By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV needs to be AMAZING.

bigtakilla said:
I'm not entirely sure an established franchise like Final Fantasy succeeding will entice any sort of willingness to experiment... Would be nice though.

It's more about the fact that because FFXV is both from an established franchise and it is pushing so many limits from the norm of its series.  It could influence so many different genres and even just the look of a game.  You have to admit that we've never seen 4 main characters like this together as one unit (the boy band look), much less as the full main party of an open world AAA RPG.  It's very jarring and takes you out of your comfort zone for a standard RPG.

And all this being done for probably the most hyped up game of this generation.  Aside of Destiny maybe, hard to say.  Still, Destiny wasn't announced 10 years ago.

Edit: To reiterate on the fact that FF is an established franchise, what I mean is that franchises that already have a foothold as a household name for the most part tend to cruise on the same formula.  FFXV being the game that it is and as hyped as it is coming off as a huge success may very well swade some of these developers.  Maybe not, but it's going to influence them back to just staying comfortable if FFXV ends up a failure or only good; telling them what they may have already expected.

AAA Games in some ways have been getting better, but only cleaner.  There are few that defy expectations.  Exceed sometimes, but almost never defy and succeed by bringing in new ideas to the general public and revolutionizing how people want to play games.  FPS, Third person shooter mechanics and RPG looting mechanics have largely dominated last and this gens high production valued games.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

well with consoles being so awesome no need to get a gaming pc.

What makes you think it WON'T be amazing? I have been playing Final Fantasy my whole life, and I haven't been this stoked for an entry since IX or X.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
bigtakilla said:
I'm not entirely sure an established franchise like Final Fantasy succeeding will entice any sort of willingness to experiment... Would be nice though.

It's more about the fact that because FFXV is both from an established franchise and it is pushing so many limits from the norm of its series.  It could influence so many different genres and even just the look of a game.  You have to admit that we've never seen 4 main characters like this together as one unit (the boy band look), much less as the full main party of an open world AAA RPG.  It's very jarring and takes you out of your comfort zone for a standard RPG.

And all this being done for probably the most hyped up game of this generation.  Aside of Destiny maybe, hard to say.  Still, Destiny wasn't announced 10 years ago.

To me this reeks of lazyness. 4 guys who look very stylistically similar and that's it. Also forcing a look on a character in 2016 in FF needs to stop. Not being able to equip various types of armor to get a look the player wants also just comes off as extremely lazy as well. 

Skratchy said:
What makes you think it WON'T be amazing? I have been playing Final Fantasy my whole life, and I haven't been this stoked for an entry since IX or X.

I honestly think SE will never make a FF game with the style of 9 again. Art, direction and story. Let's hope they don't completely abandon the one thing that attracted many of us to FF games in the first place if XV succeeds, the combat.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Skratchy said:

I honestly think SE will never make a FF game with the style of 9 again. Art, direction and story. Let's hope they don't completely abandon the one thing that attracted many of us to FF games in the first place if XV succeeds, the combat.

I just want one more medieval times setting with a pirate ship flying ship, then I'll gladly just move on.

bigtakilla said:
The Fury said:

I just want one more medieval times setting with a pirate ship flying ship, then I'll gladly just move on.

Indeed. My want for FF games is steampunk. 7, 9 and X have it. I would like more of it.

Hmm, pie.

Just keep your expectations level-headed and reasonable and the game wont be a disappointment. People thinking this game will be perfect or expect perfection will be very disappointed

vivster said:
The only thing it needs is to sell amazingly on PC.

What do you mean?

GamePlatformGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.73 1.22 1.87 0.51 5.34
Final Fantasy XIII X360 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.27 0.68 0.01 0.20 2.16

FINAL FANTASY XIII

Developer: SQUARE ENIX
Publisher: SQUARE ENIX 
Owners: 547,669 ± 18,929

Mike_L said:
vivster said:
The only thing it needs is to sell amazingly on PC.

What do you mean?

I guess you see the problem here. It's not selling ten times as much on PC. It would be such a great relief for SE if they wouldn't have to release on consoles anymore. Finally being able to present their full vision without sacrificing visuals or performance.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.