By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will This Be The Last Console Generation?

Last Generation

Yes 27 13.37%

No 154 76.24%

Results 21 10.40%

Total:202
jason1637 said:
Anfebious said:
Stop talking about the end of console generations, it gives me nightmares.

why?

Because I'm against change and modernization. Digital only, streaming, etc.

Give me more time, I have yet to move to a first world country!

I guess I'll always have my gameboy color.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Probably yes.

Steam ID: Quakecore89 / GOG: AMDFX89 / Xbox Live Tag: QUAKEcore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PC: Ryzen 5 3700X/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/GTX 1660 Super/Crucial 250GB SATA M.2+Corsair 1TB NVMe)

jason1637 said:
Vodacixi said:
Nintendo will not abandon the console market anytime soon. So, even if it is the only hardware manufacturer, there will be a 9th gen for sure.

Did you even read the first sentence of the op?

Not really.

Vodacixi said:
jason1637 said:

Did you even read the first sentence of the op?

Not really.

*high-five*

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
Vodacixi said:

Not really.

*high-five*

*high five*. Although I wasn't trying to be a troll here. Just telling the truth...

Around the Network

No way will it be the last. Consoles are selling more and more, faster and faster.

Wasn't last generation supposed to be the final generation?

In all seriousness, though, I believe the console cycle to continue unabated. I fully expect a PS5 to be released or at least announced no later than 2020, and it will almost certainly use physical media, and I think MS will do the same if they remain in the console business and release another Xbox. I think the odd timing of the NX, combined with rumors of the PS4K/Neo, is causing people to get ahead of themselves and assume some massive, impending disruption to the existing console generation paradigm. People love to treat rumors as facts, to exaggerate them, and to believe in radical changes, because that's interesting and exciting while the 30-year paradigm of new generations released every 5-6 years or so is just boring and prosaic. But really, there's nothing to suggest that this is the final console generation. It's a successful business model, one that still works quite well. In the U.S., at least, the PS4 & XBO are still tracking nearly on par with the PS2 & Xbox and well ahead of the PS3 & 360. The two of them combined should sell at least 150 million units by time they're discontinued.

I don't think so.

Even if Microsoft were to move into PC gaming and leave the Xbox behind, you could still make a console war out of PS5 and NX2.

The Neo and the NX being released soonish could mean that their younger brothers could then be pitted against each other. And that's what all consoles need: a "war" to get the fanboys frothing.

Untill next gen, yes

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Plerpy_ said:
I don't think so.

Even if Microsoft were to move into PC gaming and leave the Xbox behind, you could still make a console war out of PS5 and NX2.

The Neo and the NX being released soonish could mean that their younger brothers could then be pitted against each other. And that's what all consoles need: a "war" to get the fanboys frothing.

This generation has not been a console war so much as a console police action with Sony mopping up any pockets of resistance.

The bad thing is they are almost a gaming monopoly now. No competition is good for no one.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969