By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the closest you ever came to dying?

I nearly drowned in a swimming pool, but a random help me get out. Thanks Mate!

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

I touched a life current rod once while standing on a grounded surface. Luckily didn't cramp or I would not be here to tell.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

As a junior in college, we had a river close by where people like to go jump in since it was surrounded by concrete walls like a canal since it went through the city. One day, I went with my friends to eat and relax and I jumped into the river by one of the corners of the canal. The previous night it had rained a lot so on this day the current was really strong. After I jumped in and went into the water I could not swim up to get out because the current was keeping me below the water. I started freaking out but remembered that the walls usually had ladders in certain parts of the wall so I just follow the wall until I found one and pulled myself out of the water. I didn't think I was going to make it out alive!

When I was in 10th grade, we were in the middle of a pretty severe El Nino and I remember it raining all day long while at school one day. Well unfortunately for me, I had to walk over a mile home through the desert. Only after raining all day, it was more like a swamp than a desert, and the normally dry creek I had to cross to get home was a raging torrent of waist high water. So dumb 10th grade me decides to try and cross said torrent. Needless to say I lost my footing and fell down and could start to feel myself being swept away. Luckily for me I was walking home with another guy and he dragged my ass to the other side of the creek. So not really super close to dying, but if I had been carried about a quarter mile downstream, the creek goes though an underground culvert about a half mile long, sooo yeah, it was kind of scary lol.

Like others here, it was while I was swimming. Think I was about four, had a swimming tube around my waist and got flipped over when my brother swam in front of me. I remember sinking and seeing the light of the sun but ddidn't know how to swim. It was all probably a total of 4-5 seconds before my brother turned around and got me, all the while my Mom was screaming on shore ten feet away, was probably only in 5 feet of water. My mom is the best, but doesn't deal with panic situations very well, I guess.

Around the Network

My sister pushed me into the pool when I was 4, no biggie.

I'm now filled with determination.

Once when I was younger and on my scooter, I absent-mindedly crossed a busy street at the wrong time. Obviously and thankfully, I didn't get hit but I caused a major traffic jam: horns honking, drivers swearing at me. I hurried off home red in the face. If my timing was worse, I might have been hit.

One time, out late hours and two loose, pretty big dogs show up and start barking at me seemingly almost ready to gang up on me. Thankfully, stood my ground and they ran off.

Another time, walking to work, listening to Guns n Roses full-volume and at the last instant, turn my head up to see a train coming my way. Never forgot this, still remember the band I was listening to.

These are three that I can think of.

I got hit by a car going over 80 miles an hour on a road that was under construction so his tires blew out and he ran me over on the side walk. I luckily pushed my cousin out the way in time so it just hit me.
I also fell of a tree high up in the air when I was in 2nd grade that ended up ripping off all the skin on my face.
I got stabbed by a sharp stick through my nose because of some kids playing star wars.
I broke my neck playing american football at a young age.
All those times I felt like I was going to die.

The first half of Civil War almost killed me of boredoom.

A while after my father passed away, I went down to his welding shop to clean up. He'd been killing in a truck accident so it was just like he'd left it before he drove away. He had started working on an antique drill press that someone had converted over to electricity. Unfortunately, the way they'd wired it, it was spliced into a cord with dual pronged ends--one plugged into the drill, the other into the wall. Thinking it was just a regular drop cord, I picked it up and my finger touched the prongs.

I was holding a metal-bodied drill in my other hand. As soon as I touched the prongs, I could feel electricity flow through my right arm, across my chest, and out my left arm. My arm and chest muscles locked up so tight they felt like they were going to break and my vision started to go black. My hands were clenched and I couldn't use them. I fought down the initial panic, realized I could still move my legs somewhat, and began kicking at the cord until it jerked free of the wall receptacle.

I was shaking like a leaf, my chest and arms were so sore I could barely move, and my heart felt really funny. I made it inside and basically passed out on the couch. I had two small holes burned into one finger. They look like white spots now because they're covered over with scar tissue.

Electricity can be pretty darned dangerous.