By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioWare Founder on PS4/Xbox One Upgrades: It'd Be a "Gigantic Pain in the Ass"

Soundwave said:

Consoles are basically just PCs in a box now anyway, it's not like the old days where the console components were totally different from PC graphics cards.

So in that sense I think it's just everything becoming one singular development platform basically, so this PC vs console delineation is likely going away.

If NX falls in line with the x86 stuff, basically you should be able to make one PC/PS/XB/NX game and the PC version should be your base with the sliders and then just appropriate the best running version to the console provider. That's just the way it's going to have to be. 

So how do you explain Gears of War and QB performance on PC. It's just sliders, right. PC in a box.
What does Bioware know about it anyway.

Sneak peak at the next gen controllers

Adjust all the graphics settings while playing. The goal is to maintain a steady 30 fps, be quick to catch the dips, yet don't turn them too low to avoid frame pacing issues. Don't worry about the character, autoplay will take care of that.

Optimizing a game is a lot more work than a few global settings. Getting a steady frame rate while pushing the hardware to the max is far from an easy task.

Around the Network

I don't really think we will have much improvements this gen - probably not as big a last gen which saw massive increases in hard drives on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 (end of gen vs launch.)

If the PS4 upgrades to a 4K blu ray player, I don't think that will affect gaming much. Sure the new drive might be a little faster, but the games are still limited by the hard drive.

And the Xbox One has the elite with it's faster drive, and you can add a fast USB 3.0 large hard drive and make games a little faster.

But all the design elements for both is the same. I don't think there will be significant hardware design changes.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

"The whole purpose of consoles is the set of requirements that you work against from a hardware perspective,"

I thought the purpose of consoles was to make money.

Wow, how in the world does this dude keep his job?

He is so wrong about the whole situation that it is mind boggling. Scalable hardware is not a burden to develop for in the least. How does his team handle making sure a game runs on every one of the R300 series cards and i-series CPU's? This the most basic of basic.

The whole idea of a scalable series of consoles is to bring better performance at mid cycle fab shrinks. All PS4 and XBO series consoles would be on the same tech with extra CPU cores, Extra GPU compute units, more RAM, and minor upgrade to minor chip features to bring the newest standards. This is ment to extend the generation untel tech reachs the point where a true leap in gaming is possible. It makes it so devs can continue to develope for a userbase that is 10's of millions strong instead of making them start over in only 4 to 5 years.

I don't see how the concept of the upgradable console platform is so hard for people to wrap their heads around. This is without a doubt the future, and the only direction Sony and MS can go if they want to stay relevant in the living room. Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Roku aren't going to stop releasing new devices at a much higher rate, and they are going to surpass console in power and sales in no time if nothing is done. Then this guy can explain how they are developing the next Mass Effect for a dozen completely different platforms.

Absolute garbage.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Then what is PC gaming?

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:
Gamers don't want to have to upgrade specific components a la steambox and developers don't want to or simply aren't going to focus on optimizing for even more platforms. All it would do is harm the industry.

I guess that's why all that business around PC and Steam totally failed. Valve must feel so stupid right now. Same goes of course for that other failed project called "mobile gaming". I hope mobile and PC developers have enough 100 dollar bills to ease all the harm that was done to them.

But let's just pretend consoles are the only thing that exists or matters in the gaming industry.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well the alternative would be a while new generation of consoles every 4 years, so a PS5 in 2017.

They made the choice to use more affordable hardware and i am glad they did, but that does mean you have to have shorter generations or a mid-gen upgrade.

Couldn't have said it better.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

kurasakiichimaruALT said:
Then what is PC gaming?

Strongly unoptimized. Games on PC could easely have twice the FPS if the developers could tap as deep into the power reserves as one can do on a console. A PC with the exact same hardware as a PS4 wouldn't even have the framerates and/or resolution of the same game on the Xbox ONE despite being more powerful. The reason is because there are so many possible configurations, they have to strike a balance which works on all of them.

A PC needs brute force to overcome this. They do have the brute force, too, high-end GPUs and CPUs are more than 4 times more powerful than a PS4, at the price of consuming much more enrgy than a console possibly could.

PS4 and Xbox ONE where comparable to mid-range PC Hardware when they came out, but now they are getting close to entry-level hardware. This is especially true for the Xbox ONE, where APUs/iGPs are getting close to achieve the same brute calculation power. Despite this, one still needs mid-range Hardware on PC to get the same graphics and resolution than the same game on a console would have.

Bofferbrauer said:
kurasakiichimaruALT said:
Then what is PC gaming?

Strongly unoptimized. Games on PC could easely have twice the FPS if the developers could tap as deep into the power reserves as one can do on a console. A PC with the exact same hardware as a PS4 wouldn't even have the framerates and/or resolution of the same game on the Xbox ONE despite being more powerful. The reason is because there are so many possible configurations, they have to strike a balance which works on all of them.

A PC needs brute force to overcome this. They do have the brute force, too, high-end GPUs and CPUs are more than 4 times more powerful than a PS4, at the price of consuming much more enrgy than a console possibly could.

PS4 and Xbox ONE where comparable to mid-range PC Hardware when they came out, but now they are getting close to entry-level hardware. This is especially true for the Xbox ONE, where APUs/iGPs are getting close to achieve the same brute calculation power. Despite this, one still needs mid-range Hardware on PC to get the same graphics and resolution than the same game on a console would have.

I have a Nvidia 570 in my PC ... that's a GPU that's like 5 1/2 years old now. It can still run most of the latest games just fine including Street Fighter V and The Witcher III.