By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the reason behind the PS4K?

potato_hamster said:

See the N64 expansion pak

Roughly 1/3 of N64 games that released after the RAM Pak were compatible with it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
goopy20 said:
I'm betting it all has to do with VR. The ps4 VR runs at 1920x1080 resolution but it's split between two eyes. If you want a decent VR experience, that resolution is a bit on the low side. Of course the ps4.5 won't run all games at 4k resolution but I'm guessing it will be able to run the VR games at 1920x1080 per eye.

A lot of people will probably not care about VR and I was a bit skeptical about it myself. However, after trying the Gear VR on my Samsung S7 I completely changed my mind. Even on a phone something like Dreadhalls is the scariest experience I ever had while playing a video game and it's freakin awesome! It's no wonder that Sony wants to compete with the Oculus Rift and Vive who both run at a much higher resolution than the normal PS4 VR.

And downscale it to the combined 1920x1080p VR headset, what would be the point of that?
Or are you expecting a new VR headset already while the first one hasn't even launched yet?
You think the ps4k will be rendering VR games at 1.6x the resolution of OR and HTC Vice?

The reasons behind PS4K:
4K UHD playback
HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 / AACS 2.0
H.265 / HEVC decoder
1 tb hdd to promote more digital downloads
5ghz wifi to promote more digital downloads, perhaps 1080p in home streaming.
Dedicated VR port to bundle with headset for a reasonable price (eliminating the external box)

Plenty reasons without upsetting developers and profit margins with more powerful hardware.
An off the shelf BDXL drive is already capable to read 4K UHD discs, it just needs hardware level DRM AACS 2.0 to read the discs. 4K UHD discs are old tech, the problem was waiting for all the specifications and DRM to be in place. Easy to add now. The rest is all pretty trivial to update. Designing and producing a new balanced APU is not however.

Oh and OR and Vive actually run at slightly lower subpixel resolution than PSVR, PSVR has 960x1080 per eye RGB display.
OR and Vive have 1280x1200 per eye pentile display, meaning there's only half the red and blue pixels compared to green.
red and blue resolution is 1280x600 or 960x1200. (it depends on the actual pattern but sums up to RGBG instead of RGBRGB)
In actual luminance render resolution the difference is comparable to 900p vs 1080p, yet when it comes to color the situation is almost reversed.

There is no need to upgrade to compete, different market with the fixed hardware and framerate doubling being PSVR's biggest advantage.

All I know is that VR is the biggest leap in gaming that I've seen yet and I've only played in on my Samsung S7 phone. It's hard to wrap you brain around the tech and it's also hard to explain to anyone who hasn't tried it yet. On my S7 it's not perfect though. The games works excellent but the 360 videos look to blury to really make for an enjoyable experience. Now I don't know how the resolution of PS VR compares to the Gear VR in real world performance, but the S7 does have a 2560x1440 display while the PS VR has a 1920x1080 screen. 

So my guess the ps4.5 will be an early adaptor console for people who want to get into VR early and get a similar experience that we see on PC. Of course it will also do 4k video but it will be a while before we see enough 4k video content to make people splash out on a new console. 

Yerm said:
i think they are preparing for if the NX rumors are true. if by next year we have a console that is considerably more powerful than the PS4 then people are going to move over to that and the PS4 will lose momentum.

The GameCube was significantly more powerful than the PS2. That changed nothing.

Lawlight said:
Yerm said:
i think they are preparing for if the NX rumors are true. if by next year we have a console that is considerably more powerful than the PS4 then people are going to move over to that and the PS4 will lose momentum.

The GameCube was significantly more powerful than the PS2. That changed nothing.

the gamecube had those tiny disks though so people werent interested in it. and the PS2 had a built in DVD player. there were other reasons behind the PS2's success

Zappykins said:
To push 4K Blu Ray and to get more buzz around the PS4 brand and cash in of the 4K market.

I don't think there will be any significant changes to the PS4, just an addition of the 4K player. Then there we be these rumors as to how 'powerful' it is, but it will be all just more made up stuff.

I'm more or less in the same camp; it will add 4K blu-ray playback capabilities, and not much more. For me, that's a pretty good selling point since I'm buying a 4K TV shortly and I'm also looking to finally get a PS4. I hope we hear something more tangible soon and a fall release, if that's what's happening, I'll easily wait until it releases instead of paying 100-150$ for a stand-alone 4K blu-ray player and then another few hundred for a PS4 in addition.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Yerm said:

True, even if the NX is more powerful it won't make that much of a difference since all the games will be made for the ps4 first and then ported to the NX. Same reason why ps4.5 games won't look any better than on the normal ps4.

I'm telling youse, the only reason we are getting a ps4.5 is because Sony isn't completely satisfied with the performance of their VR on the ps4. It will be good enough for simple VR experiences but they know it will fall behind when more advanced VR games start coming out on PC. I mean there's a reason why Oculus Rift requires a NASA supercomputer with a 970GTX at the bare minimum. So I don't expect any normal games to go exclusive for the ps4.5, but I do think there will be more advanced VR games down the road that only run on the new ps4.5. Also, it can't be a coinsidence that the ps4,5 is rumored to get announced just before they release the VR headset. 

The more I think of this the more I think it's not really happening. PS4k is really going to be nothing more than a new SKU that while all round better than the current PS4, will be no different.

First off, forget about 4k games.... that is simply not going to happen even with a x2 increase in power. A machine basically needs to push x4 more pixels if making the jump from 1080p to 4k.

What I think will happen will be a new SKU that comes standard with HDMI 2.0 to support 4k movies as most have said, 1TB standard HDD and everything that is in the VR breakout box built in as standard. So basically a VR complete console that only needs the Headset and camera to work. It would cost Sony to integrate VR hardware into the MB inside a PS4 less than it would making two separate boxes.

As for the NX being more powerful thing and Sony likely to try and one up them? all they have to do is drop the price of the PS4. Being 30% more powerful will make very little difference when the PS4 is already pushing 1080p@30fps.

We could all be wrong though. About everything.

Yerm said:
Lawlight said:

the gamecube had those tiny disks though so people werent interested in it. and the PS2 had a built in DVD player. there were other reasons behind the PS2's success

In 2002, no one was buying a PS2 for the DVD player. 

Ruler said:

First of all does the Last of Us look outdated by todays standard, even a lot of none AAA games in this generation have a lot of graphics effects who look better than in the remasters. And i am pretty sure that if Sony could have made the Last of Us in VR they would have done so, or any remaster for that matter.

It was just an example on how last gen games, which are not indies, can easily run at 1080p60 this gen. Sure today's games have a lot more graphical effects and more detailed geometry and higher res textures. The last 2 you don't need for VR and actually need less than off last gen, opening up the door for those extra graphical effects.

The thing is you can't simply remaster games to VR that were not made for VR. What looks right on TV might look disproportianate in VR and some effects might not be compatible with 3D. It can be done yet why do another remaster of Tlou, fps games aren't the most comfortable to start VR with in the first place. You do not want simple patches to convert a game to VR, you want them build from the ground up with VR in mind.

Anyway DriveClub was coming to VR as well with some minor tweaks, not an indie. (Hopefully it still is, yet the studio is closed :/)
http://www.psu.com/preview/28870/Driveclub-VR-Preview--Behind-the-wheel-I-was-driving-not-playing

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

See the N64 expansion pak

Roughly 1/3 of N64 games that released after the RAM Pak were compatible with it.

It was less than 30%,  Still I'm not sure how less than 30% support can be considered successful when you consider the expansion pak  sold terribly on its own and had practically no support by third parties until Nintendo started giving it away for free. It really was only adopted by third parties and users when Nintendo started bundling it for free with games like Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask. That means they gave away close to 8 million expansion paks, and then support started to pick up. So that means, even with 1 in 3 N64 users owning a expansion pak, most developers still chose not to support it. That isn't good. On top of that on many of fthe games that used the expansion pak to use higher resolution textures, there were instances where the frame rate was actually lower as a result, meaning in some ways the expansion pak actually made games worse.

If you want to argue this type of "success" and adoption rate by third parties is a reasonable expectation for Sony and the PS4K, then you're going to have to let me know either a) when you think Sony starts bundling free PS4Ks with their first party games, or how quickly Sony can expect that 1 in 3 PS4 owners to  own the PS4K so developers.

The N64 expansion pak is not a good example to use. While it was the most utilized performance add-on by third parties, the majority of third parties didn't bother supporting it. It was not widely adopted by both N64 owners or game development studios. It did not help improve N64 sales. It flat out was not a success.