Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best Donkey Kong Country game

?

Donkey Kong Country 29 15.51%

Donkey Kong Country 2 50 26.74%

Donkey Kong Country 3 18 9.63%

Donkey Kong Country Returns 12 6.42%

Tropical Freeze 78 41.71%

Total:187

Donkey Kong Country for nostalgic reasons. I've not played DKC 2 or 3 and although Returns and Tropical Freeze looked and played great, I doubt I'll have any lasting memories of them in the future.

Around the Network

I acknowledge DKC2 as te beat of the DKC games...
My favorite, however, is DKC3...
I know many hate it, but it has some iconic platforming moments...

Have a nice day...

Tropical Freeze. Trying to 200% it at the moment.

curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Least favorite: Returns. To be honest, I don't even think this one deserves the "Country" name. It's just a 2D Donkey Kong and nothing else.

I really don't why Returns recieves so much flak, personally.

Yeah, its music isn't as amazing as the others, but in terms of gameplay its as good as any of its brethren in my opinion. Its level design in particular is brilliantly kinetic, flowing, and varied.

At least for me, the problem is that it doesn't looks like a DKC game at all. It changed almost everything that mades the original trilogy so good. Geez, you can't even play as Diddy Kong on Single Player, and he uses his jetpack from DK64, how did you get THAT wrong?

Tropical Freeze and DKC2 for me.
I voted for Freeze though, it just is a truly amazing game (Am I right Gamespot? 6.0)

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

I really don't why Returns recieves so much flak, personally.

Yeah, its music isn't as amazing as the others, but in terms of gameplay its as good as any of its brethren in my opinion. Its level design in particular is brilliantly kinetic, flowing, and varied.

At least for me, the problem is that it doesn't looks like a DKC game at all. It changed almost everything that mades the original trilogy so good. Geez, you can't even play as Diddy Kong on Single Player, and he uses his jetpack from DK64, how did you get THAT wrong?

I didn't have a problem with the different art style myself, it felt like a natural evolution of the series in my opinion as each game of the SNES trilogy got progressively more cartoonish.

I also don't see Diddy as a flaw. The only real difference gameplay wise is that instead of having to switch between characters to use different abilities, your abilities are combined when you have two characters. It really just takes the swapping out of the equation. And the jetpack is really just the same thing as Dixie's ponytail hover in DKC2 and 3, a method of extending a jump.