By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do games really need to look better than Uncharted 4?

Uncharted 4.

I could live with this g... 83 39.34%

We need things to look be... 33 15.64%

Just work more on performance already. 27 12.80%

All of the above and ever... 48 22.75%

Results.... 20 9.48%

Total:211

Uh, yes? It's not as if U4 is flawless.

Around the Network

There is still a lot to improve, ray tracing says hi. But what I care even more about is animation. The games can be as photo realistic as they want. If the objects and characters still move around like potatoes, the immersion is gone anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

They didn't even need to look as good as TLoU.

The widespread persuit of realism in a medium this inherently artistic is so weird to me. Such a waste of time, money, and recourses that would be better spent on things like animation, AI, and actual game design.

Imagine if anime did this.

Last gen pretty much accomplished decent enough rendering of everything. But if this is on offer next gen, I'm not saying no.

I do think developers need to recalibrate their priorities though.

uc4 isnt even the best looking game this gen tbh.

Around the Network

Ask us this question again in 5 years...

vivster said:
There is still a lot to improve, ray tracing says hi. But what I care even more about is animation. The games can be as photo realistic as they want. If the objects and characters still move around like potatoes, the immersion is gone anyway.

I don't think I've seen a game impress me with its animation since Shadow of the Colossus. Motion capture pretty much kills any chance of something like that ever happening again though outside of TLG. Nobody treats animation as an art in and of itself the way those guys do. Not in gaming, anyway.

Tbh, I would have said games don't need to look better than Crysis back in the day. I would have said games don't need to look better than Witcher 3 just last year (hell I'd still say it now). But in the end In always quite pleased and amazed to see how much better they can look given time.

Also, from a hardware developers perspective the answer is quite clearly yes, they do need to look better, because they're trying to sell you new products.

Most games I play nowadays look pretty bad and even worse as the games I've played some years ago so no, I don't need better and better graphics. I even go backwards with my games lol.

But just because you don't find anything looking "bad" in Uncharted 4 doesn't mean that you will think the same in 10 years if you play Uncharted 7.

When I played Ocarina of Time on N64 I found it pretty gorgeous, I saw some walls and was like "damn, so good looking walls" , when I see it now I find everything pretty ugly (except for the art-style). But that doesn't stop me from liking it.

Im fine with my PS4 & Xbox One i won't be buying PS4.5 as it would be a waste of money also i would need to buy a 4ktv, i will wait till 9th gen when the 4K tv's will be better & cheaper i don't need to keep up with the Jones's, I'm getting PSVR though.