By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the closest you ever came to dying?

JRPGfan said:

Was it a liquorish pipe ?

I dont find it ridiculous at all.

One of these things nearly got me when I younger:

Yeah, I was really scared, but now I remember that and chuckle, don't ask me why XD.

It was one of those bastards:

It doesn't seem a big deal but that fucking ball got stucked right into my throat. 

Around the Network

Preface this with I was a good swimmer as kid. I learned to swim in diapers before I could walk.

However, all my swimming experience was in pools or lakes and when I was eight I visited the ocean for the first time.

We spent hours swimming and I was fine, increasingly becoming bold with how far I went out. Then learned what a rip tide is and made the mistake of fighting it. I swam against it for a good fifteen minutes until I became exhausted and began to drift out terrified. I was very lucky my sister realized and swam in and told my father. He dove in a got me let the current take us down the beach a bit and then swimming me back in to the shore. I felt very foolish, exhausted, and most of all fortunate that had my sister and father there with me. That five to ten minutes of fatigue making it a fight to stay afloat was most scared I remember being as a kid.

I was in Iraq with the 1st Armor Division on SRT Lightning and we came under small arms fire. It was so close I could here the bullets whistling past my kevlar.

My mom and I were in a pretty bad car accident (someone sped past a stop sign) in 2009. Miraculously we came out of it with just bumps and bruises.

My family and I were on our way to Colombia (on car) to spend christmass' with my mother's family. As we neared the border between Colombia and Venezuela, a truck stopped in the middle of the road and didnt let us move any further. We looked back, same thing. Suddenly, 4 or 5 guys came out of nowhere with guns and got on the car. Before going through a path off the roads, they pushed my mom and dad out of the car. They were aiming at us and asking us for money, and after a while they pushed us off the car too. For a few minutes we were walking our way back to the road until a police car came and picked us up.

This was the first and only time I've seen my dad cry.

tl; dr I was almost kidnapped/killed.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Also I was born to early... so I spent my first few months in a Incubator.

So I could have dyed at birth if not for modern hospitals and medicine.

"What's the closest you ever came to dying?"

The thing I remember the clearest though is this :
I almost choked to death on one of these when I was younger:

Basically this, closest I come to death is a birth. I believe I had feeding issues, and not that I was born early. 

Swimming as a kid when i couldn't swim on a float next minute there's loads of us on it I'm knocked of panic no life guard helps and some bloke jumps and saves me.

My brother was annoyed at me once. I did something good at school... I can't quite remember what. Probably something mediocre.. I was in primary school, elementary school for others.

He got jealous of the attention, pushed me in the lake and I nearly drowned.

Thankfully, I had long hair and my dad just reacted quickly. He pulled my ass out of the lake, by my hair and put me on the bridge... Or whatever we were standing on mid lake. My douche brother had to swap clothes with me. It was perfect punishment. I was obviously soaked from head to toe on the somewhat cold day.

ironmanDX said:
My brother was annoyed at me once. I did something good at school... I can't quite remember what. Probably something mediocre.. I was in primary school, elementary school for others.

He got jealous of the attention, pushed me in the lake and I nearly drowned.

Thankfully, I had long hair and my dad just reacted quickly. He pulled my ass out of the lake, by my hair and put me on the bridge... Or whatever we were standing on mid lake. My douche brother had to swap clothes with me. It was perfect punishment. I was obviously soaked from head to toe on the somewhat cold day.

I know you were kids, but um your brother might need some help for almost killing you. 

Apparently I spend some time in the hospital with respiratory problems when I was 3. I had to be in a special tent over the bed or something. I don't remember any of it.
No clue if it has anything to do with it but although I'm a great swimmer my mind sometimes starts to wander when I'm doing free stroke laps around the pool, imagining what it's like to drown. Not a nice feeling and completely irrational. I can easily swim the length of the pool underwater without thinking twice about it, nor have had any problems ever being underwater. I find it fun to breathe out underwater, lay flat on the bottom looking up at the surface of the water, looks cool. I feel comfortable swimming across lakes or in the river by our house. I guess one time when a speed boat was heading my way I had a moment of should I dive under since they can't see me, I swam out of their path before they got to me. Always look around you when swimming across a lake.

I've also been hit by a car when I was 8, rushed to hospital, spend a week there. But I don't think I was in any mortal danger.