By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who will be the target demo for the NX...

spemanig said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Nintendo has a lot of unused IPs. Wouldn't it be nice so see an Ice Climbers reboot, the same way they rebooted Kid Icarus?. Make the Ice Climbers go explore the world, a 3D platformer like the classic N64 ones. If Mario isn't going to do it, why not use other of their franchises?

I couldn't agree more. Though I was actually thinking Donkey Kong.

Or Duck Hunt.

Or Metroid, since Metroid was originally made to be a mixture of linear platforming of Mario with action adventure of Zelda.

Or, you know, all of the above. They don't need to limit themselves to just one franchise per genre.

It would be interesting to see what Nintendo can do with Duck Hunt. The proper moment to reboot that series was with the Wii (aiming with the Wiimote and all) but they didn't. I suppose a hunting game is not that family friendly, specially with the tendency of the media of blowing things up out of proportion ("Family friendly company Nintendo makes game glorifying the killing of inocent animals" Imagine the clickbait and controversy potential).

Ice Climbers as a 3D platformer-collectathon could use the whole Smash Brawl moveset as a way to move through the map. Just create personalities for them like Kid Icarus, give them an actual storyline (doesn't need to be something ultra epic, maybe they like climbing high places and collecting weird items) and you're set.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
JRPGfan said:

Says who? Look how well it went when Mario 64 hit, and that wasnt exactly a linear platformer.

Also just because its always been one way, doesnt mean they cant change things. Nothing wrong with doing things that are working for others.

Nintendo can do it if they just put in the work, and it would be cool and new way of seeing Mario.

Says Nintendo, is that a joke? Nintendo view Mario 64 as a mistake. Do your research. Why do you think Galaxy was so linear? Why do you think we got 3D World/Land? Don't worry. You don't need to guess. Nintendo has already said it.

Miyamoto, 2003:

[Super Mario Sunshine] is an authentic sequel to Super Mario 64. I regret this somewhat — not because of the quality of Super Mario Sunshine, but rather because this Mario game may not attract players who are returning to gaming after some time.

[...]

One thing that has hurt the Mario games…Taking them into 3D, while it has expanded the worlds, has shrunk the user base. By going into 3D, the games have become more complicated. Before that, the Mario games were the type of thing that anybody could pick up and play very easily. By going into the 3D world, we have limited who that game is accessible to. After Super Mario 64, making a game that those 3D Mario fans can enjoy further requires shrinking the audience even more because you need to go more in depth.

Satoru Iwata, 2010:

As we see it, one reason why a number of people who love 2D Mario do not want to play 3D Mario appears to be because they are afraid to be lost in the 3D world by not knowing the exact directions, while they feel that they can play with 2D Mario with no such issues. One of the development themes of the original Super Mario Galaxy was to create a 3D world where people may not be easily lost, and the spherical shape was adopted as the game play theme for this reason. However, when we look at the Japanese sales, I do not think that we were able to effectively tackle this challenge with the original.

Miyamoto, 2013

What we tried to do with Super Mario 3D Land, was try to create a Mario game that was set in a 3D world that fell somewhere between the openness of the Galaxy games and the sidescrolling of the new Super Mario Bros. games to create a 3D Mario game that a wider array of people could play. And we felt that, with Super Mario 3D Land, we managed to achieve that. So, what we wanted to do was extend that broader appealing 3D Mario game to Wii U in a way that allow more people to experience it. That’s what we chose for Super Mario 3D World this time. But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there’s a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we’re going to allow the widest audience to play.

And more. Look it up.

So basically Nintendo hates open world....

But look at how well most open world games are selling currently.

Most open world games are hugely successfull.

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

No offence, but Capcom really is not that relevant especially in the West anymore. Resident Evil is an old and tired IP, Street Fighter just flopped on the Playstation, and Monster Hunter is primarily a Japanese thing it's never going to be a top 10 franchise in the US. 

So the idea that partnering with Capcom makes them akin to Disney is kind of an outlier. Disney has grown or brought brands like Star Wars, Pirates, Marvel, etc. which are red hot right now not 15 years past their prime. Nintendo needs to engage with Western publishers and devs they actually had it right in the mid-late 1990s, dismantling NOA (basically) as it was then and going away from Western 2nd party partners was a huge mistake. 

