By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers rumor: Zelda U to have a playable female, fully voice acted, releasing NX and Wii U

Volterra_90 said:
spemanig said:
First off yes, I know I'm supposed to be spoiler free. I saw it on accident as I follow her on twitter. No use not talking about it now. Just don't bring it up in my thread.

Anyway, the girl player is stupid, but I'm not going to get worked up over it because of the MUCH bigger news.

VOICE ACTING OMG!!!!!!! This is HUGE!!!! If Nintendo does this right, holy shit. Holy shit. This is big. They NEED to make sure that the script is good and they NEED to make sure that the voice acting and direction is good. This could literally be a changing point for the company when it comes to software with wide market appeal.

Needless to say, I'm pleased. (Also, let's not even pretend that this isn't real. Emily Rogers is equivalent to official confirmation as far as I'm concerned)

Yes, she is really trustworthy, so I'm willing to believe this is true. About female Link, I think that it should be done so I'm happy with it, although I really understand the reservations about it. For me, Link is an avatar for the player, although not many would agree with that. It's just the way I play Zelda games, I feel that I'm Link. So if I was a female, I'd like to play as a female avatar. And it works on the Zelda lore. I think in SS Demise said something like he condemned all Zelda/Link blood line to a cycle of fight and reborn? Or was it reincarnation? I can't really remember.

To the post above, no, revolution doesn't mean to break all traditions, but some dated traditions must be broken to adapt the franchise to modern times. Voice acting is one of them I think. Female Link, okay, that's different and it's up to interpretations, and I understand every point of view about it. It's not necessary, but I think it's a nice change.

With voice acting being a possible nice addition and change, I can agree with that.I mean, FF is an example of that.Im just frightful that they may get it wrong, and Im already really acustommed to the silence.Old habits die hard I guess.But if done wonderfully, could be game changer

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Zelda should be Link's sister and in the beggining you can choose which one would you like to play.

I can get behind this.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:

But doing a female Link just for the sake of it?I find it wrong.I mean, you could do it because the lore allows it, but I find it wrong.Link has always been male and should remain so.Lately there has been too much political correctness and that would be another case of it in my opinion.

Having said that, if gamers are interested to play a Zelda game as a femlae protagonist, why not make Zelda the main caracther?Or even better, a new one with a whole new personality, backstory(as to why she is fighting against evil and so on), and cast of friends.Maybe a new location.It would make everyone happy(well most anyway.I just dont see the need to make a female Link skin.

And Samus is female.Nintendo never said otherwise.

This has nothing to do with political correctness. It's all about choices and broading the player's horizon. You can pick up what you want at the start: male or female. There's your option there if you want Link to be male. For the rest who want Link to be female, there's the option as well. You might find it wrong, but there's nothing wrong about it in itself.

Gamers don't develop Zelda games. Nintendo does. If Nintendo sees fit making a Zelda game, then we would gladly purchase it. If they don't, we're stuck with what they give us. Nintendo thinks it's a good idea (it is, it's actually great) to include a female main character in the new Zelda game, which can potentially be female Link (Unconfirmed yet).

Yeah, Samus is female. A transgender female, that's it.

ninjapirate42 said:
I can almost 100% guarantee that the worst that would come from the option of choosing Link as male/female is people on the internet complaining. I'd be shocked if it caused anyone not to buy the game and absolutely love it.

As long as they're doing the story right I completely trust Nintendo to give us this option and have it make sense.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

How can I possibley just pick male Link and ignore this, it has completely ruined the game for me. Nintendo need to go out of business already if they are going to ruin such classic franchises... New Link amiibo you say, I'll take 5

JRPGfan said:
Wright said:

Oh, really? How come? Why would it go against the "brand" that Zelda Franchise is?

Hes always been a boy/man.

A link thats suddenly a girl, would break away from what your brand is, and people expect from a main line zelda game.

Its the wrong way to do it.

If you want a strong female lead that saves the world, dont just force a reskin of link, into the body of a female.

Make a new character, and a new game for that, instead.

like i said a few posts back, dual worlds is a common theme in Zelda, Light/Dark, Future/Past, etc. It could simply be that the opposite world in this game has the characters switch gender.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

How can I possibley just pick male Link and ignore this, it has completely ruined the game for me. Nintendo need to go out of business already if they are going to ruin such classic franchises... New Link amiibo you say, I'll take 5

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wright said:
Nautilus said:

Just checked it now, and my god thats true.Didnt play MGS V yet, so thats why I didnt know.But its not a similar case as in she is unlockage after you do certain conditions.So you need to play as normal Snake until you can unlock it.You dont start with that option.It would be an extra.Subtle difference, but still different.

Like I said to Volterra, story-wise it is possible to make Link into a female caracther.But Link has always been historically a male.For almost 30 years.Why make this change without a very good reason?It would be better, story-wise and to make fans happy, just to make a new female protagonist if thats the case(if they wanted to go with a female protagonist).

Another example would be(dont know if you are a fan of Metroid) if that false rumour about Samus was true(about she being transgender).I mean, we never looked down there.And they could very well create a past for her that would justify that.They could do that but you know, it wouldnt be that popular.

Female Snake isn't an unlockable, she's present throughout the whole game, although since you haven't played it I won't say further because it's massive spoilers of MGSV from here.

This is 100% false. Where are you getting this nonsense from?

Because you can kinda create a character at the beginning, and this is the character you're supposedly playing throughout the game and not Venom Snake?

Well I guess if you want to spin it that way, that when you see yourself as Venom, you're not actually Venom but the character you created in the beginning, but that's a pretty disingenous way of saying there's such thing as a female snake isn't it?

I like the fact that its voice-acted, and I have no problem with female Link. Sounds all good to me.

bet: lost

ktay95 said:
Nautilus said:

I meant voice acting, not having her not to speak.I would find (voice acting) weird, because Im more than 15 years acoustumed to have her speak with no voice.You get what I mean.

Link is mearly somebody chosen by the Goddesses to protect the world from evil.Yes, so why cant the goddesses choose someone else that isnt Link?A new female protagonist perhaps?Or maybe for another reason.Maybe even making Zelda as the protagonist.It would make everyone happy.

Because then they are Link?? 

I mean either Link isnt really every Link's actual name (kinda like James Bond is a code name theory), its why I can change my name at the start of a game or the Goddesses put it in the parents mind with their magical Goddess powers to call their kid Link. Which by the way makes i really easy for a Demon King to find and kill said child unless Link is a common name, in which case he would kill them all

Okay, I didnt express myself properly.A new hero could just appear, and that hero could be female and not be a girl named link or be the reincarnetion of Link.I mean, when link first became a hero In Skyward Sword, he wasnt a chosen hero or anything of the sort before that right?He was just a guy that decided to do the right thing.So why cant they take this route again with a new lead?

Hmm...I definitely have a negative opinion on this, but since it seems that most others don't, I'll just keep it to myself.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.