away from his comic character, I'm not a huge comic fan but have massively enjoyed the cinematic universe they've created, I guess it's best to just sit back and enjoy it while critiqueing the differences between the 2, if I'm not mistaken wasn't Cap actually killed in the comic version of Civil War? or at least... left earth for a while or something, I'm not sure, just heard people QQ that it wasn't shot for shot like the comic books said it would be.

Sometimes a film not just recreating panels from a comic book ends up with a far better thing to watch for the audience though, and I feel that Civil war did just that.

It's not about recreating panels, it's more about staying true to the characters.  It's a minor complaint, cause they did Black Panther well otherwise, but I was slightly annoyed by it.

As for Civil War *spoilers* Cap was shot afterwards while he was in custody.  Of course he was saved by comic magic.

Ganoncrotch said:
JWeinCom said:

BvS and Civil war are practically the exact same run time.

Like a 5 minute difference