Why would that offend me? Neither was Marvel until is was. No one cared about Iron Man until the movie. No one cared about Thor until the movie. No one cared about Captain America until the movie. No one cared about the Avengers until the movie. No one cared about Gardians of the Galaxy until the movie.

The IP are valuable, whether the games are selling currently or not. If you don't have an eye for franchise potential, that's your failing. Fortunately, it isn't mine and hopefully it isn't Nintendo's either.

Nintendo vs. Capcom would be their Avengers and it would be an absolutely massive seller on brand alone. A AAA Tropical Freeze-tier Mega Man platformer with a big marketing push by Nintendo would be a huge seller and bring the franchise back to relevancy. It would take very little to make Monster Hunter big here. They can market it as their answer to Dark Souls (it isn't) and all it would need is a story that is actually enjoyable, voice acting, and a console version that doesn't look a generation behind. Resident Evil is definitely not old and tired. Street Fighter V was a bad product - this is all under the assumption that these games aren't. 

So it isn't an outlier. The N64 wasn't a successful generation for them. Stop glorifying it.

In the US, the N64 was relatively successful ... it sold the same as the Super NES despite having basically 10% of the developer support. 

In Japan they foolishly gave away all their JRPGs to Sony so the resulting rout there was predictable. 

Nintendo Vs. Capcom can happen right now today if Nintendo wanted it to. All they have to do is call Capcom and Capcom would say yes before they could even pitch the idea. 

Things like Iron Man, Captain America, etc. were never done correctly in movie form, I know this fairly well because I remember growing up in the 80s and we had that incredibly shitty Captain America movie that was made on a budget of like $10. 

Bottom line though is I think Nintendo pivoting away from Western collaboration and Western partners was a big mistake. Things like James Bond, Kobe Bryant, Ken Griffey Jr., Star Wars helped Nintendo in the 90s and they are still relevant today (well the NBA/MLB). Things like Resident Evil had their chance, and quite frankly RE couldn't sell GameCubes either. 

spemanig said:
Link please.

Nintendo will always be a platform for kids. People need to get over that - it's not a bad thing. It's okay to like things meant for kids. It doesn't make you a kid or an inferior human being.

That being said, the Wii was not just for kids. It was for everyone - except core gamers. I think the NX will be for the audience Nintendo wanted with the Wii U - everyone including core gamers. It's not going to be your cool-kid super adult hardcore mature box, and it doesn't need to be. More DS than PS4.

But if anyone seriously things that a platform with Mario as the mascot is ever going to launch a hardcore console targeting hardcore gamers, you're setting yourself up for a purgatory of disappointment. Hardcore gamers will get a focus, but far from the defining focus like with the PS4 and XBO.

And to clarify, when I say "hardcore," what I really mean is "16-35 year old western males."

So casuals.

i just added the links

FYI if you read the 1st 2 or so pages of the Investor Q and A that I updated with links in the title post- it is clear Nintendo has every intention of launching the NX in 2016- I know most everyone already believes this to be true but for the few holdouts that think they will not launch in 2106, reading the Q and A should change your mind (short of an unexpected delay)- but Kimishima is stating to investors he expects a significant share of new profit/revenue this fiscal year to come from NX and mobile- can t get any more clear than that

Around the Network

tak13 said:

Wow... How much do you want NX (Home consoles) to sell? I'm really curious given your suggestions.... (same question to spema)

A lot. A loooot.

JRPGfan said:

So basically Nintendo hates open world....

But look at how well most open world games are selling currently.

Most open world games are hugely successfull.

No, they hate open world where it doesn't belong. Look at Zelda. That's where open world belongs. Mario is a linear, objective based platformer. That's what it was always intended to be. That what it was initially designed to be. It's not an adventure. It's a set of short and straight forward challenges. It doesn't matter how well open world games are selling. Mario won't be one of them.

Nintendo's marketing is not what it used to be.

Back in the 80's their commercials were AWSOME. (See what I did there?) Their current commercials are a travisty to the marketing industry.

Nintendo's casual fans have mostly moved over to the mobile arena. Can they bring them back with a catchy 30 sec media blitz?

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Kids and casuals id imagine.

nintendo fans