By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 720p still acceptable to you?

Well, is it?

Yes 571 64.30%

No 317 35.70%

Total:888

Not even on my phone..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

For a movie I want 1080p resolution froo my Bluyray, because transfers less than that can look awful (The Crow and hundreds of other great movies).

For gaming, as long as its above 720p it will look sharp, because games have much more going on to be distracted by ''low'' resolutions and there are also more important things in a game, such as fps etc.

i will still play 800*600 in 2020, so yes ofc

low res master race > 1080p noobs

Yes, it's acceptable to me. As long as the game looks decent, i'm fine with it. I'm more the gameplay, and it having a good story for me to enjoy.

Funny all these people saying resolution "doesn't matter". Where were they last gen...

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Not anymore no, especially unacceptable in today's games which use ton of effects and filters, becomes blurry.

720p is only okay with older games which don't use as many effects and in turn look sharper. Playing Outrun 2 on the Xbox 360 emulator at 480p upscaled to HD looks better than most 720p last gen games.

Thanks to PS4 I haven't played in 720p in a long time.

Imagine if the PS4 had an exclusive game running at 720P.

Wonder how many would say resolution "doesn't matter"

There were 720P games in 2006 and here it is 2016 and we have people claiming they can't see the difference between 720P & 1080P.

elektranine said:
Funny all these people saying resolution "doesn't matter". Where were they last gen...

Maybe they played Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii.

It's acceptable imo, it just depends on how the game looks overall. Honestly, I was surprised to hear that SW: Battlefront is 720p on X1, it looks quite sharp. Quantum Break is a funny one, sometimes it looks a bit soft but I still would have thought it's 900p and the visuals of that game are stunning.

Where I was last gen? Playing my xbox360 and totally unaware of this "console wars" thing going on in internet :)

Current gen gamers have no clue what makes a game look beautiful and sharp. 1080p is a base line of clarity however there are many effects this gen that makes games render under 1080p look sharper than anything last generation. In other words, 720p current gen looks sharper then 720p last gen. It’s all under clever development and optimising.
The best looking games so far this gen are Ryse 900p, The Order 800p and Quantum Break 720p. I bet most of those gamers claiming 1080p is the “Be All, End All” in gaming are put to shame when they see the visual quality of those games and have fun pixel counting on them as well.
Current Gen gamer worships 1080p, moments later plays an 8bit pixelated Indy game.

Everything is acceptable bar laziness, incompetence and sub 25 fps drops.

I'd  genuinely love to see what kind of effects and lighting a dev could push out at even lower resolutions. Jaggies are quite nostalgic for me so I'd like to see some indie devs explore that.