By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry vs Final Fantasy XV Platinum demo

They should just make it 720p, that way they can get strong performance with little issue.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Nate4Drake said:

Eh, that would be a Dream :)   1080p/60fps, with better textures and effects.

PS4K is rumoured to only have twice the power of a PS4. doing 1080p alone will eat up most of its resources let alone hitting 60 frames. If the specs are true then expect one or the other. Not both. PC however..

Only twice the power of a PS4? You mean almost 4TFlops instead of 1.84? 

LOL. Uncharted 4, for example, is a 1080p game that runs at 30fps in its single player campaign. Twice the power would easily make a locked 60fps possible at the same resolution. The same would apply for Final Fantasy XV. 

The things you say at times... -___- 

Wyrdness said:
They should just make it 720p, that way they can get strong performance with little issue.

720p for XBO and 900p for PS4 with proper AA and a stable framerate.

Heck, I think Episode Duscae looks pretty good already and only require just a little more work to polish its rough edges. I'd be fine with that look. 

At this point, I just want to play the damn thing already... 

Bandorr said:
VXIII said:

Smaller enemies are at level 1 throughout the demo. The boss at the end is at level 3. When you summon him again he will be at level 15. And then you will be able to unlock 2 secret weapons that represent additional aspects about the combat. ( Time based blocking to break the enemy defense and ranged aerial combo). I imagine that would be a good representation of the full game combat. Let me know if you are interested in some videos.

Never could figure out multi-quoting. Otherwise i'd edit my post to add this quote to it. Well since I can't - two post in arow.

I'd be interested in those videos. I think I saw some of the time based blocking (the shield) in one video, but I don't think I have see any ranged aerial combo yet.

Gladly. The first video explains most mechanics nicely. Especially how to use the Hero's Shield to your advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKkShDZySbw

The second video is for the whole battle, he pretty much shows everything. But in a quick fashion so you have to pay attention. He will kill Giant using the a quick ranged aerial combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEYvFS7w3KE

Hynad said:
Ruler said:

Nope it doesnt

No it doesn't... what?

Witcher 3 doesn't run better?

Why, yes, it definitely does. It runs better and is more stable than Episode Duscae and the Platinum Demo. As for the looks, The Witcher 3 also runs in full 1080p with proper anti-aliasing and motion blur and much further draw distance than what has been shown of Final Fantasy XV so far.  Aesthetically speaking (as in: art style), it's a matter of taste. But from a technical point of view, Final Fantasy XV in its current form doesn't come close to The Witcher 3. 

That being said, if Square-Enix manages to get the final game to run at a smooth 30fps (or at least much more consistently than the two demos), and improve the overall IQ, then it has a chance to get up there with The Witcher 3 as one of the best looking open world games on consoles. Until then, the game is simply not in the same league as The Witcher 3.

You should experience the 3 before making such baseless hit and run comments. 

Art style matter of taste? Its not an opinion its a fact.

FF15 looks like a cgi film in real time. Witcher 3 looks average and it runs @20fps in various locations on ps4 it was proven in countless of videos. I played both FF demos unlike you.

FF has

better alpha effects and magic effects

Giant unique creatures

Runs more stable on ps4

better weather effects

Better character models, every one looks like they have the same poligon count like the main character in witcher

Better lighting effect

Better everything

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

And they are all right. You don't seem to get that a DIFFERENT team wrote this in TWO months. Yet you are trying to judge the ENTIRE game written by the MAIN team that still has SIX(well 5+ at this point). more months to work on it.

It is like looking at a writer's apprentices doodle and going "well that painting will be crap". Or smelling the food someone else is making and claiming the banquest will taste awful.

You are taking a small part of something that isn't even going to be in the main game, that wasn't made by the main team, that was made very quickly - and judging the entire damn thing. It doesn't work like that.

You seem to have issue with the fact - you want to have issues. You bring something up, people give a valid response - and you get mad that what you brought up isn't entirely true. You are basically mad - that others don't agree with you. That people aren't flipping out that the framerate isn't perfect.

You seem to think this is the full game, and everyone else is treating it like it is - a demo.  A very quick demo made by another team that won't even be in the game. You seem to have based all your hopes and dreams on this demo, and when they aren't matched - got very mad that this didn't live up to everything you wanted.

