By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will This Be The Last Console Generation?

Last Generation

Yes 27 13.37%

No 154 76.24%

Results 21 10.40%

Total:202
spemanig said:
shikamaru317 said:
I guess that depends on how you define console. If you define it as fully closed platform with iterations every 5-7 years, then yes, 8th gen will be the last console gen in that sense. If you define console as a fairly powerful gaming device for you living room, then no, this won't be the last generation of consoles.

From this point forward I fully expect mid-gen upgrades or even fully upgradeable consoles from each of the big 3. PS4K is as close to being confirmed as possible without hearing a confirmation from Sony themselves. An upgradeable Xbox releasing soon is heavily rumored and Phil himself talked about Xbox being upgradeable in the future. Nintendo patented what they call a supplemental computing device, which will likely be used to upgrade NX mid gen.

Don't doubt that Nintendo won't do both. SCD can only do so much. At some point, the hardware becomes a bottleneck. I expect a physical hardware upgrade for the NX and NXDS once every two years each, alternating years of release indefinitely.

Most definitely. I see them releasing SCD for NX in 2019 or so in order to boost it up to around the level of PS5 and Xbox 4 which will likely release in 2019 so that NX can keep getting 3rd party ports. Eventually they'll need to release a new console though, SCD can only boost NX for so long. I don't know about hardware every 2 years though, that's pretty fast, at least for the console, handheld might need an upgrade every 2 years so it doesn't fall too far behind smartphones and tablets, but with game support lasting for 4 years.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
spemanig said:

Don't doubt that Nintendo won't do both. SCD can only do so much. At some point, the hardware becomes a bottleneck. I expect a physical hardware upgrade for the NX and NXDS once every two years each, alternating years of release indefinitely.

Most definitely. I see them releasing SCD for NX in 2019 or so in order to boost it up to around the level of PS5 and Xbox 4 which will likely release in 2019 so that NX can keep getting 3rd party ports. Eventually they'll need to release a new console though, SCD can only boost NX for so long. I don't know about hardware every 2 years though, that's pretty fast, at least for the console, handheld might need an upgrade every 2 years so it doesn't fall too far behind smartphones and tablets, but with game support lasting for 4 years.

If they release a new NX it will most likely be like the new 3ds. The new 3ds is amiibo compatible so if a new NX is released it will be compatible to handle more SCDs imo.

shikamaru317 said:

I don't think it's too fast at all. It gives the upgrades a cadence and predictability. I also think they'll allow game support to last 6 years.

Well, this is new.

Read.

Nintendo will not abandon the console market anytime soon. So, even if it is the only hardware manufacturer, there will be a 9th gen for sure.

Vodacixi said:
Nintendo will not abandon the console market anytime soon. So, even if it is the only hardware manufacturer, there will be a 9th gen for sure.

Did you even read the first sentence of the op?

Around the Network

I hope so. "Generationless" hardware like speaming mentions feels like the future. A good future. The only problem now is to know if the companies are smart enough to manage this or if this will means their own destruction.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

The only question is whether there's going to be an official generation switch, but in practice, it seems the market is already switching over to shorter release cycles. That is, it seems like this generation is going to mark the switch, and if there's going to be another generation, it'll be just a formality. It's actually sort of funny how quickly this all has happened from a consumer point of view. First there were Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One, which all seemed like they would bring with them a normal console generation. But this year, and maybe last year, there have been a lot of signs this may not be the case.

Stop talking about the end of console generations, it gives me nightmares.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
Stop talking about the end of console generations, it gives me nightmares.

why?

Zkuq said:
The only question is whether there's going to be an official generation switch, but in practice, it seems the market is already switching over to shorter release cycles. That is, it seems like this generation is going to mark the switch, and if there's going to be another generation, it'll be just a formality. It's actually sort of funny how quickly this all has happened from a consumer point of view. First, there were Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One, which all seemed like they would bring with them a normal console generation. But this year, and maybe last year, there have been a lot of signs this may not be the case.

Yeah in the beginning of this gen this idea would be laughed at but right now there's a real possibility.