By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Captain America: Civil War' Review Thread - 90% RT/75 MC score - WW BO = $991.0M/DOM = $314.2M

Runa216 said:
Volterra_90 said:
Nice review Runa216! You should know that I take my time to read it, I'm not quoting it because it's big, but I enjoyed the reading :). I agree with you. Great character development and interaction, well exposed and clear motivations, excellent action scenes (the airport one is outstanding!), a well developed emotional core...

Also, I'd like to add that it's clearly a Captain America movie. I mean, some people said it was more like an Avengers movie. Wut? No, it's not. This is not a tremendously big conflict with the future of humanity at stake. It's intimate and personal. It has a very powerful emotional confrontation in the end. Definitely a Captain America film. I loved it, and after watching it a second time, I think it's even better. And probably one of, if not the best super-hero movie I've seen.

Thanks!  

And I agree, it is a Captain America movie, but it's also kind of an avengers movie in that it relies heavily on the interpersional relationships of all the avengers.  It also helps that throughout the movie they are discussing and reacting to the results of the actions of the Avengers.  

We can have it both ways!

Yeah, I agree!  I was talking more about the criticism of the film being a pure Avengers film. It's like a mixture between Avengers/Cap films and it definitely works wonders!

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
Runa216 said:

Thanks!  

And I agree, it is a Captain America movie, but it's also kind of an avengers movie in that it relies heavily on the interpersional relationships of all the avengers.  It also helps that throughout the movie they are discussing and reacting to the results of the actions of the Avengers.  

We can have it both ways!

Yeah, I agree!  I was talking more about the criticism of the film being a pure Avengers film. It's like a mixture between Avengers/Cap films and it definitely works wonders!

and it is doing between best captain america movie and worst avengers movie

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Dirtybynature said:
BoxOfficeMojo haven't updated their international grosses but it should be at around 650-700M WW by the time weekend estimates and international numbers are in. It's going to be a tight race to AoU WW numbers.

Newer numbers are out now:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $181,791,000    26.8%
Foreign:  $496,600,000    73.2%
Worldwide:  $678,391,000  

Pretty much spot-on on your prediction right now.

Yup, just updated the FP. I was hoping it was closer to AoU's OW though. I think it'll come it a tad higher when actuals come in tomorrow. Slightly softer Sunday drop. Massive opening in China as well. Should be able to clear the $200M mark over there.

"Captain America: Civil War continued to dominate overseas with an estimated $220.0 million from 55 territories. The film’s second weekend of overseas release was highlighted by its $95.8 million launch in China. Captain America: Civil War has already grossed $496.6 million overseas and $678.4 million globally. Key grosses to date for individual markets include the mentioned $95.8 million take from China, $53.9 million in Korea, $40.4 million in the United Kingdom, $34.3 million in Mexico, $25.2 million in Brazil, $17.9 million in Australia, $17.0 million in Japan and $16.6 million in France." - BoxOfficePro

So it's playing very strongly in Latin America countries, good in Asian markets and okay/so-so in European markets.

PS4/PS3/PC/3DS Owner (Will buy a Switch when mainline Pokemon game is released)

It was the best Marvel movie to date and honestly, one of my favorite movies of all time. While i agree it was save as far as characters, the in-fight and that final brutal throw down was fantastic. I see a lot of people saying there wasn't enough consequences but by the end of the movie, it doesn't exactly wrap up with a neat little bow, not to mention that Black Panther and this new Spiderman are fantastic.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Dirtybynature said:
Yup, just updated the FP. I was hoping it was closer to AoU's OW though. I think it'll come it a tad higher when actuals come in tomorrow. Slightly softer Sunday drop. Massive opening in China as well. Should be able to clear the $200M mark over there.

"Captain America: Civil War continued to dominate overseas with an estimated $220.0 million from 55 territories. The film’s second weekend of overseas release was highlighted by its $95.8 million launch in China. Captain America: Civil War has already grossed $496.6 million overseas and $678.4 million globally. Key grosses to date for individual markets include the mentioned $95.8 million take from China, $53.9 million in Korea, $40.4 million in the United Kingdom, $34.3 million in Mexico, $25.2 million in Brazil, $17.9 million in Australia, $17.0 million in Japan and $16.6 million in France." - BoxOfficePro

So it's playing very strongly in Latin America countries, good in Asian markets and okay/so-so in European markets.

It still says 291M total to me in the OP, but the other 2 numbers got updated corrctly.

Captain America never flew very high in most of europe. Probably because his name implies strong nationalism (and strong display thereof), which is frowned upon in europe since WW2, even though it's totally not the case.

Areym said:

It was the best Marvel movie to date and honestly, one of my favorite movies of all time. While i agree it was save as far as characters, the in-fight and that final brutal throw down was fantastic. I see a lot of people saying there wasn't enough consequences but by the end of the movie, it doesn't exactly wrap up with a neat little bow, not to mention that Black Panther and this new Spiderman are fantastic.

Well half the team are outlaws, the Avengers initiative is broken and Rhodoes is paralysed at the end of the film. That's enough consequences as it is. It's a good lead into the Avengers regrouping back for Thanos.

Bofferbrauer said:
Dirtybynature said:

It still says 291M total to me in the OP, but the other 2 numbers got updated corrctly.

Captain America never flew very high in most of europe. Probably because his name implies strong nationalism (and strong display thereof), which is frowned upon in europe since WW2, even though it's totally not the case.

Sorry, I updated it correctly. I think it's still called the First Avenger in some European countries to help counter it I believe.

PS4/PS3/PC/3DS Owner (Will buy a Switch when mainline Pokemon game is released)

I saw this a couple days ago, and all I had to do was follow the Marvel rotten tomatoes rule. Subtract 30 from it's score, and you get the quality of the movie.

As a longtime superman fan, i have to say hack snyder thing was a mess, almost a complete turd, i wish they give justice league to a better director, hoping suicide squad to redeem things and be awesome.

The captain america movies have been very good movies, looking forward for more black panther, antman, spiderman, falcon, instead of more Thor and hulk or shield agents.

Danman27 said:
I saw this a couple days ago, and all I had to do was follow the Marvel rotten tomatoes rule. Subtract 30 from it's score, and you get the quality of the movie.

Well, seems like reviewers and audience are all clueless then and only your taste in movies is the real one^^