By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - who else thinks this is the best generation for video games?

Renna said:
As a die hard Nintendo fan I'd have to say it's far from the best. Nintendo has decided to ignore gamers like myself quite often and it shows. The N64 gen is my favorite. Nintendo was at the top of their game and they just made so many classic titles. Rare as well.

Really?  What about Zelda Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and all the classics on Virtual Console?  How is that ignoring the die hard fans?

Don't worry, more "upper tier games" are coming.  Check out the link: http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Renna said:
As a die hard Nintendo fan I'd have to say it's far from the best. Nintendo has decided to ignore gamers like myself quite often and it shows. The N64 gen is my favorite. Nintendo was at the top of their game and they just made so many classic titles. Rare as well.

Really?  What about Zelda Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and all the classics on Virtual Console?  How is that ignoring the die hard fans?

Don't worry, more "upper tier games" are coming.  Check out the link: http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

while I do agree about TP, Metroid, Galaxy, and Brawl. you can't really call the classics on the virtual console this generation, that's the whole classic thing. 'cause I think he's talking about new games^^; anyway I enjoyed the games you listed, but they just don't seem to match up to the past generations.

The Mother 3 Fan Translation is done! Everyone go get it right now! (Mother3.fobby.net)

Play Earthbound for the SNES ; ; Do it, it's awesome!

Proud participater of this year's Wii Secret Santa event! Hopefully you'll join the merriment next year!
Link below because I fail at embedding urls.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51169&page=1

Its pretty good in my opnion, what with games like SMG, SSBB and Animal Crossing Wii

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Without the Wii it would be no different from the last generation.

As for the best generation, nah, I dont' think you can beat the feeling of being there at the begining and plugging one of the early consoles into your TV or walking into the arcades in the 80s and playing genuinly new and exciting games, such as the first multiplayer games (bubble bobble / gauntlet), games with add on imitation weapons (crossbow / operation wolf) or games with other imitation consrols (paperboy handlebars / outrun stearing wheel).

The games of today may seem new and exciting to someone in their teens or an older person just getting into them but really we are playing the same games that have been around or years.

metra said:
Reasonable said:
If you judge each gen by market growth then sure, this gen is the best as its the biggest essentally (so far anyway).

I think though that we've seen sacrifices regarding new IP and innovation vs profit.

I haven't really seen a single game yet on PS3 / 360 / Wii that makes me think wow, what a work of genius.

Of course, what are now seen as works of genius (Ico, System Shock, Grim Fandango, etc) all sold poorly vs more average but accessible games - so I guess we only have ourselves to blame.

Still, I do think that there is a nice level of overall quality to most decent games now - and the future should be rosy considering the differnet possibilities offered by each of the three consoles.

dunno about you but cod4 and uncharted made me wow beyond belief i never had so much fun

They're both great games - played COD$ online yesterday and re-played some bits of Uncharted for fun... but they are more polished iterations of something I've already played (particulalry COD4) rather than something that felt totally new.  Of course part of this is my age - I've been gaming a loooonnnnggggg time (actually that sounds too long, make that loonngggg instead) so I've seen and played most 'earlier' versions of the best games of today.

Ironcially Patapon and Locoroc are two of the most original games I've come across so far this generation (and they're on the PSP, which is the ironic bit!).  However I think with Wii and games like LBP on the horizon, plus features of Live this gen could end up the best in the end - the tools and infrastructure is there, its down to the games developers now.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

The competition between Sony and Microsoft has helped for alot of great titles to be born. Even if PS3's are yet to come. The only thing I would say is I'd like to see more new IP's on PS3. 360 is getting alot, and the majority have been above average. Let's hope Sony release more than sequels. C'mon Sony. PS2 had loads of new IP's.

I think it is the best generation for console games. Because PS3 and 360 finally get most of the titles that have been on PC historically. Console gaming finally grew up this generation. When I got a PS2 to play GoW I was pretty surprised how few PS2 games were good. This has and will be changed this generation.

I'd say that the best generation was the last one. The PS2 generation was basically an evolution of the 3D games of the PS1 generation - the same games, except they don't look and sound like ass. And, in my book, that's a very good thing. In the PS2 generation we saw the maturation of 3D, voice acting, CD-quality music, and analog-stick gameplay beyond gimmicks, as well as the introduction of 16:9 and 480p, which will undoubtedly help that gen age better than any previous to it. Plus, there's the games, which have never been better.

This gen definitely has the potential to surpass that, though, and barring a new video game industry crash, it almost certainly will by generation's end. As Frank Sinatra said, "the best is yet to come."

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Nothing can compare to the power of the SNES. I just wish Nintendo used the SNES to take on the PS1.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

to date i have to say it not yet....SNES / SEGA was the best so far but this gen is still early and probably will be able to take the thrown....at least until we get to a HD version of the wii and what ever sony and micro can throw out as well---now that will be gaming greatness