By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the closest you ever came to dying?

Porcupine_I said:
I touched a life current rod once while standing on a grounded surface. Luckily didn't cramp or I would not be here to tell.

Were you on train tracks?

Around the Network

I like to dodge death. You could call me a dare devil. The amount of stuff I have done is amazing. The closest though to death was rolling under a train. My mate jack and I were camping in the Yorkshire dales in the UK and after one two many drinks Jacky boy dared me to roll under a slow moving train (slow because of sheep crossing) seemed very easy so I agreed, trouble was while doing it my jumper got caught on a piece of metal from the track. Luckily I managed to break free and only lost a finger. The driver must have seen me as he slammed on the breaks I had to lay down under the train for about 10 minutes bleeding out until the Air ambulance could get me. I was nearly arrested but told them I had dropped my wallet, everything went good.

Turkish said:
Porcupine_I said:
I touched a life current rod once while standing on a grounded surface. Luckily didn't cramp or I would not be here to tell.

Were you on train tracks?

no, it was in a electrical cabinet, I thought it was switched off because the guy said he had switched everything off, but he was talking about the lines coming from the cabinet. I even tested it, but my apprentice handed me a faulty meter. 

Imagine something like that:

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

MasterCeddy said:

In November 2014 I almost died after drinking 3 rockstar energy drinks after an intense cardio workout at the gym had to be rushed to the hospital my heart rate was 145 for 15 hours in a row and the experience left me with severe anxiety disorder, panic disorder and some arrhytmia but the good news is I eat better now than ever and try to take better care of myself. Don't ever drink energy drinks they are the devil. For real. 

3 years ago, I had 3 (or 4) energy drinks in the span of 3 hours. I had a deadline to mark some students' essays and was way behind. I already got an extension and thought if I asked for a second one, they would never give me tutorials again. I had no idea how bad energy drinks can be for you, though I didn't feel anything weird to be honest.

naruball said:
MasterCeddy said:

In November 2014 I almost died after drinking 3 rockstar energy drinks after an intense cardio workout at the gym had to be rushed to the hospital my heart rate was 145 for 15 hours in a row and the experience left me with severe anxiety disorder, panic disorder and some arrhytmia but the good news is I eat better now than ever and try to take better care of myself. Don't ever drink energy drinks they are the devil. For real. 

3 years ago, I had 3 (or 4) energy drinks in the span of 3 hours. I had a deadline to mark some students' essays and was way behind. I already got an extension and thought if I asked for a second one, they would never give me tutorials again. I had no idea how bad energy drinks can be for you, though I didn't feel anything weird to be honest.

And? What is your point?

Around the Network
COLINBATSEY said:
naruball said:

And? What is your point?

That I had no idea that energy drinks could cause all that... I thought it was pretty obvious.

Ahh cool I thought you nearly died.

Nearly drowned at sea. A freak current dragged me and a lot of other swimmers far out. Unlike others here, although I was 8 I was a very good swimmer, but let me tell you guys - fighting against an angry ocean is a losing battle. I survived because myself and a few other swimmers floated or got pushed together, and we all formed a human ring to try and kee afloat before rescue came. Quite intense.

I almost died at birth, so yeah off to a great start there. Almost drowned when I was 5ish, my dad had to jump in and save me. And to top it off I've twice nearly been run over. Once my fault, was tired walking to school and stepped out in front of a bus on a highway. The other time some wanker ran a red light at 3am and nearly took me out.

Also I was born to early... so I spent my first few months in a Incubator.

So I could have dyed at birth if not for modern hospitals and medicine.

"What's the closest you ever came to dying?"

The thing I remember the clearest though is this :
I almost choked to death on one of these when I was younger: