By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers rumor: Zelda U to have a playable female, fully voice acted, releasing NX and Wii U

First off yes, I know I'm supposed to be spoiler free. I saw it on accident as I follow her on twitter. No use not talking about it now. Just don't bring it up in my thread.

Anyway, the girl player is stupid, but I'm not going to get worked up over it because of the MUCH bigger news.

VOICE ACTING OMG!!!!!!! This is HUGE!!!! If Nintendo does this right, holy shit. Holy shit. This is big. They NEED to make sure that the script is good and they NEED to make sure that the voice acting and direction is good. This could literally be a changing point for the company when it comes to software with wide market appeal.

Needless to say, I'm pleased. (Also, let's not even pretend that this isn't real. Emily Rogers is equivalent to official confirmation as far as I'm concerned)

Around the Network
Wright said:

Is the source reliable, more less?

yes she is.

Nice to have more confirmation but anyway we already knew this since SuperMetalDave said it...

ktay95 said:
Nautilus said:
Well Aonuma said that they are going for a major change for Zelda U.But I really hope that choosing betwenn female and male is not true, because that the protagonist wont be Link(or they will make Linkle cannon.... ugh)

About voice acting.... Im not really sure.Link should always remain silent, that has always been part of his carachter and should remain so.But for the rest, it will depend on the quality.Zelda is another one that I think should remain silent.Will feel weird if she suddenly talks.Again, may change my mind if it works out wonderfully.

Why cant Link be female. Link is mearly somebody chosen by the Goddesses to protect the world from evil. 

As for voice acting, why would it be weird hearing this games Zelda speak?? Zelda speaks in the past games, even if its through text. Am I just expected to watch a scene were Link and Zelda just awkwardly stand their staring at each other with zero conversation happening?? Or does this one moment have to be text based for no reason?? Makes zero sense mate.

I meant voice acting, not having her not to speak.I would find (voice acting) weird, because Im more than 15 years acoustumed to have her speak with no voice.You get what I mean.

Link is mearly somebody chosen by the Goddesses to protect the world from evil.Yes, so why cant the goddesses choose someone else that isnt Link?A new female protagonist perhaps?Or maybe for another reason.Maybe even making Zelda as the protagonist.It would make everyone happy.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:

Just checked it now, and my god thats true.Didnt play MGS V yet, so thats why I didnt know.But its not a similar case as in she is unlockage after you do certain conditions.So you need to play as normal Snake until you can unlock it.You dont start with that option.It would be an extra.Subtle difference, but still different.

Like I said to Volterra, story-wise it is possible to make Link into a female caracther.But Link has always been historically a male.For almost 30 years.Why make this change without a very good reason?It would be better, story-wise and to make fans happy, just to make a new female protagonist if thats the case(if they wanted to go with a female protagonist).

Another example would be(dont know if you are a fan of Metroid) if that false rumour about Samus was true(about she being transgender).I mean, we never looked down there.And they could very well create a past for her that would justify that.They could do that but you know, it wouldnt be that popular.

Female Snake isn't an unlockable, she's present throughout the whole game, although since you haven't played it I won't say further because it's massive spoilers of MGSV from here.

Just because Link has always been a male doesn't mean we need to continue the trend for the sake of it. Embracing a female Link would be a desirable option, not only shaking up the formulaic archetype that has been on this franchise for thirty years, like you say, but it would also be great for all of us who have ever wanted to play as a female Link. They could go with a new protagonist, I'm cool with that. But since the standard male Link never needed any story to be who he is, why does a female Link needs it? Just a reincarnation on the hero in a female body. Simple.

And Samus is transgender, it's not a false rumour.

spemanig said:
First off yes, I know I'm supposed to be spoiler free. I saw it on accident as I follow her on twitter. No use not talking about it now. Just don't bring it up in my thread.

Anyway, the girl player is stupid, but I'm not going to get worked up over it because of the MUCH bigger news.

VOICE ACTING OMG!!!!!!! This is HUGE!!!! If Nintendo does this right, holy shit. Holy shit. This is big. They NEED to make sure that the script is good and they NEED to make sure that the voice acting and direction is good. This could literally be a changing point for the company when it comes to software with wide market appeal.

Needless to say, I'm pleased. (Also, let's not even pretend that this isn't real. Emily Rogers is equivalent to official confirmation as far as I'm concerned)

is her track record really that good? i know she leaked Paper Mario recently, what else has she leaked?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Luke888 said:
Wright said:

Is the source reliable, more less?

yes she is.

Well, this is awesome news! Sorry for those who don't want voice-acting though. :P

Volterra_90 said:
Nautilus said:

Well yes, tecnically you are right.They could make it happen story-wise.But historically Link was always male and should remain so.Its a tradition that in my opinion should never be broken.If they wree to make a new female protagonist, then fine.Just dont make a female Link.

The only problem I see is if the Link of the game is the Link of Majora's Mask for example, who is male. But it works with the Zelda lore if it's a sucessor. Tradicions are to be broken imo. Franchises should evolve and that normally means changing the rules. But I get why some people might have reservations about it, it was always a controversial subject, like voice acting.

Making a revolution dosent mean it needs to break tradition.I dont know why it is so important to make Link female, since he was always a male and he has 30+ years of legacy as such.And I mean, wouldnt a new female carachter be more interesting?They could give her a new personality, instead of just being Link with a female skin.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

spemanig said:

Yes, she is really trustworthy, so I'm willing to believe this is true. About female Link, I think that it should be done so I'm happy with it, although I really understand the reservations about it. For me, Link is an avatar for the player, although not many would agree with that. It's just the way I play Zelda games, I feel that I'm Link. So if I was a female, I'd like to play as a female avatar. And it works on the Zelda lore. I think in SS Demise said something like he condemned all Zelda/Link blood line to a cycle of fight and reborn? Or was it reincarnation? I can't really remember.

To the post above, no, revolution doesn't mean to break all traditions, but some dated traditions must be broken to adapt the franchise to modern times. Voice acting is one of them I think. Female Link, okay, that's different and it's up to interpretations, and I understand every point of view about it. It's not necessary, but I think it's a nice change.

I agree with Nautilus: I'm perfectly fine with having a female character, but I'd rather that character not be Link.

I really dislike the idea of a female link.
I think it goes against the "story" and brand that the zelda franchise is.
Its doing something just for the sake of doing it.

Make a zelda spin off game, with a new character (not named link) that then saves the world instead.