By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV needs to be AMAZING.

Not just for the FF franchise.  Not just for SE.  Not just for the JRPG subgenre, RPG genre or Japanese games, but for the entire gaming industry. 

"Why?" you would ask?  Well for starters this generation has had several disappointing games come out...and many of them from well established franchises.  Games that were hyped up a lot and had some sort of problem with them.  Some issue that made them not so special, some thing that ruined them in gamers hearts in some way; whatever it is: less than expected reviews, DLC bombardment, technical problems, marketing decisions, game design issues, glitches, the works.    

FFXV has been a very long time coming.  The only other game that was announced (off the top of my head, and if I'm wrong someone correct me) that took longer to come out after being announced was Duke Nukem Forever.  One big difference between the two obviously however is hype.  FFXV is far more hyped up than Duke Nukem Forever...Ever was.  And after the Uncovered event, it has been pushed far above every game I can think of this generation for marketing purposes, going so far as to create an anime and even a full CGI movie, a CGI movie containing 3 of the most well known actors in television: Sean Bean, Lena Headey and Aaron Paul.  Also a car, can't forget the car.

What will it say if such a game of this caliber and for a game that has taken this long to come out isn't amazing?  By this caliber I mean not just of this level of production value with all the works, I mean a game of this standard specifically.  From the demo, we can gather that the approach to this game will be much different than most games out there.  Or for that matter especially, most AAA games.  The gameplay of FFXV will probably require experimentation and exploration of use to achieve  maximum enjoyment out of the game.  Based on the demo, you can play amazing if you can "git good".  But it might not be so difficult as this video below makes it out to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-ANQvMkXg

From the looks of it, switching between weapons while attacking and defending is what will require some practice, but I digress.  Let's hope that with some time anyone can play this well.  But let's also hope that even if you don't intend to use every technique available, people will love to experiment and figure things out to a certain extent to enjoy this game.  It would be a crying shame if this game turns out to be amazing, but only for hardcore gamers willing to learn new things or gamers that were waiting on this game for 10 or so years.  In the general scheme of things that wouldn't be considered amazing, because it would be too intimidating for some gamers to even care to try and to introduce them to new ideas and new playstyles.

FFXV is experimenting with so many things and defying what we though we would ever see in a FF game in both story and gameplay.  AAA video games, especially from well established franchises over this and the last generation seem to have for the most part found their space, and prefer consistency to change.  And reviewers and gamers seem content to let these franchises just be that way.  Which is fine, but I feel like a lot of games tend to get better reception  if they only meet or exceed expectations.  If expecations are defied however, or pushed and molded, usually its met with negativity.  As a result the game is punished for it.

The higher cost it takes to make a game, the riskier it will be to defer from the path as well.  SE however, as we have all become accustomed to are pretty much pioneers for change.  I don't think any other well established franchise has risked this much with so many different design elements.  It's scary indeed!  In the Fifteenth installment, there has never been another main FF with more change or defied choices of game design.

But imagine if this game does become beloved by most, and actually manages to amaze most who play it.  It sends a message to developers and gamers of all kinds that it is ok to experiment and try new things.  It is ok to push the boundaries and risk.

Conclusion:

The game turning out at least great is what many all hope for and want, but it needs to be even better than that to send the right message to everyone. If it fails to be amazing (even if the game is great overall)..it will just be another risky venture that sends a message to developers (especially AAA developers) not to experiment and try new things, thus staying comfortably numb to different ideas or possibilities. 

PS Coming-of-age open world games not withstanding :P  Was referring more to a game's entire approach, control, look, design etc staying very similar despite said open world trend in this generation.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

Yes, I know it's a huge wall to read. Read at your discretion or not :P Just felt like getting all that outta my system.

Lube Me Up

Ka-pi96 said:
Those 'disappointing' games were only disappointing to a vocal minority on the internet...

Agreed. 

I've highly enjoyed this generation, and honestly spent more time console gaming than I EVER had in the past (I've historically flip flopped between the current Playstation and PC).

sabvre42 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Those 'disappointing' games were only disappointing to a vocal minority on the internet...

Agreed. 

I've highly enjoyed this generation, and honestly spent more time console gaming than I EVER had in the past (I've historically flip flopped between the current Playstation and PC).

i have always spent more time console gaming than anyting, since i have a pretty crappy pc since years so i can't play anything new but i don't want to waste money upgrading it so that's why i stick with my ps4.

but yeah with games like bloodborne (92 on metacritic), PT/silent hills (only a teaser but it was an amazing horror experience) and until dawn (very good sales and reviews, a sequel is coming soon) for example i wasn't dissapointed at all, i believe this gen is more creative than the last one, and not just because of the games that have been released but the ones that will be released like detroit become human, the last guardian, dreams, wild, etc

Nope, it doesn't. It will sell 8 million copies regardless of quality, 16 million if it's loved by critics and gamers alike.

Around the Network

its already amazing

Witcher 3 will have achieved much more with less money. FF15 development was to convoluted.
This gen we had MGS5, Witcher 3 and will have Uncharted 4 shortly. There is plenty of success stories for amazing AAA games.

okr said:
Nope, it doesn't. It will sell 8 million copies regardless of quality, 16 million if it's loved by critics and gamers alike.

16 million? On just PS4 and XBO?

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Tabathedfield said:
sabvre42 said:

Agreed. 

i have always spent more time console gaming than anyting, since i have a pretty crappy pc since years so i can't play anything new but i don't want to waste money upgrading it so that's why i stick with my ps4.

Opposite for me, spent more years console gaming in the past but that chanegd from 2012 to today with me finding myself gaming more with PC now that I have a bit more income (and save on the side) to build a rig to my spec and after a year of it paying off for itself, with how this gen has turned out I really don't see much of a need to throw down £400+ for each console.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Skullwaker said:
okr said:

16 million? On just PS4 and XBO?

Together, estimation based on the recent enormous success of open world RPGs (Skyrim: 20+ million sold, The Witcher 3: 10+ million, Fallout 4: 12+ million), plus strong worldwide fan loyalty for the most successful Japanese RPG franchise not named Pokemon (e.g. the sales figures of old FF games on Steam are pretty impressive, provided Steamspy figures are close to being correct).