By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do games really need to look better than Uncharted 4?

Uncharted 4.

I could live with this g... 83 39.34%

We need things to look be... 33 15.64%

Just work more on performance already. 27 12.80%

All of the above and ever... 48 22.75%

Results.... 20 9.48%

Total:211

Games CAN look better, it's up to the developer of each game to decide whether they want to push the envelope and make it so. I am not satisfied with the status quo, I want to see developers pushing the boundaries, however, how they do that is entirely up to them. I don't think every developer needs to be dancing on the cutting edge of technology, but I absolutely encourage the ones who do.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
uc4 isnt even the best looking game this gen tbh.

Which game is?

PS4 (normal version) still has more room left in it than what Uncharted 4 does.
The developers themselves have said so, they learnt alot and the next game they are working on will look even better because of it.

PS4 is powerfull enough as is imo, the graphics its capable of, are quite nice.

Im more excited by the fact that once the Neo comes out, that ll drive the normal PS4 down in price.

AEGRO said:
jason1637 said:

Which game is?

The Order looks far better in my eyes.

I'll start thinking like that when hardware is powerful enough to handle ray/path tracing/casting, and whole game world is physically based...IIRC, from Gamasutra interview with Tim Sweeney (EPIC Games/Unreal Engine) few years ago, that's some 25TFLOPS.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

I don't think I've seen a game impress me with its animation since Shadow of the Colossus.

Ew. I remember that game being all kinds of wonky. It's impressively bad, if that's what you wanted to say.

John2290 said:
spemanig said:

I don't think I've seen a game impress me with its animation since Shadow of the Colossus. Motion capture pretty much kills any chance of something like that ever happening again though outside of TLG. Nobody treats animation as an art in and of itself the way those guys do. Not in gaming, anyw

Big AAAs are going the slightly "cold"route in animation, yes but that doesn't take away from the fact that whole combat system are built on Mo cap and would not be possible without it. Shit, some of the coolest stuff I've seen was Mo cap like when Quite did that subtle turn atop the sand dune in mgs5 but I agree, devs are confining themselves to reality (Which works and its a damn good method) and attempting ridiculously unrealistic cool shit like in mgs1 when snake does the back flip and slides away from the tank canon or the stupid flig at the key card door...or better yet, Meryls exagerated ass jiggling. Still Mo cap is some cool shit, don't kick it, Devs just need to get more creative with it and start adopting larger more complex rigs like the ones used in the movie gravity.

I think the animation done with mocap is functional for sure, but there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it. I take animation very seriously and there's really nothing in mocap that doesn't look boring to watch. It's like comparing a Disney or Ghibli cartoon to The Dark Knight or something. Like obviously the dark Knight is an amazing movie, but there's nothing even remotely remarkable about movement in that movie. It's the exact same thing with mocap. It's just copy-paste reality. Something functional, but not even remotely expressive in its own right. There's no life in mocap.

AEGRO said:
jason1637 said:

Which game is?

CUPHEAD BITCH

John2290 said:

This isn't the notion that we have reached the best we'll ever get, I know things can get more detailed...more realistic, I've seen the unreal tech demo's running on a five grand PC, I'm just saying everything is perfect with it from a visual stand point, why bother getting more realistic and not put the effort into porformance and artistic direction and styling...

No aliasing that is noticable without getting very close (I've yet to see jaggies, you?). The character animations can get more detailed but I would reckon there would be great trouble with hitting uncanny valley level weirdness. Tip of the spear already. The lighting reflects the colours perfectly which are toned fucking superbly I might add. (It can get better obviously, Fox engine)

What I'm getting at is what the fuck is the point of things getting more realistic than this? Its a waste of time, money and resources that could be put into inovation or more realism in the detail, scope, performance and polish. As consumers I think we have the right to bew heard on this and devs and publishers are largely ignoring us to just put out unoptimized games with patch after patch on top of already Data heavy installs.

We don't NEED to get better, but we can, so why not? And even when/if every game looks photorealistic, they won't all look the same. Do you get annoyed how all movies look the same? No. And with video games you can still do things that should exist in real life, and still have photo realism. 

Also, look at this screen shot, you really can't tell the difference between antialiasing on and off?

http://i.imgur.com/bEQWRxN.jpg

No kid EVER thinks graphics will get better.

Let me promise you something: technology always has a way of making games looking better.