Uhh...when did I say anything about the full game having the same issues? I'm pretty sure I specifically said that the demo has framerate issues, and doesn't look that great, but I never said that the final game would be the same way...The game is months away, even if it was from the full game, there's plenty of time to improve those aspects of the game.

Now, the combat system is another story. As I imagine that they wouldn't put a different system in a demo then what would be in the full game. I personally don't like it. Which is just my opinion of course. But once again people jumped in claiming it wasn't representative of the full game. But how? Why would they use a different combat system in a demo than in the full game? They'll almost certainly expand on it, but it's going to be same core system.

Your examples actually bring me quite neatly to my next point. Why does this demo exist? If someone showed you the doodle the apprentice did and said "here's a demo of what the painting is going to be like." you'd absolutely be at liberty to make assumptions about the whole product based on the demo that you were showed. That's the point of a demo.

If you were walking by a resteraunt and they offered you a free sample, and you didn't like the free sample, would you eat at that resteraunt? Would it make any sense for the person serving you to go "no, no, no, this isn't what our food is like. This was made by a sous chef really quickly." I imagine your main question would be "Why are you giving this as a sample, if it isn't what your food is like?"

Do you not see why this is a weird situation?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Ruler said:
Hynad said:

No it doesn't... what?

Witcher 3 doesn't run better?

Why, yes, it definitely does. It runs better and is more stable than Episode Duscae and the Platinum Demo. As for the looks, The Witcher 3 also runs in full 1080p with proper anti-aliasing and motion blur and much further draw distance than what has been shown of Final Fantasy XV so far.  Aesthetically speaking (as in: art style), it's a matter of taste. But from a technical point of view, Final Fantasy XV in its current form doesn't come close to The Witcher 3. 

That being said, if Square-Enix manages to get the final game to run at a smooth 30fps (or at least much more consistently than the two demos), and improve the overall IQ, then it has a chance to get up there with The Witcher 3 as one of the best looking open world games on consoles. Until then, the game is simply not in the same league as The Witcher 3.

You should experience the 3 before making such baseless hit and run comments. 

Art style matter of taste? Its not an opinion its a fact.

FF15 looks like a cgi film in real time. Witcher 3 looks average and it runs @20fps in various locations on ps4 it was proven in countless of videos. I played both FF demos unlike you.

FF has

better alpha effects and magic effects

Giant unique creatures

Runs more stable on ps4

better weather effects

Better character models, every one looks like they have the same poligon count like the main character in witcher

Better lighting effect

Better everything

You played both demos unlike me? Get out of here. I have both demos AND The Witcher 3. Heck, I even pre-ordered the Ultimate Collector's Edition of Final Fantasy XV, so it's not like I'm biased against either games when I address those points. Unlike you. 

I think you buy into the hype way too much to see things rationally and reasonably. And I know discussing this further with you is going to be an exercise in futility. So I'll leave it at that.

VXIII said:
Bandorr said:

Never could figure out multi-quoting. Otherwise i'd edit my post to add this quote to it. Well since I can't - two post in arow.

I'd be interested in those videos. I think I saw some of the time based blocking (the shield) in one video, but I don't think I have see any ranged aerial combo yet.

Gladly. The first video explains most mechanics nicely. Especially how to use the Hero's Shield to your advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKkShDZySbw

The second video is for the whole battle, he pretty much shows everything. But is a quick fashion so you have to pay attention. He will kill Giant using the a quick ranged aerial combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEYvFS7w3KE

Hey, thanks for posting those. I'm still not 100% sure I'll like it, but that does look better. I'll have to play through the demo again later on tonight.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

PS4K is rumoured to only have twice the power of a PS4. doing 1080p alone will eat up most of its resources let alone hitting 60 frames. If the specs are true then expect one or the other. Not both. PC however..

LOL. Uncharted 4, for example, is a 1080p game that runs at 30fps in its single player campaign. Twice the power would easily make a locked 60fps possible at the same resolution. The same would apply for Final Fantasy XV. 

But we are not talking about UC4 are we. We are talking about FF15 which runs lower then 900p and drops to 15 frames.

The things you say at time... -___-

Nice trying to change the game topic.

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

PS4K will render UC4 at 60 frames because it already runs at 1080p. FFXV is not 1080p and like Azzanation pointed out will only render one or the other not both with twice the power.

You proved his point. 

Fact is twice the power isnt enough to boost both specs of a game and in XV's case needs both.

Its all rumours anyway.