By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV needs to be AMAZING.

okr said:

Together, estimation based on the recent enormous success of open world RPGs (Skyrim: 20+ million sold, The Witcher 3: 10+ million, Fallout 4: 12+ million), plus strong worldwide fan loyalty for the most successful Japanese RPG franchise not named Pokemon (e.g. the sales figures of old FF games on Steam are pretty impressive, provided Steamspy figures are close to being correct).

That would be crazy for the Final Fantasy series though. Over 6 million units above the best selling entry (not including ports) which is FFVII, which sold just under 10m on the PS1 at the height of the franchise.

It's important to note that the RPGs you mentioned are WRPGs, and sold like hotcakes in the west as such. FFXV, on the other hand, is a JRPG and since it's on a home console, it's likely it won't sell amazing numbers for the series standards in Japan itself (probably 1.5-2m), relying on the west for the vast majority of its sales. However, the west typically doesn't give 'that' much support to JRPGs. Even the most popular FF games, FFVII and FFX, sold 5-6m in the west respectively. Not 14m. 

I think the range of 8-10m is pretty safe in a general sense. Closer to 8m if it's just PS4 and XBO, but closer to 10m if it's ported to other devices (namely PC and NX). Even if it's ported to everything under the sun I don't see 16m happening though.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

I think it'll do fine. It looks like it's going to do way better than the likes of Duke Nukem Forever. Looks great, and likely plays well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

The issue isn't just the sales, guys. Considering how much FFXV is being pushed, the time it is taking to come out and so on but combined with the fact that the design of this game is very risky and pushes quite a lot of limits (most important part) of preconceived notions of what this established franchise is known for, it may influence other games from AAA developers upcoming or otherwise to just once again stay the general course of their defined path if it doesn't amaze everyone. But right now this game has a chance to convince developers that risk is ok because of how much FFXV is in the spotlight and how representative of such a concept it is.

MGS5 might have risked the most out all the established franchises this gen so far. It succeeded as well in regards to critical acclaim and sales. However, FFXV is an entire genre change and it also throws some artistic liberties out the door that have been known from FF. The stories in all FF games all have many differences, but just looking at the main cast of characters, this is the first time the very look of all the main party members looked so similar (they're all wearing black). This was intended for story purposes yes, but still the look is undeniably without much variety. It's a very bold move. And all of this is being done for a game that is 10 years in the making with more hype than any game in quite a while..if any other developer were in SE's shoes they probably would have canned this project a long time ago and "stayed the course" which would be much safer obviously.

Lube Me Up

Skullwaker said:
okr said:

Together, estimation based on the recent enormous success of open world RPGs (Skyrim: 20+ million sold, The Witcher 3: 10+ million, Fallout 4: 12+ million), plus strong worldwide fan loyalty for the most successful Japanese RPG franchise not named Pokemon (e.g. the sales figures of old FF games on Steam are pretty impressive, provided Steamspy figures are close to being correct).

That would be crazy for the Final Fantasy series though. Over 6 million units above the best selling entry (not including ports) which is FFVII, which sold just under 10m on the PS1 at the height of the franchise.

It's important to note that the RPGs you mentioned are WRPGs, and sold like hotcakes in the west as such. FFXV, on the other hand, is a JRPG and since it's on a home console, it's likely it won't sell amazing numbers for the series standards in Japan itself (probably 1.5-2m), relying on the west for the vast majority of its sales. However, the west typically doesn't give 'that' much support to JRPGs. Even the most popular FF games, FFVII and FFX, sold 5-6m in the west respectively. Not 14m. 

I think the range of 8-10m is pretty safe in a general sense. Closer to 8m if it's just PS4 and XBO, but closer to 10m if it's ported to other devices (namely PC and NX). Even if it's ported to everything under the sun I don't see 16m happening though.

But in defense of okr, there is a clear difference between FF15 and the other FFs: the gameplay.The gameplay is one that will appeal more to the world in general than past FFs, and thus give it more potential to sell more.And also,as far as I have seen, it is an open world, more than other interations at least.Not to mention that Square is pushing the hell out of it, with animes, conferences and whatnot.

I mean, it may still make no difference, but there is no doubt that the potential for selling around 15 million is there.The game only needs now to deliver on its hype.It will die or live based on that.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I have mix feelings about this game. I have seen some trailers that get me pessimist. Played the demo with Type 0 and was disappointed. But saw the last trailer and got some hope back. I will wait and see

Around the Network

Yeah... i would like for it to be good and do great... but the platinum demo left a bitter taste. If the final game isn't optimised this can end in disaster.

With that said, i'm sure it will sell at least 2m just from FF fans and hype generated.

I truly believe that ff15 is going to be the best final fantasy game since the ps2 era. I've said it before but I do genuinely think square Enix have done things right.
One thing the final fantasy games were brilliant at, was telling a story and getting you to really connect with the characters. Final Fantasys character building was second to none and I reckon SE are going to be back on form with FFXV.

I already quite like the 4 protagonist from what I've seen and you can see square are going to build a real strong relationship with these four and make the player feel it. I'm still sticking to my theory that one of the 4 are going to tragically die near the end of the game though. Square Enix said a few months ago that FFXV will make some gamers cry, so all I can think is their going to build up this strong friendship between these four main characters and then kill one of them off.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Im not disapointted at all in this generation. The games I've been looking forward to have been amazing.

And Im not disapointted at all in FF. The only FF I haven't enjoyed that much is FF13, but still I think it's a decent game. The only reason I think this game really needs to be amazing is for SE's sake, for it has taken too much to develop. And I don't see a reason to think its not gonna be.

The only thing it needs is to sell amazingly on PC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm not entirely sure an established franchise like Final Fantasy succeeding will entice any sort of willingness to experiment... Would be nice though.