By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - who else thinks this is the best generation for video games?

I'm still waiting for a Chrono Trigger Remake and Baldur's Gate 3....

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

This gen is by far the best I think. As a long time Sony gamer (haven't looked back since the PS1), this generation is tits and beyond :) The consoles have insane amounts of flexibility and purpose.

Online gaming is becoming mainstream for consoles, the ability to pick up my controller and play with any person around the world is just cool ^^

The graphics are just insane! I'm seeing creative freedom that I wouldn't imagine possible. You can take one look at the lush environments in Crysis or Uncharted and just feel so connected to the digital world. And on the other end of the spectrum, you have games like Ratchet and Clank futures which can just put you at the edge of total creative freedom as far as graphics are concerned and really makes you wonder if it gets any better.

For us audio fans :D 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed greatness is FANTASTIC. Playing games like bioshock or condemned get COMPLETELY overhauled thanks to the fantastic surround sound. Not just those two in fact, shooters, action games, hell almost every genre benefits from fantastic sound. This generation is EPIC!

Casual Gaming not only for casuals now. A strange boat I'd find myself in for the previous generations is that I enjoy playing casual games, but I just can't bring myself to purchase them at full price (I love you to death melee but thank god someone else bought you :x ). With additions like PSN, XBL, and Wiiware, I can get my casual fix (pain, everyday shooter, superstardust, PJM etc etc) for a fraction of what I'd pay for a "fully fleshed out title." It's been absolutely amazing that I can get my fix on something that doesn't require me to dedicate my time to justify a purchase. Casual gaming has never been so great for me :)

This generation is just getting started and I'm already head over heels in love ^^ I'm so much more compelled to pick up so many different games, and the functionality is just un-comparable :) My $500 purchase has done more for me than any other entertainment device I think I've ever picked up ^^ and they just keep making the damn thing better!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I thought it was but that could only be because I started going to gaming sites and have become alot more aware of almost every game being made for my console of choice. Where before I never visited online game sites or talked about console sales and really had no idea what games were releasing when. I just picked up whatever in the store that caught my eye or if I saw something interesting in a gamepro that I skimmed. I do enjoy the upgrade in graphics for this gen though.

I think this gen is the best yet. BUt this and the one before it was the only ones I experienced.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

Nope. It's still way too early. There haven't even been those great legendary games yet. Nothing has been original this gen. It's either a sequel to this or that.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network
XGamer0611 said:
Nope. It's still way too early. There haven't even been those great legendary games yet. Nothing has been original this gen. It's either a sequel to this or that.

Right. Portal, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Viva Pinata, Puzzle Quest... they're all just rip-offs of old games. Nope, nothing original there at all.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
XGamer0611 said:

Right. Portal, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Viva Pinata, Puzzle Quest... they're all just rip-offs of old games. Nope, nothing original there at all.

I didn't mean there was nothing original but most of the games this gen have been sequels. And the few Originals that have been released haven't been great.

Bioshock was great and original. Super Mario Galaxy was good but features Mario who is an old character. Zack & Wiki is cool but not earth shattering. No More Heroes and the rest are original.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Of course, just because the CHARACTER is the same, that OOOOBVIOUSLY means that game itself is also totally unoriginal, merely by association.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I think that this Gen will be remembered as the last traditional generation of videogames. Next-gen we will expansion on what the Wii started. But yes, this gen is kicking the last 2 in the rear. 3 consoles all selling great, plenty of new IP's. Complete gameplay innovations on the Wii. And best yet, Nintendo's return to dominance.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I still liked last gen better, but this one is pretty good so far. When I get my Pikmin Sequel I'll consider this the best.

I WANT PIKMIN DAMN IT!!!

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits