By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the reason behind the PS4K?

Synesthesia said:

I don't like this direction for many reasons and I only see it ending poorly for consumers. Reminds me of how Microsoft succeeded in making people pay to play games online which still sickens me today that such toxicity happened and I view "PS4k" as a toxic thing to consumers at present. I guess not the thread for more of that talk though.

Yeah, that's stuff for a different thread, me thinks, but an interesting thought for sure.

Around the Network

I do believe it is a "slim" type thing for PS4 but with better specs. In addition to this, I think it is an excuse to counteract the NX. Both are valid reasons for the company.

etking said:
There is a strong need for better hardware because while PS1, PS2, and PS3 were state of the art and very powerful at release while the PS4 was already outdated with its slow but cheap APU design.

The PS4 hardware is so weak that it even has to struggle with 1080p games with heavily downscaled graphics compared to PC. With VR (=2x1080p) and 4K (=4x1080p) gaming as the next big innovations in the industry, better hardware is required because both are impossible to render on a standard PS4.

Umm, the difference between ps1, ps2,ps3 and PC was much bigger a few years after release

ps1 TR2 was a pixelated mess compared to the PC version

2004 MGS3

Far Cry 2004

All those sub 720p games on ps3 easily ran at 1080p60 on PC, and you know Crysis, 2007.

Now I have not seen anything significantly better than Uncharted 4.
Weak hardware, sure.

And VR on pc is not 2x1080p, 2160x1200 is 1.25x1080p

Lawlight said:
Yerm said:

the gamecube had those tiny disks though so people werent interested in it. and the PS2 had a built in DVD player. there were other reasons behind the PS2's success

In 2002, no one was buying a PS2 for the DVD player. 

Wait? What?  yes, yes, they absolutly were.

Both the Xbox and the PS2 sales were definately added by being a full DVD player.  The Game Cube, while more powerful than the PS2 suffered because of this.

People were like, "I could by a Nintendo and a DVD player, or get one that does both!"

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

kowenicki said:
Revenue.

Any other answer is wrong.

As long as it in turn becomes profit. As you yourself have (rightfully) stated, revenue is vanity, profit is sanity and cash is king.

Around the Network

Money.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

kowenicki said:
Teeqoz said:

As long as it in turn becomes profit. As you yourself have (rightfully) stated, revenue is vanity, profit is sanity and cash is king.

Indeed.

Best profit call would be continue to keep the price of PS4 as high as poss and reduce costs.  They really cant fuck that up from here on in.  So this project, if it exists, would seem to be a vanity project that will generate revenue but isnt guaranteed to generate profit.  Sony dont have the best rep on margins.

Well if a company only done things that were guaranteed to generate profit I think it'd be hard for them to grow as a comany, risk is necessary now and again. I think in this case, the vanity project may have real effects on profit longterm if it happens the limit the growth of competition (NX, Xbox 2) and  delay the need  for expensive full scale hardware revisions (PS5).Naturally these are things that aren't entirely tangible.